Episode 20: Jamie Lee Curtis

RSS

Twenty episodes into the podcast's lifespan, but there's no slowing up Hey, An Actor! as it tackles three entries in the filmography of Jamie Lee Curtis! From the high-octane action-nonsense of True Lies, to the body-swap shenanigans of the 2003 remake of Freaky Friday, and the blood-pumping thrills of 1978 horror classic Halloween, The Brothers Wilson examine the talents of a second-generation Hollywood star. Along the way, the episode laments the tragedy of child actors, James Cameron's terrible sense of humor, and what makes for an influential horror film. And get ready for Pandy's most scathing review yet, and it's not for the faint of heart. Or Desmond Reddick. Or Kelly Osbourne. [ 2:45:30 || 79.8 MB ]

To listen, click here: http://www.earth-2.net/podcasts/heyanactor/episodes/heyanactor_020.mp3

I have to say for clarity I got my crush on Eliza Dushku what she was 18/19 and I was about 16, but if it had started in 95 from True Lies I would have been 12 and it would have also been perfectly fine.

I don't want untoward rumours floating around.

Ah I still remember meeting her at C2e2... (insert stolen Heather Graham theme)....

Oh Pandy, you hated Halloween? This is the first time I've truly felt you are really part of a younger generation in terms of film watchers. I recall a conversation with a younger housemate about the film Drive and he complained that nothing happened, and I was so blatantly outraged by his lack of patience I resorted to loudly protesting "it's the music between the notes!", a cliche I was embarressed to wheel out but it really is true. Great films aren't about what happens, they're about how and why and crucially the atmosphere built up around those events. You have to allow yourself to be subsumed into the reality of that american suburb to understand the threat and why it struck home with so many. Halloween is a brilliantly paced horror film that most subsequent imitators co-opted for theme rather than it's greatest strength, timing. You might as well go watch Jaws and complain about how little the Shark shows up. If this was ten years ago I'd ask you to hand in your blockbuster card and come back when you're responsible enough to be trusted with it.

I completely understand your point of view but I take issue with your thinking that I don't appreciate build up, atmosphere, the "how and why" and emersion to a scenario.

In Halloween I cared nothing for JLC's character and was given no real reason to do so, apart from maybe that she was better than her shit bag friends. I hated the child characters who were meant to draw out the fear of this character. Myers standing around and then not standing around got really old really quickly and all atmosphere creation of him stalking people fell flat. As to 'why' the killings took place, the clown costume murdering at the beginning was clumsy and awkward and the 'back story' was melodramatic (I don't buy the 'he's scary because we don't know why he kills' excuse). 'How' they were murdered: hammy - there was nothing scary about them and having waited SO long for them happen they didn't supply adequate payoff.

To bring an example from the Flickchart thread the reason I am a fan of 28 Days Later (granted I neglected to mention it as an example of a horror film I liked - if indeed it qualifies as horror) is how you care about Jim adjusting to what has happened without you seeing the transformation between normal life and the new zombie overlords. You also see empty Britain and how beauty still remains after the mass deaths. In short there is a reason to care, there is a legitimately scary foe, it builds up why loved ones being killed/becoming infected is so tragic and it's execution is well paced throughout.

I can completely understand why people love this film and maybe it was spoiled to me by other films and that fact that I knew JLC wasn't going to die but for me its slow pace left me very dissatisfied and bored. You called it for me when you described Halloween as the 'template' - it set ground roles and a formula for slasher films to follow but templates are then improved upon. Disregard its status and in my opinion it doesn't stand up.

Sorry, didn't mean to imply you don't appreciate those things in a wider film watching sense I was just stating that those are the parts that for me make this film work, and they were specifically the parts to which you were immune. To each their own, but I fear you are most likely in the minority on this one. I'd be curious to see how many other classic horror films you would feel the same about.

I recall a conversation with a younger housemate about the film Drive and he complained that nothing happened, and I was so blatantly outraged by his lack of patience I resorted to loudly protesting "it's the music between the notes!", a cliche I was embarressed to wheel out but it really is true.

In fairness, a good 40% of Drive is taken up by Ryan Gosling smirking.

• 2 weeks later...

I have to say for clarity I got my crush on Eliza Dushku what she was 18/19 and I was about 16, but if it had started in 95 from True Lies I would have been 12 and it would have also been perfectly fine.

I don't want untoward rumours floating around.

Ah I still remember meeting her at C2e2... (insert stolen Heather Graham theme)....

I remember True Lies starting celebrity crushes in my 10 year old heart as well, for both mother and daughter.

It's also one of the few movies where I always do the sympathy "oooof" where you wince and suck in your breath. Bitch-slapping with wedding ring gets me every time.

Now to rewatch drive