Dread Reel-ief Episode 14

RSS

What causes one host in this review of Constantine to tell the other to fuck off? What causes that same host to say it a second time? Hint: They both have to do with actors in the film, and neither of them are Keanu Reeves. If you're the kind of person who listens to movie reviews to just get a short synopsis of a film, skip to a little bit past minute 13. [ 30:30 || 14.8 MB ]

To listen, click here: http://www.earth-2.net/podcasts/dreadmedia/episodes/dreadmediapresents_041.mp3

I agree with just about everything you guys said about this flick. It's not perfect at all, but Tilda Swanton and Peter Stormare more than make up for LaBeef. The CGI is actually really good, the world feels deep and the whole movie just really works. Keanu isn't the comic Constantine, but that's just fine He fits the role as it's written and it's not written poorly.

I honestly remember going to see this with four buddies in High School, and we all really liked it, possibly due to the awesome use of A Perfect Circle.

A buddy of mine is/was a HUGE Hellblazer fan (the New 52 is what finally lost him) and when this movie came out you would think it was worse than cancer. I personally liked it, but I came to it as someone familiar with the character but not a huge fanboy for him. And based on that, it's a perfectly serviceable urban fantasy flick. Keanu was adequate, but Swinton and Stormare were terrific, as Preston says, and I didn't even mind LaBoeuf so much (back in the days before everyone was sick of him).

Genuinely hilarious when Des was trying to find a film Ian had actually watched.Good stuff guys, as I've mentioned in my own shows with Ian Constantine gets more right with the tone than it gets wrong in the details. For films close in terms of style I tend to think of the Nightwatch/Daywatch duology, it's a very similar visual/thematic deal.

I quite like Constantine. If anything I think it would be thought of better by many had they not called the main character Constantine and just made it as an original urban fantasy film. It the baggage from Hellblazer that turned many people against it when it's a perfectly serviceable film.

As someone who has recorded many shows with Ian I now adopt a policy of assuming he hasn't seen anything unless he states otherwise.