The Defenders

Molly

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Three episodes in on Luke Cage and I'm not even sure I want to watch anymore. Every time I think the acting is great, there's a ridiculously over the top mind-bogglingly poor acting choice. The action is terrible, by far the worst of the Netflix Marvel stuff. The writing is flat. 

The first half of the season as per usual with Marvel is by far the best.

Interesting. I thought it took 5 or 6 episodes before both of the Daredevil seasons really got going, while Jessica Jones hit a point where they could have ended, but artificially extended things. 

I could see that with DD1 and maybe JJ but DD2? Once they switched to the hand I though it went downhill fast.

• 3 months later...

The Daredevil, Jessica Jones, and Luke Cage trailers all possessed their own unique styles, and told you everything you needed to know going into each program. This one lacks any sort of originality and uniqueness; it looks like a mixture of Batman and Iron Man, what with the prodigal son returned, a rival executive, and Asians foes. The only difference is the mystical power, but the trailer didn't so enough to sell that angle. I'm employing the Wait & See approach, but I'm going in with very low expectations.

The Daredevil, Jessica Jones, and Luke Cage trailers all possessed their own unique styles, and told you everything you needed to know going into each program. This one lacks any sort of originality and uniqueness; it looks like a mixture of Batman and Iron Man, what with the prodigal son returned, a rival executive, and Asians foes. The only difference is the mystical power, but the trailer didn't so enough to sell that angle. I'm employing the Wait & See approach, but I'm going in with very low expectations.

It looks, and has the plot of, the fucking Arrow TV show. If that's not an indication to not watch, I don't know what is.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I haven't started it yet, waiting until later tonight to catch it with my gf, but if it's boring or uninspiring throughout I won't feel bad in not completing it. All of the Netflix shows at some point feel like a chore to get through, either because they're so dark or because I feel the need to stay in the loop with what happens. Since they've been filming the Defenders, I'm less inclined to worry about what I might miss that isn't adequately covered in a Wikipedia entry.

Even if you discount the unfortunate "white guy goes to the East to learn Eastern things and becomes the best at all the Eastern things" motif (and so soon after Doctor Strange, which was really poor planning),my main thing is that the whole point of Iron Fist is that he's the greatest martial artist who ever martial arted, and if that's the case, the fight scenes in this should be fucking spectacular, and they just aren't. I'm not looking for another hallway fight or Luke marching through the community center, but these are just standard issue TV fight scenes that aren't even as good as some of what they've been able to do on Agents of SHIELD.