Episode 140

RSS

In this episode, which clocks in at just under five hours, Dan and Mike complete their journey through Doctor Who! As they bring Bigger on the Inside to a close (for now), they discuss the romp that is "The Five(ish) Doctors Reboot," the shock-inducing "The Night of The Doctor," the they-don't-know-what "The Last Day," Doctor Who's 50th anniversary special "The Day of The Doctor," and Matt Smith's swan song "The Time of The Doctor." The guys answer a ton of feedback, look upon Smith's time in the role, run through a few lists, compare the classic era to the modern, reminisce about Bigger on the Inside as a whole, and more. Thank you, all of you, for your support through the years! [ 4:53:50 || 141.3 MB ]

To listen, click here: http://www.earth-2.net/podcasts/biggerontheinside/episodes/bigger_140.mp3

Disagree on two things with you guys. First is Osgood. I love her because she's the fangirl represented in the show. It's been mentioned on the podcast that the fangirls are a huge part of the new show's success, and paying tribute to them in the form of a character was really cool. As for the line "The Doctor will save me" I didn't have a problem with that because it was a very human moment of weakness, and just after that she gets over her fear and causes the Zygon to fall over.
Also, the point about Smith being like Colin Baker and McCoy. As far as iconic episodes, 11 had Eleventh Hour, Vincent and the Doctor, the Big Bang two-parter, and the Doctor's Wife. Is that really any less than what 9 and 10 had?
But yeah great episode guys! Love that the tangent about Winter Soldier was called back to during the review segment. Very Day of the Doctor as far as something innocuous turning into an important plot point. ;)

Fine stuff gentlemen, and not just as an accompaniment to the 8 hour traffic jam journey from hell. Whilst I've not been the most active emailer with regards to this show I have been a consistent listener for it's run, and regard it as a model for this sites commitment to forensic geekdom. In fact, I have such profound respect for your achievements that I will discard all my natural instincts and not make light of the heartfelt emotional comments at the end of the episode. Hats off.

Great episode, I will miss this show a lot. but looking forward to your star trek show.

What about the 2 episodes of Sara Jane that the doctor is in. "the wedding of Sara Jane" and the "death of the doctor". I know they are not doctor who, but they both feature the doctor a lot. Perhaps you could do them as a 1 off special

Many thanks to the both of you for one of the finest podcast productions ever made. As per Mike's instructions, I'll use this space as though it were an e-mail. As I wrote in before, I first discovered this podcast when you guys covered "Logopolis" and had been a new fan of DW around 2010. I enjoyed the large history the show had and really loved David Tennant, but had been tiptoeing around the notion of getting into the original series. Your podcast guided me to some really great stories like "The Mind Robber" and "Pyramids of Mars". But aside from the subject matter of the show itself, BOTI became my new favorite podcast to listen to, succeeding For Your Ears Only. Maybe I came in during a potboiler of interesting discussion topics in the JNT era, but I fell in love with the backstory of the Davison, Baker and McCoy eras. Episode 77 is my favorite because of Dan's unapologetic gushing of "Caves of Androzani". There is an internet rule out there that most fun reviews tend to be bad, but this was so positive that it was a joy to hear someone so happy about the thing they were talking about, and have different ways to express his affection for it. It was an example of the podcast's brilliant style of discussion that frankly all podcasts should aspire to be. You guys were witty, intelligent, reasonable, well informed, and had a good sense of balance in being a fan and being a reviewer that made certain discussions all the more engaging, like when you covered "Rose". I love and will miss this podcast, and I'm definitely down for Edge of Forever.

Thanks so much for giving us the best Doctor Who podcast around!!! Listening to BOTI has enhanced my enjoyment of both classic and new Who, and I'll never be able to watch The Horns of Nimon without hearing Dan's "Lord Nimonnnnn" call or see the Master without remembering some of Mike's,uhhhhh, creative theories :) Can't wait to hear what you guys have to say about Star Trek!

Just finished this epic last episode (for now). Agree with everything you had to say about the 50th ep and it's mini episodes. The Christmas special on the other hand, I had a hard time with. The concept of it is good. It just didn't sit right with me how many villians were used for the sake of it. I mean what were the weeping Angels doing there at all? What was there reason for being there? Loved the quick snap of a regeneration though.

Having said that I still have only seen this episode once. So who knows what little details I missed.

I did at one point had a crazy thought while watching it. As smith's Doctor got older and started to look a little like Hartnell, for one brief moment I thought they were going top do a snake eating its own tail time travel thing. Having the Time Lords come back through the crack save Smith take him back to Galifrey. Only for him to run off with a Tardis like Hartnell did. Since it was his last regeneration Calpaldi ending up being a new Doctor in the vain of Bucky taking over as Captain America or Ben Reilly replacing Peter Parker. Not actually the Doctor, as his regenerations are used up but a new Doctor. As the universe must have one looking out for it.

Thanks to the both of you for all your great episodes. Looking forward to the Star Trek pod but counting the days until BOTI returns.

Just realized something, granted it was early in Bigger on the Inside's run, but a conversation was had over what the 50th should be, and I think Mike had the idea that it should center around The Doctor believing that his current body was his last (whether it was still Smith at the time or not) and then being surprised that he had regenerated.

Not QUITE how it ended up, but hey, it was an idea that Mike had that came to pass! =;)

Mike:

Let me give you a history of how I became a huge fan of Doctor Who.

It started with the fact that I became a fan because I was a huge fan of the Star Wars and Star Trek movies.

I met a guy who was in the Scouts with me and he told me that if I liked Star Wars, Star Trek, and comic books that I would like Doctor Who.

I had to watch it on PBS. I did not mind it because they would play episodes back to back on weekday afternoons from six to seven. From 1979 to about 1992, I got to see the vast majority of the classic era.

Thanks to Doctor Who I was introduced to a lot the British comedies of the time like Are You Being Served, Blake's Seven, The Vicar of Dibley. and Fawlty Towers.