Episode 42: Highlander - The Source

RSS

Just when you thought movie sequels couldn't possibly get any worse than Highlander II: The Quickening, here comes a film that not only completely negates the entire Highlander mythos, but also royally besmirches Freddie Mercury while it's at it. Yes, it's Highlander: The Source, which truly shows that there isn't more to life than this. [ 2:40:29 || 81.3 MB ]

To listen, click here: http://www.earth-2.net/podcasts/tranquiltirades/episodes/tranquiltirades_042.mp3

Even though I've only seen the first movie, and clips of the show, I've always had a strange desire to consume the entire Highlander franchise. Fifty minutes into this episode, and that desire is stronger. What a messed up series!

Even though I've only seen the first movie, and clips of the show, I've always had a strange desire to consume the entire Highlander franchise. Fifty minutes into this episode, and that desire is stronger. What a messed up series!

As far as this one goes, we briefly touched on it early in the episode, but the entire movie is infinitely more amusing if you imagine a gigantic loud-ass bird SQUAWKING every time the Guardian is on screen.

I really liked the Highlander series because it tried to expand on the ideas in the first film and attempted to make sense of the conflicting continuity of the films. If anything I think they made a mistake in acknowledging the existence of Connor. It just made a rod for their own backs by claiming the show existed in the same universe as the films.

Having said that I have never had the desire to give the later films a go and I now know I'm not missing out.

• 2 weeks later...

I completely agree with Damiens feelings that the Highlander should not be visited for at least another decade.

It's been messed up to the point that a reboot would be the best way to proceed. And I say that as someone who does not like reboots at all.

But that should not happen until the stink of the current franchise has faded.

It's a really cool concept (and I was a fan of the TV show back in the day) but the execution has been terrible.

• 4 weeks later...

I completely agree with Damiens feelings that the Highlander should not be visited for at least another decade.

It's been messed up to the point that a reboot would be the best way to proceed. And I say that as someone who does not like reboots at all.

But that should not happen until the stink of the current franchise has faded.

It's a really cool concept (and I was a fan of the TV show back in the day) but the execution has been terrible.

Actually I was thinking more about current events in the world. I used to think that humans have moved to the point where beheading was seen as barbaric as sword duels. Fun fact Abraham Lincoln was challenged to a saber duel to the death on a place called bloody island, but the duel was stopped by a mutual friend. However, terrorist organizations like ISIL has shown that beheading is still around.

on a lighter note....

The part about DZ made me nostalgic for that place. It seems like any indoor fun place has been bought out by Chuck E. Cheese and Nolan Bushnell. Discovery Zone, Showbiz Pizza, The Rock-afire explosion gang,

I wonder if Bushnell has tried to buy Freddy Fazbears Pizza and Hoo Ha's Jamboree.

However, terrorist organizations like ISIL has shown that beheading is still around.

True, but it never really left. Humanity is just as barbaric as it ever was. It's harder than ever to make something truly shocking, because of the 24/7 news cycle and the Internet.

Which is why the people making movies, TV shows etc. need to focus on writing a good story. Shock value doesn't cut it any more.