Suggestions of shows we could cover.

This thread is for people to suggest shows we could cover on Twice as Bright, Half as Long. We cover anything that ran for 2 seasons or less. we have an initial line up planned out which you can see in another thread but we are open to suggestions for the future.

currently on our list of shows we are definitely going to cover at some point are...

The Prisoner (both versions)

Wonderfalls

Pushing Daisies

Dead Like Me

Dark Season

Crime Traveller

The Vanishing Man

Twin Peaks

Carvivale

There are probably more than that on Ian's spreadsheet as well.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm really looking forward to Crime Traveller, the world's most cut-rate Doctor Who replacement.

Just few various suggestion of changeable quality-

Joey (the most obvious example of a troubled spinoff)

Lucky Louie (the preamble to the arthouse genius of the current Louie.

Birds of Prey (especially interesting for Ian)

Clerks (Damn this is a good animated show)

Sports Night (Aaron Sorkin's first tv show that's a real victim of the network)

Ian and I have discussed whether or not we are going to cover any comedy. So far we are reluctant to do so because comedy is a very subjective thing and only really has a binary answer. With dramas you can discuss themes and plotlines. When it comes to comedy it comes down to "was it funny? Yes/no" which we felt would make for a short discussion.

Thinking about it perhaps we could devote one episode to something like Police Squad and discuss the season as a whole rather than individual episodes.

I think when it comes to a troubled show like Joey I think there's plenty to discuss. Even if you're not into researching how they kept retooling the show you can speculate wildly on the success or lack thereof of certain aspects. Agreed that there's not much point covering widely liked stuff though, better to dig out stuff to expose people too in terms of comedy.

I think when it comes to a troubled show like Joey I think there's plenty to discuss. Even if you're not into researching how they kept retooling the show you can speculate wildly on the success or lack thereof of certain aspects. Agreed that there's not much point covering widely liked stuff though, better to dig out stuff to expose people too in terms of comedy.

That could be really interesting. My main reason for watching that show (other than my remaining affection for Friends) was the appeal of Andrea Anders. I distinctly remember watching and saying to myself, "I can't wait until this show gets axed and she can be on something not terrible." I.e., Better Off Ted.

A suggestion: I know you're doing a two season maximum. Can I throwing out a limit on number of episodes as well? Most American dramas tend to run around 22 episodes in a season with some programs in the half hour schedule doing 26.

That all said, here are some suggestions. A few have one of those infuriating "That's how you ended it?" endings. Not saying which.

Freaks and Geeks

Undeclared (Yes, it might fall under the comedy rule but it does have many moments for discussion.)

Stargate Universe

Reaper

Young Justice

The Sarah Connor Chronicles

Invasion

Surface

Police Squad!

The Tick

The Flash

A suggestion: I know you're doing a two season maximum. Can I throwing out a limit on number of episodes as well? Most American dramas tend to run around 22 episodes in a season with some programs in the half hour schedule doing 26.

That all said, here are some suggestions. A few have one of those infuriating "That's how you ended it?" endings. Not saying which.

Freaks and Geeks

Undeclared (Yes, it might fall under the comedy rule but it does have many moments for discussion.)

Stargate Universe

Reaper

Young Justice

The Sarah Connor Chronicles

I've bolded every suggestion that's already on the spreadsheet for consideration, everything else I've added. All of Tom's list included.

EDIT: Actually, Birds of Prey was on there already.

I actually watched through Birds of Prey recently. The pilot was horrible, but the rest of the show was... surprisingly not awful. Cheesy and silly, but not awful. I'm kind of a fan.

The only drawback to watching it now is that the DVD version they released replaces the original opening title song with a horrendously bad song that doesn't even sound similar.

Finding a version with subtitles may take a while, but perhaps you could look at Lar's von Trier's Riget (The Kingdom). It ran for two seasons (eight episodes total) and didn't get a third in part because two of the main cast members died.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WVP0MXIIdU

Finding a version with subtitles may take a while, but perhaps you could look at Lar's von Trier's Riget (The Kingdom). It ran for two seasons (eight episodes total) and didn't get a third in part because two of the main cast members died.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WVP0MXIIdU

Its been a few days and the opening still makes me think of Garth Marenghi's Darkplace. Although I would like to see how Udo Kier would act alongside Richard Ayoade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPqRpar4PyE

I don't think very much of Darkplace to be frank. I saw what it was trying to do, but the frequent cut aways to the cast took away from the enjoyment of the episode proper (and Victoria Wood spoofed shonky TV much better with Acorn Antiques some 15 years previous). That and I found the Marenghi character very tiresome.

Most people I know who've seen it love it and that's fine. I just think of it as a nice idea executed sloppily.