What games are you currently playing?

Mr. Keith

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finished Mass Effect 2. Having a difficult choice right now. I have never beat 3. I bought it first day, got up through Palaven, then I heard about all the backlash and I kinda just set it aside, never beating the game. Maybe it's because I've gotten through two games in a short amount of time, but I feel invested to actually go and beat the game now. The one problem I'm facing is that I have nearly none of the DLC and I'm actually interested in it and I'm going to be broke for a bit. Aria was a character I really enjoyed in two, I was always a fan of the mythology of the game, and everyone who played Citadel said it was some of the best parts of the series. So, might just take a break, play some other PS3 game or something. Not sure.

Got Until Dawn on sale a week ago and finished it in that time. Good game, liked the overall mood, the writing was decent and the performances were all good.(Except Rami Malek, which was disappointing) Did pretty well in it, 4 out of 8 characters still alive by the end of it. Got my favorite character killed, but I'll be doing another playthrough and fixing that.

Working my way through Fallout 4. I haven't really been able to get into this series before now for whatever reason (I spent quite a few hours with New Vegas before wandering away from it unfinished), but I'm really enjoying this one. It's actually fairly challenging, and the story is interesting. Of course, the fact that it's set in post-apocalyptic Boston makes it that much more engaging to me. They did a terrific job, too; at one point I was blown away when I realized that I was standing in a neighborhood I used to live in.

• 2 weeks later...

Finished Life is Strange last week. A few thoughts there.

Okay, so, over and over you're reminded that THESE ACTIONS WILL HAVE CONSEQUENCES. Except that I can't think of one decision made at any point in the game that isn't completely undone by time travel by the end of the fifth episode. And the ending choice is completely independent of anything else that happens in the game (and the game is clearly pushing you towards the choice it wants you to make).  I looked up the ending I didn't choose, and it's clearly a punishment ending, short, abrupt, and lacking any real emotional resolution to what went before it. The only choice that the game seems to want is for me to kill the girl I love (which again, they never entirely commit to, just tease us with). And yes, I did play Max/Chloe towards the romantic angle.

Also I hate the stealth sections with a burning passion. Great ride, though. 

Jim finished up Dishonored last week too. He did a low chaos playthrough, and I'm surprised at how quick/abrupt the ending was?

The other two henchguys were poisoned, and the one guy got choked out, and then Emily was saved and the game was over. I was expecting a lot more gameplay out of the sudden betrayal twist, but it was maybe another hour tops?

We're both very interested in the sequel, though. And the game actually made him like steampunk, which is a minor miracle. 

Edited by Venneh

• 3 weeks later...

I decided to step outside of my regular comfort zone and played Coming Out on Top which is a gay dating sim. In it, you play a recently out college student. Through about four playthroughs, I have ended up:

1. Causing a guy I was tutoring to fail a paper then end up just celebrating with my roommates while getting oddly close to my goldfish
  2. Missing out completely on all dating opportunities then getting killed by an Uber driver while on a date with a prosecutor
  3. Quit the tutoring job when the evil chick that "tutors" for blowjobs got in my face, told all to the NCAA about the state of the academic program for football at the school only to wake up in bed and get murdered by the schools mascot
  4. Nearly ended up in a relationship with my roommate only to meet an older bear at a gay bar, end up in a relationship with him, wrote some really terrible poetry with a parody of Clippy in Microsoft Word (who admits to being a tool to spy on people), and having to do a tag-team wrestling match to fight for his honor against the bear's Keats quoting ex. This is all after going on a date where we got a Breakfast at Tiffany's inspired dinner while watching the film and Jesus Christ, this has to be the best ending.

Just got done with Rise of the Tomb Raider, and was kind of surprised at just how much I enjoyed it. I never got into this series in a big way, but it was one of the limited options for a free game that came with my Xbox One, so I figured what the hell, having heard decent things about it. It was fairly challenging without being an exercise in over the top frustration.

I'm upset that it's a timed exclusive, I hope they give PS4 users something extra. 

I got Gravity Rush and it's pretty fun so far. I like the powers and the art style is really nice. I might not get to play too much of it since finals are approaching but hey.

Currently playing through Persona 4 (the original, not any of the special editions), and though I liked P3 FES, I'm liking this a lot more. I've maxed out Nanako, Chie, and Yukiko, and am on track to max out Rise and Dojima. Just at the end of summer break. 

• 4 weeks later...

So I (finally) finished Fallout 4 yesterday. Ultimately? It's not as good as New Vegas. It's still a fun game, but I think Bethesda could have polished it a little more. Plus, I think the hype surrounding this game led to expectations being a little too high. But, ultimately, I was satisfied with the game. Is it perfect? Nope. But good. 

Finished Persona 4, it was pretty freaking great, especially if you put in the effort to go for the true end (which you do by pretty much telling everyone to calm the fuck down already).

Persona 4 Arena Ultimax, however, feels like someone's Persona 3 and Persona 4 crossover sequel fanfic got made into a visual novel, and they decided to tack on a fighting game as an afterthought. Got this free on PS+, and played through the Persona 3 and 4 story modes; its mostly clicking through the story and pretty minimal fights in between. Might try the fighting part on its own.

Persona 3 FES is finally clicking for me, though - I hadn't managed to get very far the last two times I tried it, but I started playing it with Jim on Friday night and the only time we stopped was to come back to my place. We're at July, and will be picking it up there when we get back. (Having Mitsuru in the party now helps lots.)

• 2 weeks later...

Finished Persona 3 FES (or at least the Journey section of it) on Wednesday. Holy shit, if you had asked me my first two playthroughs, I couldn't have told you why people were so into this. But now that I've finished the main playthrough, I get it, I absolutely get it. Once the story is done setting things up and finally gets into its paces, it's great stuff. I still like P4's overall story and mechanics better, but if they can wed that to P3's ability to fuse more Personas and max out more Social Links, I think we'll have the perfect Persona. (Maybe for P5. God that's looking fucking gorgeous.) Tartarus and its ability to murder you in random fights even playing on the normal setting is the fucking worst, though. 

And apparently there are Vita exclusive remakes (P3P and P4: Golden) that improve on these even further so guess who might be finding a cheap Vita. (YOU CAN SOCIAL LINK THE DOG)

Currently playing:

-Persona 3: The Answer: The epilogue dungeon crawl. I already like Metis lots. Jim will likely be handling some of the dungeon crawls, as the difficulty automatically goes up to high in this mode (fuck you, game). 
-Odin Sphere: Leifthrasir: Altus remastered and remade Odin Sphere. You can actually run it without it freezing and stalling in the middle of a boss battle now! Finished Gwendolyn's run, and starting the new chapter (Oswald? I think? TBH I forget). I only got about this far the first time I tried playing it on the PS2, so I'm looking forward to going in blind from here. It's even more gorgeous on the PS4, and I'm severely tempted to try and reverse engineer the recipes we make to level up/heal. 
-Overwatch: Yup. On PS4. Just finding my feet with characters I like (so far: Lucio, Mei, Zarya) doing well in matches against AI, we'll see how I hold up in battles against actual humans. 

Edited by Venneh

Lego Dimensions is pretty fun. It's got the same goofy sense of humor as most other Lego games and it's a good way to kill time (you can bang through a level in about an hour or two) without becoming a huge time sink.

However, what gives it extra points for me is that the Doctor Who levels are, in point of fact, a really, really good Doctor Who game. Like, for the first time ever, I'm playing a decent Who game that makes solid use of TARDIS travel and multiple time zones, and then when my Twelve died and I came back as One, I was sold. Plus, you can ride around on a little K-9 and blast the shit out of Imperial Daleks, and that's awesome.

I've been going through Jak II: Renegade lately, specifically the HD version on the PS3. It looks really good, has a great story, amazing characters, and some really great locations and set pieces. The only downsides are that I think that the driving controls are a little to finnicky, and that Naughty Dog cranked up the difficulty spike to eleventy-stupid. At some points, it's a legitimate challenge, but at other times, the game feels a bit tedious. I still really love it, it's a great game. But maybe it could have gotten a few adjustments in some areas. 

• 1 month later...

I'm about twenty minutes into the first episode of Batman: The Telltale Series. Interesting if not super compelling as yet. The Batman gameplay is "Press Y now, okay, now press X, okay, good job", while the Bruce Wayne stuff so far is nothing but conversation trees. It's laying the groundwork for a decent enough story, but as a game, it's okay. I don't regret spending $4.99 on it.

Finished:

-Persona 3: The Answer: the dungeons were a hell of a thing, but the story/epilogue as it played out was pretty great. Metis and Mitsuru forever. Yukari really got fucked up by protagonist dick in absentia though.

-Odin Sphere: Leifthrafair: It's great to finally be able to play this through. Gwendolyn, Oswald, and Velvet were my favorites, and while I could leave the other two stories, Velvet's still did an amazing job of weaving them all together while giving her her own arc. Gorgeous, and really did well by the graphics upgrade. Would love to see them do something like this for P3/P4.

-Mass Effect 2: We played through this in about five days, including all the DLC that came with the PS+ version. Super short, but that may be because we played it shortly after P3, which took us the better part of a month and a half playing almost nightly. Was able to come at it pretty well despite not knowing shit, loved all our various companions, and we're super interested in the next installment. Hilariously, we will be paying more for the DLC on that version than we will for the base game. 

Currently playing:

-Overwatch: at about level 90. Still fun, but needs more maps (I swear to Christ if I have to run Dorado one more fucking time), or at least a better randomized server wise for location. Skins are okay and I'm glad we're starting to get more characters. 

-Bioshock Infinite: Jim started this the other night. I forgot how casually racist this game was. Probably going to be a game we take on in small concentrated doses. 

-Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch: aka that one time Ghibli teamed up with a video game studio and made a game. Very aimed at kids, we're getting a lot of mechanics thrown at us left and right, and I don't know if they'll come entirely together, but it'll be fun to play in small doses.

Edited by Venneh

• 2 weeks later...

So, I started playing the new Doom game, to get my mind off of everything. And, well, it's helping a lot. Yeah, it's basically like the old-school games, with a bit of cheeky fun thrown in. But it's also really rewarding with the lore stuff already, and I'm probably barely an hour in. So, yeah. Doom's shooting way up on my 2016 GOTY list. 

• 2 weeks later...

I finished Remember Me on the 360. Like any cult hit, there's an equal amount of things to dissuade people from playing it as there are to recommend about it. Combat is flashy but frustratingly simple and non-flowing. I sorta get why combos have to be chained with a single enemy every time but the way they allow any other movement, even dodging, to disrupt it really lets it down. Arkham, this is not. And the world is just so cramped. About four Assassin's Creed games had come out by this point, so I don't see the reason why not to broaden it even a little bit. Plus there's just some godawful voice acting. 

Where this scores for me is in the world. Neo-Paris is just a delight to look at, and the technology developed is equal parts fascinating and eerie. I love the robots that are omnipresent, despite them being so creepy-looking that I have no idea why they even took off as domestic servants. The obligatory audio recordings and journals do a good job of giving a glimpse into the lore. The memory remix parts are a nice gimmick. 

Lastly, Nilin's a fantastic protagonist. I don't know why she didn't take off more, considering that she's a complex, biracial, female character with an distinctive (but cosplayable) look. I really enjoyed the self-reflective chapter breaks that lets her react to the events of the story. She's played really well by Kezia Burrows, who I'd previously known as who played(but not voiced) Amanda Ripley.

Overall, a game with so much more potential than is realized, but what's on the screen is pretty good. I'd really love to see this remade someday. Probably not gonna happen, but I'm glad that DONTNOD got successful with Life is Strange.

• 2 weeks later...

Mass Effect 3: We ended up playing from Thessia straight through to the end yesterday evening. For the most part, we really liked it. The stakes felt appropriately high (and goddamn, it hurt to lose who we did - Thane, Mordin, Legion), and it hurt the more we went through the game. The one complaint I have is that we can't really do anything romance wise until the end of the game no matter how soon we lock it in (we had a FemShep who romanced Liara through 2 and 3). The only DLC we had was From Ashes (which I am genuinely surprised wasn't part of the main game, given how integral it was), and the extended ending DLC. There was some holding of the idiot ball with Kai Leng, but for the most part, the plot was on point up until we met the Catalyst. Even with the extended ending, (we had 3100ish EMS and went Synthesis) we were both yelling at the screen because some of that is some bullshit (though the context the DLC provided is appreciated). That "tell me more about the Shepard" post credits scene can fuck the fuck right off, though.

picked up ME 1 on sale, so we're probably going to try a run all the way from the beginning (not soon though), and pick up the Leviathan and Citadel DLC. We're also watching all the romances on YT and figuring out who we want to try for the next run (Tali and Jack are bae so far, watched them and Garrus romance wise last night).

also expect some yelling on a podcast about this at some point.

Currently playing: 

-Overwatch: the new map is a haul and a half but it's so much fun, and I'm actually trying my hand at Mei more now. 

-Abzu: I can't figure out how to make the diver go forward on PS4. This is embarrassing.