DuckTales

dc20willsave

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I've watched the pilot once or twice (Disney XD put it up for free on their YouTube and Amazon also has it for free right now) and I really enjoy it. I was worried that it wouldn't feel enough like DuckTales but fuck, no, this really feels like the show that I loved as a kid. Is is the same show? No. The fact that Donald is a regualr character, that there is an effort to distinguish Huey, Dewey, and Louie, that Webby is not The Load/cute little girl? So appreciated.

I also like the little easter eggs. In the pilot episode, we have references to Spoonerville (Goof Troop), St. Canard (Darkwing Duck), and Cape Suzette (Tail Spin). It's the kind of thing that makes me wonder if Disney is playing the long game and planning updates of the other Disney Afternoon shows. I know Darkwing Duck is supposed to show up Season 1 so who knows?

I was surprised how much I really enjoyed this. I watched Ducktales as a kid like most of us, but I don't remember much of it. But the voice acting, writing and animation all made this one solid. David Tennant, on top of everything, is a terrific voice actor. I went through the whole pilot constantly knowing it was him, but that was mainly due to finishing Broadchurch where he used his natural Scottish accent. Now and then I'd put that out of my mind and enjoy the character. I love Kate Micucci as well, and she's great as Webby.

• 5 weeks later...

I finally caught this and enjoyed the hell out of it. I was a little too old to be all that into the original (it was my younger brothers' jam), but I do remember thinking it was good. This was funnier, with a much goofier sensibility, and the voice cast is phenomenal. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...