Christian's paleontology articles on HubPages

You Know Who

I occasionally contribute paleontology-related articles to HubPages. Most (though not all) of all these are about dinosaurs, since I know more about them than any other living or extinct group of organisms. My goal with these is to present dinosaurs and other aspects of paleontology in a manner that is interesting and accessible to laypeople (especially adult readers), but doesn't oversimplify or dumb things down. Any guideline I do my best to follow is to write articles that have no equivalent on Wikipedia (e.g. one all about T. rex or the woolly mammoth).

All my articles (or Hubs) can be found at http://chrshonore.hubpages.com/. Feedback and even suggestions for future articles would be most welcome.

I would like to see a "Top 5 myths of palentology." I do not mean things like young earth Creationism or anything that could cause a flame war. I mean things like "the direct descendant of the T-Rex is the chicken. When in reality that claim is as valid as "man came from monkeys". In both cases the more valid case is they shared a common ancestor.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Dinosaurs of the Year: 2015 Edition

In 2013 and 2014, I wrote an article about the new dinosaurs described (i.e. named and written about scientific literature for the first time) those years. Didn't have time do one for 2015, but the link above is a recap of that year.

The 2016 edition will be published after Christmas but before New Year's.

Edited by You Know Who

Could you identify this dinosaur for me? This is from Volume 17 chapter 6 of Oh My Goddess! By Kosuke Fujishima. I thought it was a mosasaur but it is way too small.

14748315959861276635517.jpg

That's definitely a mosasaur. Not sure the artist was aiming for a particular kind, but it's around the size of Halisaurus or Clidastes (both of which were around 10 feet long).

Edited by You Know Who

• 4 weeks later...

In 2013 and 2014, I wrote an article about the new dinosaurs described (i.e. named and written about scientific literature for the first time) those years. Didn't have time do one for 2015, but the link above is a recap of that year.

The 2016 edition will be published after Christmas but before New Year's.

And here it is.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

My latest article. It's an interview with Peter Dodson, a paleontologist and expert in horned dinosaurs in particular.

Might change the first half of the title later. The best alternative I could think of was "Horns and Halos", but that doesn't work because he doesn't mention angels and only two questions are about religion.

Edited by You Know Who

• 7 months later...
11 minutes ago, Rjoyadet said:

I always look forward to your posts. Could you please list some books, websites that could be good reference to artists who would like to draw dinosaurs?

Thank you!

Bookwise, definitely seek out Dinosaur Art volumes 1 and 2 from Titan Books, and if you like his work, definitely search for The Paleoart of Julius Csotonyi. Your miles may vary, but definitely look at the websites of artists Raúl Martin, Alain Beneteau, Davide Bonadonna, Bob Walters, and Roman Garcia-Mora. There are lots of others I could name, including artists who specialize in drawing other prehistoric animals like pterosaurs and saber-toothed cats.

If you live near Philadelphia, Dr Jason Poole sometimes teaches one-off or seasonal drawing classes devoted to dinosaurs which are definitely worth your time. Check out his adult coloring book too.

3 minutes ago, You Know Who said:

If you live near Philadelphia, Dr Jason Poole sometimes teaches one-off or seasonal drawing classes devoted to dinosaurs which are definitely worth your time. Check out his adult coloring book too.

I do not but that sounds amazing. If I ever go to Philadelphia I would have to try to set up a time to talk with him. That and visit the Mutter Museum.

Do you have a website with your artwork? I’m finishing up a book I’ve been working on for two years and am going to need to look for an illustrator soon (originally I was gonna do it myself but it’s a big project and I don’t want to get burned out on it when I’ve gotten this far).

I do not think I can express in words how flattered I am so let me try to put in in gifs.

giphy.gif  giphy.gif 

But the truth is I haven't drawn dinosaurs in a while. I am currently drawing backgrounds for my friends superhero story. How about this? you give me an assignment I will work on it during the week. At the end of the week you can decide whether or not you like it without worries of payment, commissions or credits, or even hurting my feelings if you say "no."