• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I saw it last night in IMAX and 3D.

For the first time in a looooong time, I was glued to the screen from the moment the film started to the end credits rolling. I didn't get fidgety, start wondering what the time was or how long the film had left. Even Avengers didn't do that for me.

Idris Elba was, as always, amazing. "One. Don't ever touch me. And two, don't ever touch me." Our Hero was really just a slab of meat, but that didn't matter.

A+. Possibly A++.

I liked it, though not as much as I would've liked to have.

I think part of the problem was that the human characters meant almost literally nothing to me at all. Mako was the only one I cared about, and I do mean the ONLY one. So essentially the entire movie was held up by how cool the robot fights were. And they were pretty cool.

Pacific Rim came in a distant third in the box office below Despicable Me 2 (which I can understand) and Grown Ups 2, which makes my heart sad.

I loved it, but I'm not shocked. Pacific Rim is nerdbait to the nth degree, and a shit-ton of fun, but if you didn't grow up a fan of kaiju, or super robot anime, or both, this probably wasn't going to look like much to you. Almost everyone who's seen it has loved it, but not enough people have seen it.

So get people to see it, or Sandler wins.

Looks that way.

For me personally, I think this will almost work BETTER on home video. My memories growing up watching super robot anime (and kaiju movies, to a lesser extant) was on UHF stations in my living room. Giant robots are supposed to fight sea monsters on TV. Besides which, the fight scenes could be confusing as hell on the big screen (a big dark thing hits another big dark thing), and in my experience watching it at home is usually easier in that regard.

So, yeah, definitely a blu-ray purchase.

Looks that way.

For me personally, I think this will almost work BETTER on home video. My memories growing up watching super robot anime (and kaiju movies, to a lesser extant) was on UHF stations in my living room. Giant robots are supposed to fight sea monsters on TV. Besides which, the fight scenes could be confusing as hell on the big screen (a big dark thing hits another big dark thing), and in my experience watching it at home is usually easier in that regard.

Funny; I actually told someone yesterday that seeing Pacific Rim on the small screen would be missing the point. I think classic kaiju works on a small screen because of the older-style cinematography, but Pacific Rim has camera angles tailored for a large theater environment.

I really enjoyed the film so fucking much. It delivered on what I wanted which was a movie with mechs beating the hell out of giant monsters. It also helped that all the actors delivered on multiple levels. Rinko Kikuchi has come a long way from Babel and, even though Charlie Hunnam was the main character and all, I think she had the best arc of any of the characters. I usually hate comic relief characters in my action movies but they actually worked here and actually added something to the plot. Plus they were actually funny. Idris Elba is one of our best living actors so nothing else I can say there. Same with Ron Perlman. Really, in the end, I give the movie props for being what it is and not trying to be a metaphor for something else or having some kinda heavy handed political message. It's a movie that can stand shoulder to shoulder with any of the classic Kaiju films. Due to length, I would probably watch them first but still, such an awesome film. Also, let me just say that I was so happy that we FINALLY got a summer action movie with no romantic sub-plot. I kept expecting Mako and Raleigh to kiss or something like that and I'm glad they didn't go that way.

I think it's going to be one of those word of mouth movies because the showing I was originally going to was sold out last night on a Wednesday.

Also, let me just say that I was so happy that we FINALLY got a summer action movie with no romantic sub-plot. I kept expecting Mako and Raleigh to kiss or something like that and I'm glad they didn't go that way.

Word. Hunnam and Kikuchi really didn't have a lot of chemistry, and I actually cheered a little when the camera pulled out and they didn't make out.

I think it's going to be one of those word of mouth movies because the showing I was originally going to was sold out last night on a Wednesday.

I think you might be right. People who see this movie love it, are telling their friends, and are seeing it multiple times.

Looks that way.

Dan, I saw it in 3D and there was no problem whatsoever telling who was hitting - or throwing - who. Neither Jaeger or Kaiju were big dark things.

Do yourself a favor and go and see this. If you haven't already. :)