Sign in to follow this  
Deer Tick

Sci Fi Cover Art

I'm wondering if there are any great or iconic works/creators of cover art out there that we can discuss and/or post images of (or would that be a violation of copyright?)

thanks!

D

Have at it. Try not to post anything too huge or people with slower connections could have problems (or put them in spoiler tags). Otherwise, go nuts.

The 50s and 60s were an unbelievable time for SF cover art. The publishers discovered surrealism in a big big way. That's why we usually use cover art from that period in the iTunes cover art.

I know, right? I saw that in my school library in maybe fourth grade, and after looking at that cover there was nothing that was going to stop me from reading it.

The books aren't all the greatest, but these were the covers that got me to grab these books at used book stores and introduced me to the work of each author, who have all changed my life.

cvappobl.gif

TrailsInDarknessHoward401.jpg

gm_417.jpg

813lwptjn3l-_sl1377_.jpg?w=864&h=1377

d8621b8e8e50f1ae7b1bc7b69b4f2419.jpg

e6f59019cf9c4e491de7dfc7b214ebda.jpg

The following books are graphic novels so they may not fit in "Books without pictures" but these books were the gateway drug that introduced me to science fiction. In the past ten years these series of books have gotten reprinted three times and that does not include a collection of the authors watercolor paintings.

626339.jpg

51CT6MM8J0L._SY300_.jpg

51Q7M2Z98XL._SY300_.jpg

nausicaa%20p4.jpg

When Hermes Press released the early Buck Rogers comics I noticed that there were similarities with the aesthetics (Clothes, guns etc.) I would not be surprised if Hayao Miyazaki took some inspiration from those comics.

I suggested to Mike a "grumpy old men" segment comparing the latest Buck Rogers with the 1982 "Nausicaa." I was ready to give him scans of both issues, but never got an answer.

One of my favorites from when I was a kid (and it definitely got me to read the book):

wringkle.jpg

I can see why. I frikin' love "A Wrinkle in time."