initial thoughts

Rjoyadet

Since many of the books on the reading list has a political message, I was wondering if there could be a section on the forum about peoples initial reaction to passages, the book in particular, or even the author. Or should they be posted in another section of the Earth-2.net forums?

If it's about the book, they should stay in the podcast section. Thoughts concerning specific books should probably stay in that episode's thread. If it's about an overall idea or a book yet to be covered, you could start a new topic under the podcast section.

Okay, in that case let me begin with saying thank you for putting "The Handmaidens Tale" on the list. I have been curious about it in the past and so far I do not regret reading it. Atwood focused on a section of humanity that almost all previous dystopian writers forgot, or outright ignored.

That being said when reading it I found myself getting upset, not just in the "oh my gosh this is a horrible society" upset, but also feeling "I know what she is trying to say and I disagree with it" upset.

The only other book by Margaret Atwood that I read before this is "Year of the Flood" for my philosophy class. While the beginning and middle were good, the ending left me confused. We did not understand what was up with all the naked blue men. I am beginning to wonder if she is an equal opportunity offender like Heinlein, or does my distaste reveal more about me than her?

• 4 weeks later...

The thing that made me upset in The Handmaidens Tale was how abortionists were portrayed as snowmen and shown being hung in public. To me that felt too one sided. It also felt a bit hypocritical, since in the next chapter the main character is discussing her discomfort with being examined. (are there touch free abortions?) In year of the flood Atwood seemed to suggest that humans would be better off if they only mated during certain seasons so any argument for reproductive rights were lost (although in her defense Year of the Flood came out decades after The Handmaidens Tale.)

However, you guys did point out that the people did practice abortions they just called it "shredding." I feel I must apologize and applaud her brilliance. I can totally see a dictatorship or dystopia practicing a horror that they themselves abhor. They just call it something different.

I have not read Year of the Flood, so I can't really speak to that.

But if I recall correctly, the "abortionists" were identified as doctors who performed abortions before Gilead society was established. So they're just doctors who performed a procedure under the old guard who are now hunted down by the new. However, Gilead lies to their citizens--they could just as easily be any other dissident dressed up in a white coat.

With all the pressures to have children in this society, I don't think any women would seek out a termination, and even if she somehow wanted one, I don't believe she has that choice. The thing about the Shredders--I think that's meant to refer to disposal of imperfect infants but only once they're been born--pre-natal care isn't much and the entire focus is the safe birth of the child.

I have not read Year of the Flood, so I can't really speak to that.

But if I recall correctly, the "abortionists" were identified as doctors who performed abortions before Gilead society was established. So they're just doctors who performed a procedure under the old guard who are now hunted down by the new. However, Gilead lies to their citizens--they could just as easily be any other dissident dressed up in a white coat.

With all the pressures to have children in this society, I don't think any women would seek out a termination, and even if she somehow wanted one, I don't believe she has that choice. The thing about the Shredders--I think that's meant to refer to disposal of imperfect infants but only once they're been born--pre-natal care isn't much and the entire focus is the safe birth of the child.

My gosh! I did not think of that. That makes a lot more sense.

• 10 months later...

I have only heard people talk down on the John Carter books. People like Michael D.C. Drout always seemed to make it out to be just fan service for 14 year old boys. While I will not argue that "A Princess of Mars" is anything highbrow and might be what Margaret Atwood had in mind when she tries to separate her Speculative Fiction from Science Fiction. Bearing that in mind, I am finding the read to be fun.

I am enjoying the description of not only the Tharks but the animals like Woola and the boar creatures. I remember Dan mentioned how Lucas lifted the coliseum scene in "Attack of the Clones" but I am seeing connections with other stories like golden age Superman.

• 9 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I am going into Hyperion with no backstory whatsoever. I did not look up reviews or excerpts or even the authors story. All I know is that there was a reference to it in the anime "The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya"

tumblr_lvldd4ttM21qdxloc.jpg

i3734396935.jpg

Halfway through the poet's story. I think the reason why it was brought up in an anime is because this book is anime in prose form.