In the first of a 52-part series, Kellen Scrivens and Tom Hemmings review Week 1 of 1997 in the WWF. This episode features the debut of Shotgun Saturday Night from New York's Mirage Nightclub, along with coverage of Superstars and Monday Night Raw. [ 2:38:30 || 76.2 MB ]

To listen, click here: http://www.earth-2.net/podcasts/acureforthecommonpodcast/episodes/cure_01.mp3

Listening to it right now. I never watched wrestling and am finding it entertaining.

I am at the forty minute mark. When someone invites people in NYC to an event thirty minutes before the show ended was probably talking to the people of the Marvel Universe. Traffic there is not a problem since everyone there gets around by skipping across rooftops.

For an internet project that I started about a year ago, and it may still happen, I'm not sure, I wanted to conduct some research on The Mirage but it doesn't appear to "exist." Or at least ones that I got on Google searches were ones in Brooklyn and out in Long Island.

Further research, including a wrong number call to a place way uptown on Manhattan Island in Washington Heights, found that it in fact closed due to shady dealings, fights and the usual crap that closes venues, BUT I did find that the location did reopen as a concert/dance club venue a few years ago called Terminal 5.

The funny thing about all of that legwork and whatnot (it really wasn't all THAT long if I added up the time, I mean this isn't a project I'm being paid for), but it was seemingly fruitless until figuring out the new name of the venue, is that after I finally located Terminal 5, I was talking to a friend who lived in Lower Manhattan for a number of years in the late 1990s through the very early 2000s about the project and The Mirage. Well, I ask her if she had ever been there and she said "Oh yeah, a few times I saw some concerts there."

*FACE PALM* Could have saved a couple of hours and not have gotten so many dead ends if I had just ASKED HER BEFOREHAND!

Ah well...

Another example of "see how long ago this was recorded" with the quip of no minis blood feuds in today's WWE.

Of course not that Tortino and Hornswoogle is on the level of even a long standing mid-card feud, but it was a multi-PPV feud that is still kinda, sort of ongoing on the WWE's YouTube show The JBL & Cole show.

A great quip making the rounds of the wrestling boards that I frequent was watch for Rick Bognar to take the stage either with, or in place of Scott Hall at the HOF inductions the night before WrestleMania when it was announced that the gimmick "Razor Ramon" was to be inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame (presumably "Scott Hall" will be in a group induction of the nWo).

Also, after Bognar and Jaccobs' Diesel disappeared from WWF TV, they did angles with the characters in Memphis to pretty much kill off the stench of the "impostor Razor & Diesel" gimmick.

Which reminds me of a funny "guy trying way too hard to be a smark" story, but remind me when you guys hit October to tell it, since it involves Kane =;)

Just got round to listening to this today - great stuff, gentlemen! I'm really looking forward to the rest of this podcast, because it's a great concept to do a limited series on an interesting period in wrestling. And it's nice to hear that Kellen boy talking about something I have a passing interest in! :smilewinkgrin:

• 4 years later...
On 7/31/2014 at 3:33 PM, SteveJRogers said:

A great quip making the rounds of the wrestling boards that I frequent was watch for Rick Bognar to take the stage either with, or in place of Scott Hall at the HOF inductions the night before WrestleMania when it was announced that the gimmick "Razor Ramon" was to be inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame (presumably "Scott Hall" will be in a group induction of the nWo).

Also, after Bognar and Jaccobs' Diesel disappeared from WWF TV, they did angles with the characters in Memphis to pretty much kill off the stench of the "impostor Razor & Diesel" gimmick.

Which reminds me of a funny "guy trying way too hard to be a smark" story, but remind me when you guys hit October to tell it, since it involves Kane =;)

Good thing I jumped in here, remind me in May when you get to the go-home for Bad Blood =;)

On 7/29/2014 at 11:05 AM, SteveJRogers said:

Another example of "see how long ago this was recorded" with the quip of no minis blood feuds in today's WWE.

Of course not that Tortino and Hornswoogle is on the level of even a long standing mid-card feud, but it was a multi-PPV feud that is still kinda, sort of ongoing on the WWE's YouTube show The JBL & Cole show.

Now its, the show has been going on so long that this show has been going that 3MB's McIntyre and Mahal had been released, done their things outside of the E, and then both have been brought back into the fold a while ago!

• 1 year later...
On 10/14/2018 at 9:08 AM, SteveJRogers said:

Now its, the show has been going on so long that this show has been going that 3MB's McIntyre and Mahal had been released, done their things outside of the E, and then both have been brought back into the fold a while ago!

And now they both have had, with McIntyre in midst of his at this posting, significant runs as WWE Heavyweight Champion!

Though sadly Heath Slater was part of the post Mania/Covid-19 country wide lockdowns cuts.