Episode 369

RSS

Join Dread Media this week. Seriously, join us. We're all about the cult this week. First, Dreadite favorite Ti West's latest film, Sacrament, takes the found-footage genre and applies it to a loosely veiled Jonestown story. Then, Devil Dinosaur Jr. looks at Kevin Smith's Branch Davidian / Westboro Baptist church mash-up Red State. Finally, black metal's rabid fans have accepted quite a lot of variation to their genre, but will they think the eponymous debut EP from the mysterious Danish one-woman black metal act Myrkur is "trve kvlt"? We'll have to see! Of course, there's tunes: "Sacrament" by HIM, "Back to Eden" by Black Sabbath, "High as Fuck" by Jon Lajoie, and "Nattens Barn" and "Må Du Brænde i Helvede" by Myrkur. [ 1:34:22 || 45.5 MB ]

To listen, click here: http://www.earth-2.net/podcasts/dreadmedia/episodes/dreadmedia_369.mp3

• 1 month later...

I've spent the past couple days watching four of Ti West's films and I gotta say, I don't get the hype. The Roost is an amateurish first feature, but hey, it's his first movie, not going to hold that against him. Between West striking gold with Jocelin Donahue's acting talent, the slowly mounting dread of inescapability, Tom Noonan, and that last shot, The House of the Devil really is pretty great. While I was just getting dinner, I realized what bothers me about The Innkeepers: it's a 45 minute anthology TV show episode stretched out to 100 minutes. I don't dislike it, but it's way too long for such a rote story. His short in V/H/S is my second least favorite, but it does have one of most frightening parts of the whole movie. As for The Sacrament, it is well acted, but it doesn't do anything new with the religious cult setup. It's found footage sure, but when there's an actual tragedy that it's based on, the documentary aspects just make me wince. I certainly don't think West is a bad filmmaker, but I can't get behind him as a major figure in modern horror.