The Dubs Thread of Random Goodness Thread

I was going to turn this into an article at one point, just sort of talking about the weird stuff that I've found online and have an interest in. Figured I'll just put it all here and hope someone finds it interesting.

saturnvanilla.jpg

It's a special yellow edition Saturn! This is why it's not a good idea to smoke around consoles.

20225.jpg

This is a screen from a game called Alice: An Interactive Museum. It was released for Windows 3.1 and is one of my holy grails of collecting, since it's both a rare video game AND a rare piece of Alice merchandise. It's pretty much impossible to find, and on the rare occasion it shows up on eBay, it usually goes for about $500.

Do you know Ico was originally a PSone game? And it looked awesome. Notice how different Yorda looked back then. I don't think anyone's ever dumped the prototype, but I'd love to play it one day.

52779.jpg

FUCKING HELLRAISER for the NES almost happened too. Given the history of horror games on the system, it probably would have sucked, but damn, I wanted to see it.

console_gold_front1.jpg

This is a Gold Dreamcast. It was the final production model on the system. As you'd expect, it's rare as all hell.

img_1915.jpg?w=640&h=480

Actually found this on twitter via Des. It's a steampunk case mod for a PS3.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Indeed!

DoctorV64_thumb.jpg

This is a Doctor V64, an interesting little device that serves as a development console, a memory unit and a LASERDISC player~! Turok was actually made on this thing. Yeah, they ain't cheap. Also pictured, a swank white N64.

HMidnightConsole.jpg

This is a 10million model Playstation. As you can tell from the name, they were made to celebrate the system hitting 10 million units. They were given out as contest prizes and less than 100 were made.

IMG_0480.jpg

Rule of gaming. If a console exists, someone's made a portable version of it.

Ps2_linux_dvd.jpg

They made a Linux kit for the PS2. I don't know why anyone thought this was a good idea.

Yes and no.

They've said repeatedly that they don't consider the handheld market to be viable, but at the same time, they're considering the Windows 7 phone to be their equivalent.

Today let's look at a subject very near and dear to my heart: Chrono Trigger.

As you may know, I kinda sorta fucking love this game.

I think everyone that cares to know is aware of the Chrono Break story. Everyone thought they were going to do a sequel, nothing came of it. Us Chrono fans are a passionate bunch, however, and often took things in our own hands.

Perhaps the most famous fan creation was Chrono Resurrection, which was to be a complete 3D remake of the game. If finished, it looked to be in heavy contention for greatest human accomplishment since breathing. Sadly, Square killed it with a cease & desist order. There was a private demo out there and I'd kill to get my hands on it.

Chrono%20Trigger%20Prophets%20Guile-1.png

Chrono Trigger: Prophet's Guile is a rom hack of the original game, presenting the story from the perspective of Magus. It's amazingly accurate and fills out the story just about perfectly.

Many Trigger fans were mixed on the sequel, Chrono Cross, which was only loosely related and complicated the story quite a bit. Given the huge time gap, fans took it upon themselves to make an interquel, called Crimson Echoes. It features 35 hours of game play, 10 multiple endings, and 23 chapters. The guys that made it really know their stuff and outside of some bugs and wonky dialogue, it's pretty consistent throughout. It got to 98% complete before Square killed it with a cease & desist order.

FoE2011-02-07_0210054339.png

THEN there was Flames of Eternity, which resulted from a different group taking the build of Crimson Echoes and changing all the bugs and other stuff they didn't like. They are, for all intents and purposes, the same basic game with just a different set of directors. They haven't gotten their cease & desist yet. Give it some time.

My big thing lately has been game demakes. These are modern games remade for earlier technology. All of these are actually playable in some form.

Mega Man on the Atari 2600!

gang_garrison_2.jpg

Gang Garrison 2, which is a demake of Team Fortress 2. This is actually really popular and has online multiplayer.

tigsource_screen1.jpg

Hold Me Closer, Giant Dancer, which is a surprisingly faithful demake of Shadow of the Colossus.

atari2600portal.png

Portal's been demade about 6 or 7 times at this point, but someone actually got it working on a 2600.

soundless-mountain-ii-450x335.png

My personal favourite, Soundless Mountain 2!

Some more interesting demakes.

gw-1285882087.jpg

Greek & Wicked, which is God of War in the style of an old Tiger LCD game.

sexyb.jpg

Sexy Seaside Beach Volleyball, which is what Dead or Alive Xtreme Beach Volleyball would look like on the ZX Spectrum.

cornersshiny1.png

Corner's Shiny, or the NES version of Mirror's Edge.

D-Pad-Hero-in-game.jpg

D-Pad Hero, another fav of mine.

Who wants to play some freaking crazy rom hacks?

Somari.PNG

Somari, which is a Mario hacked into Sonic then hacked into an NES game.

kartfighterscreenkino.png

Good old fashioned Kart Fighter, just as you remember it.

8897.jpg

Riddler's Escape from Arkham, which is a hack of Mega Man 3. He shoots question marks instead of bullets.

quaker-oats-hq.gif

Forget River City Ransom. All the cool kids are playing Wilford Brimley Battle.

gametitle.gif

Zelda 2 hacked to become Evil Dead. The drop in quality isn't as big as you'd think.

There are a million more, but these are the most work safe of the lot.

That was "Pussy City Pimps", another high-brow adaptation.

Honestly a vast majority of NES hacks involve making all of the sprites naked and/or have been made by someone with the IQ/maturity level of your average Youtube commenter.

Let's look at some rare games, or as I like to call them, "birthday ideas".

pac.gif

Metal Gear Solid 3 Subsistence Limited Edition. You could only get this through pre-order. It includes Existence, which is all of the cut-scenes edited into a four hour feature film.

Worth - $400

bgqjqs.jpg

This is the Elemental Gearbolt Assassin's Case. It was given out as a tournament prize at E3 98 and only 40 were made. Half of those are in the possession of former employees that worked on the game.

Worth - about $1700.

$(KGrHqN,!k0E1F1skRW,BNd!GJUF0g~~_35.JPG

This is Gamma Attack, the only 2600 game released by Gammation. There is only ONE known copy IN THE WORLD.

Worth - $10,000.

250px-Kizuna_Encounter_(cover).jpg

Kizuna Encounter for the Neo Geo. This one is strange because most copies of this are quite common. The European version however, is insanely rare, to the point that no one is entirely sure how many copies were actually made.

Worth - $13,500 (Well, it is a Neo Geo game.)