KONG: KING OF SKULL ISLAND

Dread

• 8 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Saw it yesterday. I liked it, but the political overtones are a bit much.

Spoiler

OK, the idiotic American military is the real villain. Kong is actually a hero and the native peoples are far more honorable than the idiot Americans.

Can't we just have a monster movie?

5 hours ago, S-T said:

Saw it yesterday. I liked it, but the political overtones are a bit much.

Reveal hidden contents

OK, the idiotic American military is the real villain. Kong is actually a hero and the native peoples are far more honorable than the idiot Americans.

Can't we just have a monster movie?

Ok...but it IS a monster movie.

1 hour ago, S-T said:

It is, and the political stuff was not needed.

Ok, says you. But that movie had more monster fighting than most giant monster movies that I've ever seen, and I think it's safe to say I've seen lots of them. I mean, there's nothing wrong with subtext. Unless you think that the US military is a benevolent force, a monster has to be evil or a bunch of natives couldn't possibly be honorable people.

Monster movies have had subtext since the beginning. The 1954 Godzilla's political message has been covered to death, but then you have stuff like King Kong vs Godzilla, which was a satire on commercialization, or Godzilla vs the Smog Monster, which tackled pollution. Hell, this isn't even the worst the American army looked in a monster movie, which is probably the 90s Godzilla vs King Ghidorah, where proto-Godzilla killed WW2 soldiers, to the cheers of Japanese forces (To be fair, that one did result in apologies from the studio).

2 hours ago, Davedevil said:

Hell, this isn't even the worst the American army looked in a monster movie, which is probably the 90s Godzilla vs King Ghidorah, where proto-Godzilla killed WW2 soldiers, to the cheers of Japanese forces (To be fair, that one did result in apologies from the studio).

Or in the 1998 Godzilla film for sheer incompetence.

I need to see this movie on the soon side.

On 8/6/2017 at 6:58 PM, Dread said:

Ok, says you. But that movie had more monster fighting than most giant monster movies that I've ever seen, and I think it's safe to say I've seen lots of them. I mean, there's nothing wrong with subtext. Unless you think that the US military is a benevolent force, a monster has to be evil or a bunch of natives couldn't possibly be honorable people.

And for once, Des and I agree on something. 

To each his own, I just found the politics of it off-putting.

I'm a politically active person, and a large portion of my life is politics. I've even been a candidate for office a couple times. But entertainment is my break from that, so I would rather politics be separate from my entertainment. (Unless it's explicitly a political parody or something, like President Sarah Palin in Iron Sky.)

I was hoping for a straight-up action film. And, in fairness, it did deliver really good action.

On 8/6/2017 at 6:58 PM, Dread said:

Unless you think that the US military is a benevolent force, a monster has to be evil or a bunch of natives couldn't possibly be honorable people.

I do not believe that a monster has to be evil, or that natives cannot be honorable. Please don't make assumptions.

As for the US military, it has done bad things and good things, and the civilian leadership of both parties has used the military for good and bad. But I'm not going beyond that very vague statement as I have no desire to get into a political discussion on the geek website.

I have many other outlets for that, both online and offline. Especially if I lose my mind and run for office again. :)

Didn't mind the Vietnam hangover feel of it but as far as this sort of thing goes I'm a much bigger fan of monster movies as disaster movies. And frankly, a monster movie that doesn't play into the stories and fears of the age is only half a movie.

Not that I'm suggesting the giant monkey have a blonde combover and start grabbing women...wait...uncultured ape attempting to dominate the New York skyline, will only be seen with woman who are clearly at least a 9, unleashed by an unwitting gang of self centred profiteers and now beyond their control...