Jurassic Park 4

Colin Trevorrow To Helm ‘Jurassic Park 4′ For Universal And Steven Spielberg

By MIKE FLEMING JR | Thursday March 14, 2013 @ 1:51pm PDT

EXCLUSIVE: Colin Trevorrow, who made his feature directorial debut on the no-budget Sundance pic Safety Not Guaranteed, is about to make a Tyrannosaurus rex-sized leap in scale for his next film. He has been set by Universal Pictures to helm Jurassic Park 4, the third sequel to the dinosaur franchise hatched from Michael Crichton’s novel.Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes scribes Rick Jaffa and Amanda Silver have written the script. Frank Marshall is producing with Patrick Crowley, and Steven Spielberg is executive producer. It will be shot in 3D and get released June 13, 2014. This is Spielberg’s baby, and he got this giant franchise going by directing the first two films. This is a big piece of business for Universal and Spielberg; their last Jurassic Park picture was released in 2001, directed by Joe Johnston.

Trevorrow made his jump to features on Safety Not Guaranteed, which FilmDistrict acquired and released and which grossed $4 million. He’s making a humungous step up in every way by joining a franchise which, in three films, has grossed nearly $2 billion worldwide, with Universal preparing a theatrical rerelease of the first film in 3D on April 5.

Why Trevorrow? He met with the studio and filmmakers, and they felt he was a good match for the material, having grown up a huge fan of the trilogy and part of a new generation of directors steeped in all things dinosaur. They felt he would preserve and protect the characters in the story they created.

Source.

Okay, I'm game.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Erm, what am I missing that's getting everyone excited?

Also, who grows up a fan of the trilogy? A fan of the first film - fine. No-one likes The Lost World and I didn't bother with the third instalment, despite it featuring Sam Neill and William H Macy.

I liked a lot of things about Safety, but I just can't get past Aubrey Plaza. Her delivery turns me off of everything I see her in, outside of Scott Pilgrim. It's one of the reasons I couldn't get into Parks and Rec, too.

That said, the directing was top notch and I think this is a great sign for the Jurassic Park franchise.

Fuck yes! For my money, at least on a character and emotional level, Safety Not Guaranteed was better than Skyfall, The Dark Knight Rises, and The Avengers.

Well yeah, it's not a vapid action blockbuster.

You hold your tongue on Skyfall, young'un. And, to a lesser extent, The Dark Knight Rises.

• 5 months later...