PS3 news

Missy

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
Those who were concerned that they might be forced to play mainly PS2 games on their new premium price PS3 console can stop worrying. Sony has revealed that there will be at least 21 games available in the US on launch day November 17. In addition the provision of free online gaming may be Sony's ace card.

PS3 owners will be able to play games online for free and the GUI for accessing data stored on the hard drive will be similar to that used on the PSP.

Aside from superior graphics from its Cell processor, the free online gaming component may be a valuable ace card that Sony has up its sleeve to counter criticism from gamers about the significant price differential between PS3 and Xbox 360.

Gamers have indicated that they could care less about the PS3's integrated Blu-ray player. The jury is also out on whether the superior graphics capabilities will be a sufficient lure for gamers to hand over their extra cash.

However, free online gaming for PS3 compared for the user pays Xbox Live online gaming system provides Sony with some ammunition in a total cost of ownership argument.

At US$50 a year for Xbox Live and out of the box games costing the same US$60 for both platforms, the cost of ownership for PS3 for the 20GB US$499 model is equivalent to the 20GB US$399 Xbox 360 Pro with an Xbox Live subscription after two years.

All of this assumes of course that the online PS3 service at least matches the experience provided by Xbox Live

Source

Well that could make things rather interesting indeed. I like how they say no-one cares about blu-ray, hehehe. 21 games from launch is pretty good as well I think.

The only positive I can see about the whole Blu-Ray thing is how it will relate to games and the amount of information that can be stored. I don't give a damn about Blu-Ray or HD-DVD movies, because I already have DVD copies of my favourite movies, and I'm not about to upgrade.

The online capabilites are sounding pretty good, and from what I've read Sony are going about it the right way. I still doubt it will be as good as Xbox Live though.

Unless Sony significantly bumps up their online services, you really can't compare what you get with XBL to what you get with PlayStation Online. Microsoft has that area fine-tuned to the point that I'm more than happy to toss out $50 a year to support it, and most of the cool features are there for Silver (non-paying) Xbox owners anyway. Some "trump card."

Below, is the list of PS3 titles that will launch between November 17 and Christmas, 2007:

1. Blazing Angels: Squadrons of WWII (Ubisoft)

2. Call of Duty 3 (Activision)

3. Fight Night Round 3 (Electronic Arts)

4. The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (Bethesda Softworks)

5. F.E.A.R. (Vivendi Universal Games)

6. Full Auto 2: Battlelines (Sega)

7. Genji: Days of the Blade (Sony)

8. Madden NFL 07 (Electronic Arts)

9. Marvel: Ultimate Alliance (Activision)

10. Mobile Suit Gundam: Crossfire (Namco Bandai Games)

11. NBA 07 (Sony)

12. NBA 2K7 (2K Sports)

13. Need For Speed Carbon (Electronic Arts)

14. NHL 2K7 (2K Sports)

15. Resistance: Fall of Man (Sony)

16. Ridge Racer 7 (Namco Bandai)

17. Sonic the Hedgehog (Sega)

18. Tiger Woods PGA Tour 07 (Electronic Arts)

19. Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Vegas (Ubisoft)

20. Tony Hawk's Project 8 (Activision)

21. Untold Legends: Dark Kingdom (Sony Online Entertainment)

Most of those games are already out for the 360. I was playing Tiger Woods 07 a few minutes ago as a matter of fact. The only game that is different than anything out already is Resistance, and I don't know if it's worth buying a PS3 just for that game.

• 4 weeks later...

We all know the PS3 sold out in Japan last weekend, but that's not the real story. There has been rumors that most of the sales were to poor Chinese nationals being paid by rich Japanese businessmen so they can sell them for huge profits.

http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/top/foreigner...side-214130.php

Now, look at the games sold to people that bought the systems, and you can see that the above is probably true.

Also from Kotaku:

Total Hardware Sales: 81,639

PlayStation 3 60 GB: 45,774 PlayStation 3 20 GB: 35,865

Ridge Racer 7: 21,654

Mobile Suit Gundam: Target In Sight: 21,309

Resistance: Fall of Man: 13,545

Genji: Days of the Blade: 8,766

Sega Golf Club: 1,410

That's a total of 66,684 games sold alongside 81,639 consoles. Meaning at least 14,955 people did not buy any games with their PS3 unit.

Next, we find out that we can change the hard drive to a larger one pretty easily.

Also, we can change the operating system. That one is actually in the manual.

Here is the problem I see with these things. Hacking. Sony has done a great job of making their system hackable by using Linux. There is one guy that already put in a 300 GB hard drive just to play downloaded games. Do you remember why the Dreamcast died? They lost all the game companies support.

If nobody is actually buying your games because they can just use bootleg copies, then you would stop making games for that system right? Add to that the horrible sales of the games right out of the gate, and you might see a lot of games getting canceled soon. When the 360 was launched, the games sold per unit was like 3 games for every system sold. With the PS3, it's not even 1 per unit.

Just wait until this weekend. It's going to be a bloodbath for the US launch.

What do you think helped Sony be the dominant player for so long. There is a very strong belief they were the ones that released the mod-chip of PS1, to help boost system sales and cover the R&D quicker. It also meant that with bigger distribution they could get MORE game companies on board.

While I agree a difference of 14000 odd games is a bit of a worry, it could just be people are waiting for their next paycheck. What is a good sign for Sony is that the more expensive system is what sold the most.

Early days yet.

What is a good sign for Sony is that the more expensive system is what sold the most.

Especially when you consider that unlike USA which has a set price of 599, Sony of Japan left it up to the stores to price the 60gb system at whatever they wanted. So there were reports of some stores charging twice as much for it.

Case in point: while waiting for the train this evening, a drunken bum began crying / yelling / mumbling to God about killing sinners... praying for sinners... crying for sinners... and so on. It was humorous, pathetic and oddly enthralling all at the same time. He eventually threw his plastic bottle of whatever to the ground and stumbled up the Escalator.

A friend of mine was on the train once and saw a rather amusing transient sitting across from her. Thinking no-one would believe her as to the persons appearance, she pulled out her phone, pretended to write an sms and took the persons photo. Unfortunately, she forgot the phone/camera made a loud 'shutter' noise when used.

This person stared at her with a glint in their eye normally reserved for the last bone in the bin at the shelter. Scared for her life, she made her way to the door and got off at the next stop. The bum followed her out and up the escalators, in a similar vein to how Principal Skinner follows Bart. A couple of exits and tram rides later, she lost the guy. Vowing never to catch trains in the same time area as that.

Gamers line up for coveted PlayStation 3

By ANICK JESDANUN, Associated Press Writer

NEW YORK - Die-hard gamers and entrepreneurs prepared to shell out $500 or more for the new PlayStation 3 console that goes on sale Friday, many of them after waiting in line for days despite the likelihood they'd go home empty-handed.

Retailers across the country arranged midnight sales at some of their stores. Lines sometimes stretched around the block, even where the first consoles wouldn't be sold until Friday morning. Deliveries went down to the wire with FedEx vans sending boxes of the sleek black or silver consoles to individual stores Thursday.

Nine months pregnant, Julie Mosley said she tried to ignore her contractions for the chance to score machines for her family, her daughter's father and her younger brother.

"I'm going to hold out as long as I can," Mosley said Thursday as she sat on a cooler in the 19th spot outside a Circuit City in Mount Laurel, N.J., joking about giving birth on the sidewalk.

Potential customers braved freezing temperatures in Fargo, N.D., and heavy rain and winds in Baltimore and other East Coast locales.

"Katrina could come through here and I wouldn't switch," said Marco Cajas, 20, of Baltimore. "I spent the night on the cold street."

Short supplies and strong demand could be the formula for trouble as Sony Corp.'s PlayStation 3 makes its U.S. debut, a half-year late because of problems completing work on a built-in, next-generation DVD player.

The struggling electronics company, which has contended with laptop battery recalls and trails rivals in key products such as music players and liquid crystal displays, is counting on the PS3 to maintain and build its dominant position in video game consoles.

In Palmdale, Calif., authorities shut down a Super Wal-Mart after some shoppers got rowdy late Wednesday and started running around inside the store. In West Bend, Wis., a 19-year-old man ran into a pole and struck his head racing with 50 others for one of 10 spots outside a Wal-Mart.

At a Circuit City Stores Inc. location in New York, potential buyers traded accusations of line-cutting and tried to avoid fights amid heightened emotions.

"You can't even sleep unless you have your eyes open," Wataru Nada said.

Some customers were buying PS3 machines for themselves or as gifts, but many were hoping to resell them at a profit. Even before Friday's launch, units were fetching four or five times their retail price at the eBay Inc. auction site.

"As soon as I buy it, I'm going to sell it," said Jose Mota, 26, who grabbed the first spot in line Tuesday outside the Union City, Calif., Best Buy. "People will pay whatever just to get their hands on one."

Many stores reported calm.

At a Best Buy in Boston with 140 machines for sale, employees simply gave out tickets for the first 140 in line so that everyone can go home.

At San Francisco's Sony Metreon mall, a "sacred scroll" notebook kept track of the first 505 people in line so they could go to the bathroom or pick up food without losing their spots. Some even got wristbands guaranteeing a unit.

"It's pretty cool that I'd be one of the first people in the country to have it," said Chris Toribio, 21. "Being in line, waiting here with all these other people and making a big deal of the introduction — in some ways this all feels even better than actually buying the game."

There was even a vibrant economy in Mount Laurel, N.J. Restaurants not only delivered pizza and wings, but also dispatched workers to hand out menus. The Dick's Sporting Goods store nearby sold camp chairs and more than a few tents.

Machines sold out quickly in Japan when they went on sale last Saturday. Plagued with production problems, Sony only had 100,000 available for the Japanese launch.

Sony promised 400,000 PS3 machines for the United States on Friday and about 1 million by year's end. Worldwide, it was expecting 2 million this year, half its original projections. Sony has already delayed the European launch until March.

Even as retailers drummed up publicity by throwing parties and inviting celebrities, Best Buy Co. Inc. and others tried to lower expectations and curb any frustrations by warning customers all week that supplies would be tight. Game retailer GameStop Corp. said it won't be able to fulfill all of its pre-orders on launch day.

Jack Tretton, executive vice president at Sony Computer Entertainment America, said retailers will be receiving new PlayStations daily — expedited by plane rather than ships.

"At some point we want to get to some degree of normalcy, but that remains to be seen," Tretton told The Associated Press, adding that seeing all the people camped out and lined up for the console "kind of makes all the effort worth it."

Enthusiasm for the PlayStation 3 wasn't dampened by its high price tag — $500 for the basic model with a 20-gigabyte drive and $600 for the 60-gigabyte version, which also has built-in wireless.

By contrast, Nintendo Co.'s Wii, which goes on sale Sunday, retails for $250. Microsoft Corp.'s Xbox 360, which had a year's head start over rivals, sells for $300 to $400.

Sony crammed the PlayStation 3 with the very latest in cutting-edge technology, and it dominated the previous generation of consoles with 70 percent of the global market. The company is counting on a boost as it struggles to mount a recovery after several years of poor earnings.

The PlayStation 3 was supposed to debut last spring, but Sony announced in March that it was still trying to complete the copyright-protection technology and other standards for the Blu-ray DVD players. The company said those preparations were initially to have been completed by September 2005.

Gamers waited anyhow, even as Sony conceded Tuesday that the new console won't run some of the 8,000 titles designed for previous PlayStations despite promises of being fully compatible. Awaiting a second round of shipments wasn't an option for many.

"By next year, everyone is going to have it," said Ever Ortiz, a high school junior from the Bronx, sitting in a camping chair and fenced off by police barricades in one of New York's busiest neighborhoods. "It won't be a great thing."

Just wait until this weekend. It's going to be a bloodbath for the US launch.

From Engadget:

Gunmen rob California store of PS3s in the nerdiest heist ever (ok, maybe the second nerdiest ever).

10 to 12 people robbed in PS3 line (dubious, but possible).

Sheriffs shut down another California store for rowdy behavior.

Police break up NY SonyStyle store fight.

Brawl breaks out at another Wally when manager plays musical PlayStation chairs. Seriously, what an idiot.

Shots were apparently fired at a Texas Wally. Pics here and here of the 5-0.

Two armed, masked robbers overtook a customer in Springfield.

North Fresno / Merced had stampede-riot insanity.

A career criminal student of mine positioned friends of his all over Vancouver Island and procured 17 60 gig PS3s for market price and is turning around to sell them for $4000 a piece online.

Bastard. I used the "help a brother out" line and he refused. I even offered an A in English!

Seventeen? Seventeen! Fucking greedy prick! All I want is one! One! Not for me, mind you, but to sell on eBay to pay for my damn root canal. Here I am making shit per year, barely scraping by, with debt like you wouldn't believe and no insurance, and this fuckin kid can somehow secure $10,000-plus to buy 17 goddamn PS3s to sell for a net profit of roughly $58,000. Motherfucker.