Photo

Marvel NOW!, beginning in October

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 The Master

The Master
  • I am usually referred to as The Master—universally.

• 21,237 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 07:24 AM

The Future of Comics is Marvel NOW!
Top Comic Book Series ReEvolve With All New #1 Issues Beginning October 2012

New York. NY - July 6, 2012 - The most popular characters. The most acclaimed creators. The most ambitious stories. This is Marvel NOW!.

This Fall, the Marvel Universe heads in an exciting all-new direction, as the industry's top creators join the top Super Heroes -- Iron Man, Thor, Captain America, Hulk, Spider-Man, Wolverine and more -- to deliver all-new ongoing series, each beginning with issue #1! Marvel NOW! is the culmination of Marvel ReEvolution, the groundbreaking new initiative to evolve the comic book experience through innovation.

It kicks off in October's Uncanny Avengers #1, from the superstar dream team of Rick Remender (Uncanny X-Force, Venom) and John Cassaday (Astonishing X-Men, Captain America) and continues with jaw-dropping new Marvel NOW! series nearly every week through February.

"There's never been a better time to check out comics than Marvel NOW!" said Axel Alonso, Editor in Chief, Marvel Entertainment. "This isn't a reboot or a reimagining -- Marvel NOW! is all about looking forward, building on our rich history of great stories and delivering new ideas."

In Uncanny Avengers #1, the Avengers and X-Men must join forces to overcome the greatest challenge either team has ever faced, one so devastating that neither can afford to do it alone! Can Captain America's newly assembled team find a way to peacefully co-exist while also dealing with the game-changing repercussions of Avengers VS X-Men?

Then in November, Marvel NOW! expands to all corners of the universe with launches including All-New X-Men #1 by Brian Michael Bendis (Avengers VS. X-Men, Ultimate Comics Spider-Man) and Stuart Immonen (Avengers VS. X-Men #1 Infinite, Fear Itself); Avengers #1 by Jonathan Hickman (Avengers VS X-Men, Fantastic Four) and Jerome Opena (Uncanny X-Force), on-sale in December; and New Avengers #1, by Hickman and Steve Epting (FF, Captain America), on-sale in January 2013.

"We brought fans the biggest comic book event imaginable in Avengers VS. X-Men and now we're taking the Marvel Universe to an exciting new place, beginning with Uncanny Avengers #1," said Tom Brevoort, SVP, Executive Editor, Marvel Entertainment. "If you're a long-time fan, all the stories you've read will give you even more enjoyment of what's happening now -- we're not abandoning our past. But if you're a new reader, this is where you're going to learn just why Marvel comics are unlike anything else you've ever read. And no character is left unaffected by Marvel NOW!."

Every comic book bearing the Marvel NOW! branding includes a code for a free digital copy of that same comic on the Marvel Comics app for iOS and Android devices. Additionally, each issue #1 of Marvel NOW! series features special augmented reality content available exclusive through the Marvel AR app -- including cover recaps, behind the scenes features and more that add value to your reading experience at no additional cost.

"This is the natural next step of the Marvel ReEvolution, as we evolve every facet of Marvel publishing," explained Joe Quesada, Chief Creative Officer, Marvel Entertainment. "You've seen us craft new digital storytelling formats like Marvel Infinite Comics and bring added value to our comics with Marvel AR. Now our print comics leap into the future with a cinematic new look for our covers, exciting new designs for our biggest characters and stories that will send you on the kind of journey you can only get at Marvel."

This October, "Join The ReEvolution" as Marvel NOW! kicks off with Uncanny Avengers #1, ushering in a new era for comics and the perfect jumping on point for new readers. The biggest creators bring you the biggest characters in the biggest stories...and it's happening NOW!

To commemorate the historic release of Uncanny Avengers #1 on Wednesday, October 10th, participating retailers can host special advance release parties the night before! That's right, you can experience the biggest new series launch of the year on Tuesday, October 9th at select retailers, who'll also have limited edition giveaways exclusive to these events.

For more on Marvel NOW!, please visit www.marvel.com and join the conversation on Twitter with hashtag #MarvelNOW.

Posted Image

sm-cure.jpg

#2 The Master

The Master

• 21,237 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 07:36 AM

Because this is more of a rebranding than a reboot, I don't have a problem with it. In fact, I'm excited by Remender and Cassaday teaming up.

That said, some of those costumes are going to take a long time to grow on me.
sm-cure.jpg

#3 Stavros

Stavros
  • Wolf 359 was an inside job!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,686 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 07:49 AM

Yeah, we were talking about this in the Leisurely Comics thread, the Alex Ross Spidey one is the oddest to me, especially since Spidey already has a dozen alternate costumes at the moment. Thor's is odd too, brown's never as good a look as blue.

Don't mind the new Iron Man scheme, even if it is less iconic than the old. Not sure if it's better than the alt Iron Man they're currently using in his book though.

Posted Image

From an actual facebook conversation-

Bristol is 'Best city to live in the UK' - Telegraph

Oh I agree!

#4 The Master

The Master

• 21,237 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 07:54 AM

Have we seen more image of Spider-Man's costume? I ask because, besides the eyes, it looks the same as always.
sm-cure.jpg

#5 Preston

Preston
  • The Concept of Total Control is Erotic to Me.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,588 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 07:58 AM

I said before, Cyclops looks terrible.

#6 The Master

The Master

• 21,237 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 08:02 AM

Unless he loses an eye during Avengers vs. X-Men, Cyclops' mask makes zero sense.
sm-cure.jpg

#7 Stavros

Stavros

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,686 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 08:05 AM

It's got the pointed ends to the red web portion of the design instead of that part continuing down to the gloves, and the darker area looks black not blue. Looks like the Alex Ross movie design to me.

Posted Image Posted Image

Cycops would need to lose an eye and have the remaining one moved to the centre of his head. I'm wondering about two possibilities- Firstly, maybe the force of his eyebeams finally blew a chunk of his face off Chamber-style, and the new visor takes and focusses that energy. That, or it might be a helmet that again refocuses the energy through red crystals, basically a redesign that's supposed to improve the capacity and accuracy of his beams.

Oh I agree!

#8 The Master

The Master

• 21,237 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 08:23 AM

I see what you mean with Spider-Man. Though, I do want to see a full body shot.
sm-cure.jpg

#9 Koete

Koete
  • Humor - 75%

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,753 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 08:48 AM

Whoops, ignore this post.

Gene-Colan-art-banner.jpg

#10 Donomark

Donomark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 09:35 AM

Spider-Man's design is closer to the Ultimate Spidder-Man cartoon in that it loses the red webbed stripes down the forearm.

I love Tony's new armor because it reminds me of his deep space suit from the 90s. Thor doesn't look half bad either. Cyclops looks wack, and Cap's new costume gears more towards the movie version which bugs me on principal.

Read Batgirl (vol.1)

batgirl025.jpg

#11 Stavros

Stavros

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,686 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 09:46 AM

Oddly aside from Cable's eyepatch (which as I've stated is just confusing what with the whole Nick Fury deal going on) the thing that bugs me most is Nova having a dull steel-coloured helmet and puffy sleeves. Nova's costume for the last few years has been one of the coolest in comics, this redesign is a disaster. For reference, this is the Nova outfit they've been using until recently-

Posted ImagePosted Image

See, that design is cool

I get that whoever is under that helmet isn't Richard Ryder but that's no reason to regress to the 70's and mess up the colour palette.

Oh I agree!

#12 Preston

Preston

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,588 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 10:10 AM

Also, I get that it looks cool, but why does Thor need swords? He's already got one of the most powerful weapons on Earth.

#13 Stavros

Stavros

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,686 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 10:18 AM

He used the Sword of Odin (Omens?) at the end of Fear itself, but I doubt either of those are that blade.

Oh I agree!

#14 Preston

Preston

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,588 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 02:01 PM

The Roster for Uncanny Avengers is out: Cap, Thor, Wolverine, Scarlet Witch, Rogue and Havok.

#15 Stavros

Stavros

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,686 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 02:06 PM

Nice bump for Havok there, and I'm a big fan of throwing Rogue into that mix. She's been the X-men's unofficial biggest gun for years plus she's a good one to throw in to challenge authority. Good mix of power, authority and instability.

Oh I agree!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users