Suggestions of shows we could cover.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheers, enjoying the pdcast but suffering through gaping holes in my DVD collection, although am very tempted to pick up Ultraviolet now, just to see the awesomeness that is Pierce.

Will definitley join for The Prisoner though, love that show.

Thanks Murray (I know of you via your feedback to The Black Dog!). And I would be throwing stones within my house of glass if I were judging anyone on gaping holes in their DVD library....

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I only saw one episode of UFO and I remember one sequence rubbing me the wrong way. On the moon base there was a series of push buttons to get food, and it was all organized by nationality. I realized that if I was ever there I would starve since Belize does not have a food associated with them. Maybe since I am American born I could eat all the deep fried and sugary things and see whether I die of obesity or cavities first.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Can I suggest "Todd & the Book of Pure Evil", a show which ran for 26 episodes on the Canadian channel Space. It is akin to redoing BtVS but with stoned metal heads as your leads and The Middlemans sense of joy at the bizarreness abounding on screen.

I know it has seen air the States and the UK, but I'm not sure how big it was.

Thanks for the suggestion, Hermitdude - welcome to the forums! I know Des has covered that show (at least in part) for Dread Media, but that doesn't preclude us from adding it to our To Do list.

I've chalked up another vote for Pushing Daisies on behalf of my third cousin, whom I met for the first time the other week.

• 2 weeks later...

As much as Buck Rogers does qualify for TABHAL I really hate the second season and I'm not sure I can bring myself to willingly suit through it again. I'd have to psyche myself up for it.

What, the series looses its charm when they add a fat admiral and one of the worst Robots ever on TV? Surely not.

While I'm sure you have the Year of cheese planned out an it by no known standards actually conforms to the Twice as Bright part of the title, there is late 90s Baywatch Meets Knight Rider with a boat and Hulk Hogan "Thunder in Paradise"

Also could be known as "Patrick McNee needs a Conservatory"

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Of course, we're hardly strangers to covering overtly 90s TV shows!

I just came across Space Precinct and laugh at how this is a blend of 70's and 90's buddy cop tropes to make such an awful mess that I cannot stop watching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkW_k8FZMGY

It also has a cameo from a recurring actor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRDB9R2_Jk4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Listened to a certain podcast, where a feedbacker suggested a certain very short lived spinoff that had a "backdoor pilot" done in the guise of a TV movie of a show that ran for 5 years.

While this spinoff would be a good thing to do on this show, I'd reckon there are some very short lived spinoffs of classic shows that are worth covering:

Joey, lasted a season and a half (I don't think the final episodes aired here in the states), spinning off of Friends

AFTERM.A.S.H. Probably the most well known of the failed M.A.S.H. spinoffs (there is also a Radar specific one called WALTER)

Granted the examples I'm going to list are better for American viewers, but also followups to great runs by an actor or creator that didn't quite live up to the previous show's legacy are probably good fodder.

Studio 60 on The Sunset Strip Aaron Sorkin's next TV project following West Wing's run ending. Noted for starting the same time as 30 Rock with a vaguely similar premise, and Sorkin having a meltdown due to criticism of the show on a seemingly weekly basis.

BTW, sadly I don't have the time, or editing skills, to attempt such a project, but Aaron Sorkin's work is ripe for a Big Damn Heroes type of rewatch project.

Various failed attempts to follow up Seinfeld by members of its cast:

Jason Alexander:

Listen Up (which is loosely based on sports commentator Tony Kornheiser's life and career)

Bob Patterson

Michael Richards:

The Michael Richards Show

Julia Louis-Dreyfus (though with New Adventures of Old Christine and Veep she seems to have broken the "curse":

Watching Ellie

Julia really does. Mind you, she had a few notable roles prior to Seinfeld so it's no wonder she would be the one to succeed. Watching Ellis had a notably high concept. It was 24 the Comedy in that each episode was in real time. When it got beat in the ratings, they scrapped that for season 2 and it just died at that point.