Episode 30

RSS

Having watched every episode and discussed the show in full, how can Ian and Dave bring their episode count up to 30? By discussing two Blake's 7 radio plays from the 1990s, of course. In "The Sevenfold Crown," the Scorpio race to beat Servalan to a crown that will give the wearer phenomenal cosmic power. In "The Syndeton Experiment," Avon's attempt to bring the fight to the Federation leads the crew to a mad scientist and his army of three-legged purple robots. They also discuss why the word "hyperdrive" makes Dave so annoyed, try to picture how a wolf-snake would work, and announce their next podcasting project. [ 1:37:15 || 47.1 MB ]

To listen, click here: http://www.earth-2.net/podcasts/shakeandblake/episodes/shakeandblake_030.mp3

I might be stretching here, but I think Dr. Rossum is a reference to Blade Runner via Batman: The Animated Series.

In Blade Runner, William Sanderson plays JF Sebastian, a brilliant, yet unhealthy man who helps design the Replicants.

In the two-part Batman: The Animated Series episode "Heart of Steel," Sanderson plays the cyborg designer Karl Rossum. This character is an admitted homage to Sebastian, right down to the casting.

In The Syndeton Experiment, released seven years after "Heart of Steel," Dr. Rossum is ill and has created superior beings using technology.

It could be a coincidence that Dr. Rossum and Karl Rossum share a name and interests, but I'm not so sure and I'm sticking with my roundabout homage to Blade Runner theory.

• 5 years later...