The Defenders

Molly

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Three episodes in. I thought the first episodes was about as bad as everyone's been saying, but that it picked up slightly with the next two. Right now it's not a bad show, but it's not...good either. The other three shows had style and a definitive quality to them that differentiated from each other. There's nothing notable or memorable about this yet.

Just finished. It ended up being moderately decent by the end, picking up around episode 8. I got into the Meachems much more than the first half, and the angrier Danny Rand got the better Finn Jones' performance was. It's not bad but it was never great. The other three shows at one point or another, were great. 

Finally finished. It did improve about halfway through, but still never really rose above the level of adequate. Far too much time was spent on the corporate stuff, the action tended to be dull and badly choreographed and shot (the episode directed by Kevin Tancharoen was a notable exception), Finn Jones was totally miscast both in terms of his acting and his ability to fight, and the writing was very weak.

However, it looked good, was generally an easy way to kill a couple of hours at a time, and if you had told me at the beginning that Ward would turn out to be the most interesting and three dimensional character in the series by orders of magnitude, I would have pointed and laughed at you, but here we are.

Also, does Colleen Wing even OWN a pair of shoes?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Iron fist was a good show. The early reviews were way off base. Not like it changed my life but it was one of the more consistently good shows, no outrageous highs but none of the lows the DD2 and Luke Cage fell into in the second half.

This looks good. I'm sufficiently hyped.

For those who don't follow me on social media, my aunt Debbi Morgan is going to be in the show for three episodes. She told me months ago (she initially auditioned for T'Challa's stepmother for Black Panther), and most of her scenes will be with Luke and/or Claire. 

For those who don't follow me on social media, my aunt Debbi Morgan is going to be in the show for three episodes. She told me months ago (she initially auditioned for T'Challa's stepmother for Black Panther), and most of her scenes will be with Luke and/or Claire. 

Oh wow, that's awesome! I'll keep an eye out for her.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

2 episodes in. I like it, it's solid. It's not perfect. Some scenes are better than others. But they do a great job of every scene with the individual Defenders feels right out of their own show, color palate and all. It's really fun seeing Matt and Jessica again after so long. If you don't care as much about the characters, I can see how it can be pretty slow going. But it's at least DDseason 2, which people only disliked because of Elektra's plotline. She's much more like the Miller original so far in this. 

So far, so good. Not great but good.

Yeah, this was good but not all-time classic. The team-up aspect was a lot of fun; Cox, Ritter and (especially) Colter are all in great form and their interactions are really good. Jones is again the weak link, but this time the show is fully aware of what a whiny, entitled dipshit Danny is (unlike on his own show) and he gets called out a lot. Like, a lot. As for supporting cast, for every Colleen Wing or Stick who contributes a lot to the story, there's a Karen Page or Trish Walker where you wonder why they brought the actor back in at all.

The story itself is not awesome. I'm so sick of the Hand. Sigourney Weaver does her best but isn't given much to work with, and I counted at least two "We're not so different" speeches in this thing. However, the character work was enough for me to generally enjoy this, and at eight episodes it doesn't overstay its welcome. A full season would have been a huge mistake.

On 5/4/2017 at 8:17 PM, Donomark said:

The kid's mom?