When Ian was on an actual gameshow....

slothian

At the end of May (Pandy's birthday, as it happens) I completed a 6 month journey of applications, interviews and filling out forms to make it onto an honest-to-God popular UK gameshow called The Chase - of which I believe there's an American spin-off which utilises the most famous of the 4 UK Chasers/quiz experts. Today, I learnt that it would be broadcast on the ITV1 network at 17:00 BST on Thursday 16 October.

I am not technically allowed to say what happened or how I did until it airs (albeit I have told a lot of people behind closed doors - I've just kept it off Facebook). I don't know how those of you who aren't British will be able to watch it. What I can say is that I really enjoyed filming it and I'm somewhat apprehensive of how it gets edited together - I don't *think* I made an arse of myself, but then, that very much depends on the final cut of the show. Anecdotes to come at a later date.

So if you can join me for its broadcast, then, in the words of Alan Partridge, JOIN me!

Forgive me if Im wrong but isn't 1700 BST = 1200 ET/1100 CT?

Nope. BST, or British Summer Time, is five hours ahead of Eastern Time.

I'm super exhausted and my math is very possibly off, but 1200 (12 PM) + 5 hours = 1700 hours (5 PM)? Yes?

Not being snarky, legitimately confused.

Yes, it is. It helps if I had noticed that Ian was using military time instead. I just saw 17 and my brain decided it was a 7. My bad.

No worries. I was running on practically zero sleep for three days and I truly thought I was losing math.

Hmm, turns out the broadcast is when I'm due to attend a legal seminar day by a barristers chambers my department use regularly, held in one of my favourite museums within Newcastle, which is then followed by a booze-a-thon which they pay the tab for. I had envisaged watching the show live whilst keeping an eye on Twitter for general abuse (Hi Pandy!) but now I'm not so sure. Technically, I *could* skip the seminar and then show up for the drinking later.....

Preston: by virtue of there only being 7,396 people in Britain, it is inevitable that all British people will be on a gameshow at some point. I believe Tom's 15 minutes of fame was used up on his legendary appearance on Touch the Truck.

Des: I'm sure Pandy will oblige.

Will: Since when was British Summer Time/BST a military time classification???

Tom: The researcher was really interested in my podcasting history and suggested Bradley Walsh might ask me about it. Turns out he didn't!

Kellen: Episodes usually find their way onto youtube before too long, so if there's some kind of international block on the day, it should surface sooner or later.

Will: Since when was British Summer Time/BST a military time classification???

Maybe this is only an American thing, but here the 24-hour clock is historically referred to as "military time", as it's generally been rare when used outside of that context.

Preston: by virtue of there only being 7,396 people in Britain, it is inevitable that all British people will be on a gameshow at some point. I believe Tom's 15 minutes of fame was used up on his legendary appearance on Touch the Truck.

I was eliminated almost instantly, but I wasn't there to win, I was there to make friends. Never saw any of them again.

I was eliminated almost instantly, but I wasn't there to win, I was there to make friends. Never saw any of them again.

"I'm not here to make friends."

• 2 weeks later...