Sherlock Holmes

JackFetch

Robert Downey Jr. (Iron Man) is set to star in Sherlock Holmes, the drama that Guy Ritchie will direct for Warner Bros. Pictures, says Variety.

Downey has committed to the film, which begins shooting in October, after Ritchie turned in a polish of the latest version of the script, written by Anthony Peckham.

Joel Silver, Lionel Wigram, Susan Downey and Dan Lin are producing.

The trade says that Sherlock Holmes will take advantage of Downey Jr.'s physical skills as the character displays brawn as well as brains.

The basis for the film is Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's classic tales, but also the comic book "Sherlock Holmes."

With Downey aboard, the film will go into production before a comedy that just coalesced at Columbia Pictures, with Sacha Baron Cohen playing Holmes, and Will Ferrell playing his crime-fighting partner Dr. Watson.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=46743

Is there any character Downey can't play?

• 10 months later...

OK, now I want to make that film. I want to do a story about Sherlock Holmes displaced in time attempting to solve cases in LA proving that modern technology and policing techniques are no match good old fashioned deductions. At first the kids don't trust him but soon they learn to respect him, especially after he saves the local gang leaders daughter by tracking down her kidnappers.

Holmes: I deduce it was you, Filthy Reyes!

Big Taco: My own right hand man?! How'd you figure it homes?

Holmes: Elementary my dear Taco...

I demand story credit and a producer position.

Honest Ernst Stavros Blofeld's original story Sherlock Holmes and the Mystery of Los Gringos is legally distinct from any ideas, thoughts or concepts that may have been speculated upon by supposed Desmond "the liar" Reddick and Arthur Conman Doyle. In fact materials can be provided that prove this brilliant tale predates any other story or musing regarding the dramatic use of detective work on any current, previous or future continent including Greek myth and obscure Mayan pyramid etchings. Any attempt to claim credit will be refuted and counter-sued to fullest extent of galactic law.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Saw this last night. It was a lot of fun, very entertaining. When it ended my fiance said, "I want to see a sequel [to that]."

Yup, its the most sequel orientated film I've seen in a long time, they clearly figure on this being a big franchise. I liked it a lot too, it does exactly what is says on the tin, RDJ being RDJ, extensive bromance between Holmes and Watson, plenty of detective work, plenty of fighting and a nefarious villain in Mark Strong. Its not going to change your worldview, but its a worthy successor to the Pirate of the Carribean family blockbuster spot, and in this case I think the sequels might be genuinely entertaining.

Saw it last night, mostly it was good, with one or two slow points, Rachel McAdams was utter shit though, at one point she gets an Irish accent, when she robs that guy with the flowers and that completely made me just not care about her.

The best part of this was the chemistry and banter between Law and RDJ, and for the first twenty minutes, I did think it would work better the other way, RDJ being Watson and Law being Holmes, but then I got into the film, and thought they played their parts well. Even if the reveals at the end were a little, shit.

Also, I realy want more sequels with this cast, RDJ and Law, McAdams, I hope they just find someone new as she was easily the worst part of the film.

I thought this was really good and probably Law's best performance since, well, Gatitca. I like that they left the casting of the sequel open. I thought McAdams was really good, but that could have been my little heading thinking :)

Seriously though, really enjoyable movie to watch, I read a review that called it the Butch Cassidy & Sundance of that time.

• 1 month later...

I just finished watching it. I thought it was ok, but what was supposed to be a close friendship looked more like they were in love with each other. It was awkward since they both had female relationships also. I hope the big guy comes back in the sequel. I can see him as the Jaws(from 007) of this series.