The Defenders

Molly

I'm with Des, the first episode is okay. Some baffling choices in the opening, namely starting the show with a terrible child actor and the block of exposition in the confessional that would be much better shown with the narration over it. Things pick up once we get into Matt and Foggy practicing law, as the actors have a good rapport. I like the build-up of the Kingpin, maybe because his lieutenant has a really punchable face and I already can't wait for him to screw up for the last time. The best part of the episode was the ending montage showing Matt's determination against the scope of the crime he's up against.

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I watched the whole season. A couple of things that stood out to me:

1. He was only in the red costume the last 15 minutes of the season. That felt really odd considering how much they put into the costume reveal.

2. Wilson Fisk is a very sympathetic character. Even when he's ripping a guy's head off with his car door he feels more like a special child throwing a tantrum than an evil crime lord.

3. Madame Gao. I want to know who she really is. She is really strong for an elderly Asian lady. When she said she was going to her homeland, she was asked if she meant China, she said it was considerably farther than that.

4. Ben Urich. I can't believe they killed him off. He's a staple of the Marvel universe.

5. Karen Page. Her character seems all over the place. Sometimes she's helpless and scared. Then she's shooting people claiming she's shot others before. One minute she's all over Foggy, and then seems upset that he might be falling for her. She has no problems lying to Matt and Foggy, and stealing from them by buying equipment for the office they can't afford, yet they don't seem to care.

Fair enough. I thought he was good in the scene where he's stitching up Jack Murdock, but I just didn't buy that opening.

I like how episode 2 sets up not just Rosario Dawson but that they're not going to do "Matt and Foggy have a new case" every episode. And yes, the ending fight is fantastic for showing how normal Matt's strength is and how fatigued he can get. Unlike a certain other work I could name, them doing the scene in one take really adds to it.

The ending of episode 4 is really brutal, but I'm not sure how I feel about this manbaby take on The Kingpin. I suppose it is something different, but I don't think it fits for the character.

I don't mind the kid so much as the confession scene which was cliched when my friend wrote it into his film in the 80s. Total waste of screen time. I like the kid more even in episode 2. Dawson's great and the Foggy/Karen dynamic is great. I liked the hallway fight seeing as it blows the first ep out of the water. It still bugged me.

He's injured and knows a guy is getting up, so why the fuck would he do a fucking spinning drop kick when he could just kick the guy in the face? Stupid. At least most of that fight didn't have the "punch a guy fifteen times in the face to knock him down" thing that every action movie seems to have now. If you're trying to convince me that a guy is tough, maybe don't have him punch someone fifteen times. One or two will do.

NIGHT NURSE!

Okay, that scene in episode 12 where Matt is chasing the car across the city rooftops is the first time i have ever seen a live-action property successfully do something that's been a staple of comics for 75 years. Amazing.

Finished it. I thought the first five episodes or so were mediocre, but things began to pick up with the sixth. Then they really got going with Episode 8 and it just got better and better until the end. They dropped a lot of hints for the future, so they're pretty confident there's going to be another season. I'm pretty excited to see it, which I wouldn't have said after the first couple.

Finished as well. This is probably the closest, most accurate Marvel character adaptation there's ever been, if not comic adaptation period. The series sort of feels like a long movie and you get that sense that an overall story was told. Loved all of the cast to death except Fisk. I never warmed to him, but I can't deny that he's a helluvan interesting character. I just wanna see Daredevil show up in everything Marvel does now, and it'd be easy as long as Stark or someone just needed a lawyer.

The movie feel of the show makes sense with it being a Netflix show, favoring binge watching over distinct installments.

I took a lot more to Fisk in the back half; he didn't really grab me in the first half except for the end of Episode 4. And while he's easily the only other worthwhile villain in the MCU, he's not The Kingpin.

Fisk was fascinating, and nailed that "child and monster" thing D'Onofrio was talking about. However, the fact that D'Onofrio (who I absolutely fucking LOVE) was very visibly Acting throughout took me out of the performance. It was by far the least natural performance in the entire series, even as it was compelling to watch.