Every comic you've read in 2013

Missy

Green Arrow #1-53: Yeah, I know. I'm not done and will probably continue with the series, but my initial thoughts are:

1. Kevin Smith did a piss-poor job of bringing Ollie back. The stumbling he does with the supernatural stuff is easily no better than hack work. Hard to believe this came after his DD work which was okay for a first time comic writer. The best thing he did is introduce Mia. Onomatopoeia is a bullshit villain with no reason whatsoever to be here. Hester and Parks, however, kill it from page one. Every single issue. So. Fantastic.
  2. Meltzer's follow-up arc was better but still very clunky.
  3. Winnick comes in and kicks ass immediately. From the crossover with Kyle Rayner to him showing how it is you do a supernatural GA story to meet with the HIV Mia storyline. Great stuff. The Mia stuff feels rushed at times and out of nowhere, but the character is strong and far from typical.
  4. Overall, the relationship with Connor and Ollie is fantastic. Mia SHOULD have been a breakout character for DC. Arsenal was gold in every appearance, as sparse as it was.
  5. I like Brick as a villain, bigtime.
  6. Tom Fowler's work is really ugly in this series, but I usually love his work.

Edit: forgot the digital stuff I've read over the holidays too:

American Terrorist #1

Arsenic Lullaby part 1

Arsenic Lullaby part 2

Batman The Ten Cent Adventure

Batman Vol 1 Court of Owls-Not as good as everyone is saying. It feels like every writer has to "take Batman past the limits of human torment" in order to write a story. I don't buy it. This one also has a clever drug sequence that would have been great in issue format, but is completely fucked digiitally. I thought it was a printing mistake until I heard an interview with Mike Carlin talking about how it is screwed up. Not great. I won't read further, but the Capullo art is nice.

Final round-up: fewer single issues than last year but far more GNs, trades and omnbibi. Overall, a lot more comics read.

Comics: 846
Trades: 53
Omnibus: 12
Graphic Novels: 51

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mega Man: Let The Games Begin - Super quick read and incredibly rushed. Basically this is Mega Man 2 crammed into 4 issues. Had potential if they made battles last longer than two panels.

Which brings my totals to

Comics - 208
Graphic Novels - 24
Trades - 42 (255)

Which is way down from 2012. Hopefully I vastly improve this number in 2014.