Multiversity

Koete

The new Wizard (in shops Wednesday) has an interview with Grant Morrison and he reveals that his Multiverse project is called Multiversity

It is a seven issue series (more like seven one-shots, since all the issues will be #1) that will showcase the major superhero group of 7 Earths. Each issue will focus on 1 group and also have a series "bible", that provides the back story to that particular Earth. The issues will tie together to tell a single story "that reimagines the relationship between the DCU and the Multiverse"

He talked about the Charlton Universe specifically saying that he is writing it as if Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons had pitched Watchmen today, using the contemporary political climate but with the actual Charlton characters.

He also hinted at a "Marvel Family" from Earth 5 issue intended as an all-ages book.

He said that he wants this to be his best story ever so he is going to take all the time he needs to write the seven issues.

http://www.comicbloc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70617

Yeah, this made my day. I want to see a combo of the established earths and then some of the ones we've glimpsed. Wikipedia has a list of all the Earths DC has revealed so far here. Of the ones on the list, and ingnoring the oens that have been heavily exposed so far, I'd like to see Earth 4 (Charlton which was a given), Earth 5 (Fawcett), Earth-12 (Batman Beyond), Earth-20 (Pulp novel world), and the Universe with Super-Demon, the Superman/Etrigan amalgamation shown in the sketches of the Final Crisis Secret Files. While it's fun to see Morrison work with what has been established, I also love to see him have total freedom.

Comic Book Resources has an interview with Grant Morrison about Multiversity.

I am kinda even more psyched. Morrison confirmed Earth 10 (Freedom Fighters vs Nazi-JLA), Earth 20 (Pulp Fiction Earth), and an unnumbered Earth featuring some of the characters introduced in the nineties. Connor Hawke was put as an example. There's also an Earth-Prime story planned.

Each of the Earths has comic books on them with characters from the other Earths. And those come in handy when you have to cooperate and attack against the bad guys of the other Earths. There’s actually a comic book in it that’s haunted and it kills everyone who comes into contact with it, so we actually publish that comic. That’s “Ultraa the Unknown,” the sixth issue.

Dear Grant Morrison,

Never stop being awesome.

Sincerely,

Chris Johnson

Each of the Earths has comic books on them with characters from the other Earths. And those come in handy when you have to cooperate and attack against the bad guys of the other Earths. There’s actually a comic book in it that’s haunted and it kills everyone who comes into contact with it, so we actually publish that comic. That’s “Ultraa the Unknown,” the sixth issue.

Dear Grant Morrison,

Never stop being awesome.

Sincerely,

The undersigned:

Chris Johnson

Desmond Reddick

Fixed it.

• 1 year later...

Bleeding Cool has some Multiversity updates from CCI:

Grant Morrison also states that only Cameron Stewart and Frank Quitely have been decided as artists on his Multiversity project – Stewart on Captain Marvel and Quitely on the Watchmenesque Charlton characters of Earth 4.

One of the ten books of Multiversity by Grant Morrison and friends, will be his take on Captain Marvel with frequent collaborator Cameron Stewart. Calling it Thunderworld, because Grant is bored by always having to use Shazam in the title, look for it next year…

Quitely on the Charlton book is going to be amazing.

• 1 month later...
Grant Morrison and Frank Quitely’s book as part of the ten issue Multiversity series next year, will be entitled Pax Americana, as the Charlton/Watchmenesque characters we saw in Final Crisis get their own book. Morrison told UK newstand magazine Comic Heroes that:

We thought it would be appropriate to re-think and update the kind of in-your-face self-relecting narrative techniques used by Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons and to apply them to a whole new story which asks ‘what if Watchmen had been conceived now, in the contemporary political landscape and with the Charlton characters themselves, rather than analogues?

So the cover hs a close-up on a burning peace flag and a Delmore Schwartz quote – ‘Time is the school in which we learn, time is the fire in which we burn’ – and it all blossoms from there.

Source

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
CA: How much of all of this is going to be tying in with Multiversity, if anything?

GM: Not much -- there's a little bit of tie-in, but Multiversity is its own thing since I wanted it to be quite complete in itself and to be a final statement -- I always make these "final statements," [laughs] and Multiversity is my latest "final statement." It's kind of very self-enclosed, but there are little points of crossover, like the black President Superman from Final Crisis #7 is a major character in Multiversity and there's a kind of crossover between him and the DC Superman in a later episode of Action Comics. So there are little bits of crossovers here and there.

CA: What's the process like with Multiversity? Did you start the individual issues first and then work the framework out from there?

GM: I worked out which of the Earths I wanted and then, as with Seven Soldiers, which was originally just a collection of disparate characters. I began to think, "Well, this would be much more fun if I was able to link them all together," and then what kind of structure does that provide when you start to come up with that idea? Multiversity began to develop this structure, because I thought, I've got seven parallel worlds, I've got two bookends, and it's set in a bigger world that encompasses all of those, so how do I link these?

And then I found the device of using the comic books within the comic books. The first parallel-world story was "Flash of Two Worlds" (Flash #123), and in that one you see Barry Allen reading a Jay Garrick Flash comic, and that's what inspires him. I loved that idea that each of the worlds had comic book versions of the other worlds, so Earth-10 opens with Hitler on the toilet with constipation reading Action Comics, and he's furious!

CA: I noticed that in your first two issues of Authority as well, since when they went to the Earth-Prime analogue--

GM: Exactly, yeah, they're reading Warren Ellis's Authority! So yeah, they're reading each other's adventures, so there's some way that if a real big emergency arises, they can communicate using comic books. So each world has a comic from the previous world which has clues to the disaster that's coming their way, and they all have to basically start communicating using writers and artists so it's my big, big statement.

CA: So will you be following up on stuff from Final Crisis with MONITOR and...?

GM: Nix Uotan's in it; he's got a big part to play. The rest of the Monitors aren't in it, but he's in there as a main character. We've got a bunch of new villains, I'm so pleased with these conceptual villains. I don't want to talk too much about it, but the Earth-Prime comic is, I think, the most advanced thing I've ever done. I'm so excited about this. It's just taking something that used to be done in comics and captions that they don't do anymore and turning it into a technique, a weapon, but beyond that I don't want to say. It's a haunted comic book, actually, it's the most frightening thing anyone will ever read. It's actually haunted -- if you read this thing, you'll become possessed. [laughs]

Source

• 2 months later...

Bringing up a page on the screen, Quitely discussed the problem-solving aspect of his work which he says often takes as much time as the actual drawing. The images on the screen, from Grant Morrison's upcoming "Multiversity" series, all had something more complicated about them than your average comics page. In a page split into three horizontal panels, two characters walk down a flight of stairs: in the first panel they walk left to right, in the second they walk right to left, and in the third they walk left to right again. The middle panel, therefore, has them walking against the normal flow of a page.

"When I got the script in for this, I wasn't really happy about it because it's a real bugbear of mine when things go the wrong way," Quitely explained. "But the script itself was echoing what was actually going on -- they were talking about things going backwards, or going into reverse, or something like that."

Consequently, Quitely told us, these pages took a lot longer than usual to actually work out before he got past the initial page layout stage.

"Having said that," Quitely continued, "one of the problems was there was a wee bit of performance anxiety involved in this. The comic that that was for is called 'Pax Americana' -- this is this 'Multiversity' thing that Grant Morrison's writing. He's getting a bunch of different artists each to do one of these books, and the one that I'm doing is the Charlton characters. These were old comic book characters that the publisher, DC [Comics], acquired years ago. The most famous comic, called 'Watchmen,' it's based on them, these characters. But because a couple of them died in the story, DC wouldn't let him [Moore] use the actual Charlton characters so they [Moore and Gibbons] made their own versions of them.

"But Grant recently said in an interview, just right before I started thumbnailing the script, he said something to the effect that this will be 'Watchmen' -- but done right! And that's the thing, he hates Alan Moore," Quitely joked, referencing the much-publicized comments Morrison has made topwards Moore over years."[Grant] thinks he's overrated, so he's quite happy to say, 'This is the way it should be done!' But I love Dave Gibbons, the guy that drew the original, and he's not overrated in the slightest! So now that [Grant's] said that, I can't hand in something that doesn't actually work!"

Source

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I was there at Glasgow con...I am still not holding my breath that this will happen unless they somehow make this the way to get out of this awful reboot.

Sorry, slightly off topic, but I was at that con as well, it was a bit of a letdown, wasn't it? Small stage, crap acoustics, and a dealers room, you couldn't swing a cat in. I wouldn't have minded, but it was £9 a ticket, for pretty much a tour of a church.

And yeah, I won't be interested in this till the first issue is solicited, until then, it's just Morrison teasing fans.

• 1 month later...

I'm always back and forth on Morrison but I fully endorse this separate Charleton relaunch. In many ways this is the way for them to follow up Watchmen, but giving those same base characters to their top creator and letting him loose with them. It's significantly more worthy than the Before Watchman cash-ins.

• 7 months later...