All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Last week
  2. If you can't beat them, join them. Too little, too late. Egg on their faces. All these expressions and more come into play as Christian, Pandy, and Kelly kick off the latest season of Part of Your World with Chicken Little - Disney's first completely computer-animated feature film. Is it the cock of the walk or is it for the birds? [ download ]
  3. T2, Batman Begins, Fellowship (though it's close call), GoldenEye (not even close), and Raiders.
  4. The Terminator vs T2: Judgment Day Memento vs Batman Begins LOTR: Fellowship of the Ring vs The Wizard of Oz Pleasantville vs Drop Dead Gorgeous Goldeneye vs The Silence of the Lambs Raiders of the Lost Ark vs The Wicker Man (original)
  5. Split (2016): Continuing my Letterboxd list of comic/superhero movies I've missed. James McAvoy is one of my favorite actors, which is why I've always had some interest in this, but I never really sought it out until I watched and loved Unbreakable. Goddamn was this good. For all the unease around this movie's depiction of DID, I do think it's sympathetic to Kevin Crumb while still showing his alters' actions as horrifying. Then you have Casey (Anya Taylor Joy) being a survivor as well. It's a little typical for a horror movie with this type of premise, but it's a solidly told story with a good amount of empathy. Really curious how Glass ties it all together. I've heard mixed things but I feel like it'll be interesting regardless.
  6. This week, we do something we haven't done since episode 36 (from May of 2008): review six Lucio Fulci films in one episode! So first up, Desmond talks a bit about the "docudrama" Fulci for Fake. Then, Desmond and Tom talk about the giallo classic A Lizard in a Woman's Skin before Desmond goes solo on Dread Media Top 5 Capsule Reviews of Fulci Films Never Before Discussed on the Show! The list of films, in chronological order: Perversion Story (AKA One on Top of the Other), Murderock, The Devil's Honey, Aenigma, and Demonia. Songs included: "Fondate Paure" by Ennio Morricone, "A Lizard with the Skin of a Woman" by Mike Patton, "When Death Comes Crawling" by End Reign, and "Bodies in the Flotsam" by Zombi. [ download ]
  7. We're literally recording tonight, so you've made it! I'll keep my powder dry as to how we cover AA's early career next month until this episode goes live, but it will be addressed with reference to your suggestion.
  8. If this is late, sorry. Making a suggestion that is partially Will being a troll and partially serious. A lot of Amy Adams's early career were roles where she guest starred on teen shows on Fox and The WB. During that times, she starred in a pilot based off a recent popular film that got picked up but then was canceled before it aired. Fox decided, since they had two episodes worth of footage, to bring the cast back to shoot some additional footage and release it straight to video. So, I'm proposing Cruel Intentions 2. It reflect an early part of her career that normally wouldn't be able to be covered while also showing how far she had to go.
  9. Catwoman has gone up in my Flickchart as a result of rewatching it. Cat in the Hat is currently above it, but I'm not in a rush to rewatch it to test the science either.
  10. I am really feeling the show 2 episodes in!
  11. X-Men '97 Mother Fuckaaaaa 🔥🔥🔥
  12. Earlier
  13. The Holdovers: wow. Excellent. Great 70s feel. Giamatti at the top of his powers. That woman definitely deserved that Oscar. American Fiction: did not enjoy this. I thought it was stupid. It's got the plot of a bad 90s sitcom. Without Jeffery Wright, I would have turned this off. He's awesome. Perversion Story/Murderock/The Devil's Honey/Aenigma: reviews forthcoming. Florence: feature for the festival Features: 25 Shorts: Documentaries: 3 Rewatches:
  14. The high likelihood of many of the Lanterns being from post-money societies tells me they get paid nothing. Earth Lanterns had to keep day jobs.
  15. Ooof......... .......Catwoman. Catwoman sucks, but Cat in the Hat is fucking cringe. Catwoman at best is laughably bad, TCITH is practically unwatchable.
  16. Chicken Little vs. Shark Tale Catwoman vs. The Cat in the Hat
  17. This week, Terry Mitchell returns to discuss the 90s video game-themed horror film Brainscan. Then, I spend a few minutes paying tribute to my cousin. Songs included: "Leave Me Alone" by Butthole Surfers, "Welcome to This World" by Primus, "Hallowed Land" by Paradise Lost, and "Thought Crime Spree" by Pig Destroyer. RIP Steven Reddick. RIP Blake Harrison. Fuck cancer. [ download ]
  18. Terry Funk didn't seem that big in WWE but when you put a pro wrestler with normal-sized guys he looks enormous.
  19. Freddy vs. Jason - It has been a very long time since I watched this. I'm more of a nitpicker now, and I could probably write 1000 words on all of the plot holes, jumping to conclusions etc. And give me a break with the excuse that Kelly Rowland ad-libbed her infamous insult. The scene could have been re-shot, or that line edited out. You released the movie with the line.
  20. Memento The Shining The Dark Knight Spartacus Mad Max: Fury Road
  21. Good questions. Even if you mean the good (Cageless) Wicker Man, I think I'd still put Memento. Wicker Man is very good but also very 70's. The Dark Knight over Brian. In part because the Loretta part hasn't aged well and because of the random alien abduction in the middle. I'm tempted to say Rear Window over The Shining, but I haven't seen it in over twenty years. I can't comment on the other match-ups because I've never seen Spartacus in full (though I will eventually) and have only seen Fury Road and Blues Brothers once apiece and ages ago.
  22. Memento vs The Wicker Man Rear Window vs The Shining Monty Python's Life of Brian vs The Dark Knight Spartacus vs Men In Black Mad Max: Fury Road vs The Blues Brothers
  23. Question regarding the DC Universe: Do Green Lanterns get paid? Surely the Guardians of the Universe do not have an all-volunteer army, right? If they do get paid, how are taxes handled? How exactly would the Internal Revenue Service handle income derived from other galaxies? Do the Guardians withhold income taxes? Do they provide W-4 forms? Do they provide the lanterns a W-2 at the end of the tax year, by the January 31 deadline? Are they paid in American dollars or do they have to exchange their currency for dollars? How exactly would interplanetary currency exchange work? Notice I don't mention the taxes of other countries. This is not an oversight. Interestingly enough, all of the Green Lanterns of Earth are American citizens. Hal Jordan, Guy Gardner, John Stewart, Kyle Rayner, Simon Baz, Jessica Cruz and Sojourner Mullein are all from the USA. So no other country on Earth could produce someone worthy of being in the Green Lantern Corps? 'Merica! But seriously... I understand that DC Comics is based in the USA, but when you think about it, that makes no sense. The X-Men had a multinational team in the 1970's, and they are based in Massachusetts. Keeping things in the DCU, the Justice League had Justice League Europe, etc. The Green Lantern Corps are not even in the Milky Way Galaxy, IIRC.
  24. Re-watched Roadhouse over the weekend. Perfectly sufficient B-movie actioner on its own that would've floated just fine if it were a Chuck Norris led movie, but Patrick Swayze makes this special. There's something about him that was far, Far FAR more believable as the stoic, peaceful, charming badass than many of the action icons of the era. And the movie is trying so hard to be obnoxiously masculine and toxic (it definitely achieves that in the eyes of a female friend in the viewing's attendance), but I think Swayze's softer approach and easier presence alters it enough where the bravado of these types of films doesn't land exactly the same as all the others. It's had its markings: Somewhat gratuitous sex and nudity, gratuitous violence, male characters who try to out-alpha the next guy in the room. But it's Patrick Swayze who both legitimizes and alleviates all the testosterone from crowding the film like smog. Plus, he does a straight-up Fatality on a guy before Mortal Kombat. I'm intrigued by the Jake Gyllenhaal remake, but this original movie is lightning in a bottle. There's no reason it should've worked as well as it did, but it did.
  25. This week, Desmond and Duane dig the 2018 film that might be considered a Weird Western: The Wind. Then, Desmond goes solo on the 1928 silent film that inspired that movie: The Wind. Batten down the hatches and drown out the wind with these tunes: "Alone in the Wind" by Andrew WK, "It Must Be the Wind" by The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets, "The Wind and More" by Roky Erickson and the Explosives, and "Walker Upon the Wind" by Satyricon. [ download ]
  26. I'd say Inception because Unbreakable, while good, is a whole helluva lot slower. Inception's pacing is better.
  27. Been absolute shit at watching movies lately. But I am on season 5 of Star Trek: Voyager... The Wind: I watched this on Youtube. It's the 1928 silent film that the modern film was based on (review forthcoming). Looking forward to talking about the compare/contrast of it all. The Burial: a pretty typical "true-story" underdog film. The real sell on this movie is the interplay between Jamie Foxx and Tommy Lee Jones. Fun, but forgettable. Fulci For Fake: going to talk about this on the podcast, but what a weird fucking movie. Do I count this as a documentary? I guess I will. Brainscan: review forthcoming. Features: 18 Shorts: Documentaries: 3 Rewatches:
  1. Load more activity