The all purpose new bat-book thread.

SuaveStar

So now it's June, Nightwing has been cancelled as has Robin and Birds of prey. They will now be replaced with:

Streets of Gotham

Batman and Robin

Gotham city Sirens

Red Robin

Along with the return of Batman, Detective comics with Batwoman and the Question and still ongoing Batman: Confidential and the always mediocre Outsiders.

The new books have already started to come out, so come here to rant, rave and vent on these books, new and old and say what's on your mind in the new Batman universe.

Blackest Night: Batman technically will count in this thread even though it looks like a cheap tie in.

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All I know is that Blackest Night: Batman looks interesting if only for Zombie Flying Graysons.

Gotham City Sirens I've got set aside for June while I'm gone, here. Odds are it's going to be first and foremost eye candy, but I think it'll be worth at least a first issue.

It's Dini writing Harley Quinn, and it's like Morrison and his mirror master, no one writes the character like their creator.

I am getting the issues, not because it's eye candy but for the fact that

Hush comes back as Bruce Wayne and sets his sights on Harley.

I'm not getting Red Robin past issue 1 and I can't stand outsiders, and everyone knows I don't like Rucka's writing, the rest I have ordered months in advance so if they suck, I'll have a few issues to make a definitive decision.

Also the Blackest night Batman wasn't what i was expecting, but it could be good.

I liked Red Robin and Batman but thats no surprise since I'm a fan of Yost and Winick and I like all the characters involved and their current direction. One little, thing, I wish they'd released the Batman issue before the Batman & Robin issue, it sets up a lot of the status quo of Morrison's run. I wish linear storytelling was a bigger consideration in the release dates.

Interesting column in the back of issues this month with DiDio essentially giving his reasons for not killing Dick Grayson in IC and the role it played in essentially killing Nightwing instead.

Yeah, I was lucky enough to have B&R on order so I read the Batman issue first and i thought it was really interesting the interplay between the new trinity is now set up. Batman cannot be a member of this new JL simply because of the way that Kal and Diana are grieving. I thought it was very telling how they came to Dick looking for help with Bruce's contingency plan. They're as lost as everyone else and in many ways, it set Dick up not as their equal, but as their superior as far as heroes.

Out of the three of them, he is the hero who exists as a sense of duty and fulfilling a legacy that needs to be filled. It is the set-up for possibly the greatest hero in the DCU and I'm excited to see how it all pans out.

Yeah, I was lucky enough to have B&R on order so I read the Batman issue first and i thought it was really interesting the interplay between the new trinity is now set up. Batman cannot be a member of this new JL simply because of the way that Kal and Diana are grieving. I thought it was very telling how they came to Dick looking for help with Bruce's contingency plan. They're as lost as everyone else and in many ways, it set Dick up not as their equal, but as their superior as far as heroes.

I liked the fact that they came to Dick with their grief only to realise that their loss pales compared to that of the people in the cave, especially Alfred. I mean, chasing down a contingency plan for a world without a Batman is a flimsy premise for being there like that, and Alfred just snapped them out of it by stating exactly what Bruce's death really meant.

They need to stick with this for years if possible. The Bat-books will sell based on the creators and Batman, not Bruce Wayne.

I liked the fact that they came to Dick with their grief only to realise that their loss pales compared to that of the people in the cave, especially Alfred. I mean, chasing down a contingency plan for a world without a Batman is a flimsy premise for being there like that, and Alfred just snapped them out of it by stating exactly what Bruce's death really meant.

They need to stick with this for years if possible. The Bat-books will sell based on the creators and Batman, not Bruce Wayne.

Exactly. It only made the later confrontation at the proposed funeral that much mroe powerful. Dick is set up to be the best damned superhero DC's got. And I can't wait to see how it unfolds. Hopefully they can keep him at least until the next Bat-film comes around.

I've heard nothing bad about the new books so far.

None of them seem like crap put out just to make more money.

But we haven't reached the halfway point of the full list yet.

Well, we really only have Detective Comics, Gotham City Sirens, Streets of Gotham, and Batgirl left. I refuse to believe Dini can do wrong, and Rucka is in his element meaning Batgirl is the only one that might suck and, to tell you the truth, I won't be too surprised if that happens. Something about the covers and teasers just makes me shudder.

I have not yet read any of Red Robin, Batman and Robin, or Streets of Gotham. I definitely want all of those, I don't know about Gotham City Sirens, I have time to wait and decide, I wanna look at a preview of it when comes online, before I think about buying it next week. I am probably not going to get Blackest Night: Batman. Its a waste of money for me, I never really liked Deadman, it doesn't matter, its coming in August, time to enjoy my summer before thinking about it.

Not actually that much good out, I'm still not liking the Oustiders. I am probably not going to spend my summer with Batwoman Detective Comics (so angry at the switch), instead I will build up my collection of Batman Detective Comics issues. Sadly, the only Batman Detective Comics I own are #842 and #844. I have not read any later ones. My goal is to collect the last twenty Batman Detective Comics. All Star Batman and Robin Boy Wonder Volume 1 is coming out this summer. I don't know if I will get it. Its the first 9 issues in one book, I already own #5 and #9. I have looked around and found out that the ones I have are the cheapest online, all the other issues are pretty expensive. I will spend less money if I get the Volume 1 than get issue by issue. if I get Volume 1, I will have those two extra issues, I will probably hold on to them. I am also probably going to get Batman: Confidential. Besides the new dynamic duo, there is not that much interesting in DC this summer, although I can't wait for a couple DCU DTVs to come out.

I refuse to believe Dini can do wrong

His latest Bat-work proves otherwise.

Okay, I will agree that Countdown was ass. Sweet wounded Jesus, it was ass. Still, I have never had a reason to fault him on any of his Batman work. I enjoyed his run on Detective Comics, mainly for it's nature as a series of one-shots. I'm not a huge fan of the entire "Write For the Trade" mentality that fills a lot of comics these days. Many stories that can be told in one issue are told over six (or 51) and feel incredibly stretched out and pointless because they need to fill up a trade paperback. Heart of Hush was the best part of R.I.P. Overall, Dini does have the black mark of Countdown ever hanging over his head and that will haunt him for years to come but from what I've seen of Sirens and Streets of Gotham, I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt.