Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

JackFetch

Concerning the identity of Robin that goes back to a previous potential spoiler that Mike brought up a few months back:

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/batman_vs_superman/news/?a=122760

What a lot of people forget is that outside of anyone who actively reads DC Comics, there is almost 0% awareness that Jason Todd is a thing that ever existed. Dick Grayson is Robin as far as the general public is concerned (except for a fairly small number of people who watched the last season of BTAS and remember Tim Drake from that). Dick was Robin in '66, in the Superfriends, in the bulk of BTAS, in the Schumacher films, in Teen Titans, in YJ, and in almost anything that the average moviegoer would have picked up on. While I would love to see an acknowledgement of a Robin other than Dick Grayson in a huge mainstream movie just because I like Tim as much as anyone else, it's highly doubtful they're going to go in that direction.

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That makes sense, but I don't think that's worth killing off Nightwing just for the sake of being able to use the name Dick Grayson on a gravestone. People know

Robin, Dick Grayson versus Jason Todd doesn't matter that much. Have Jason be the one who died, leave Dick alone in case they want to use Nightwing in the future, and they can always bring Jason back as Red Hood if they really want to in that case.

I'm not saying it wouldn't be awesome to have Dick in the movie (or one later on) as Nightwing. And we don't know that it isn't going to happen. However, a gravestone that says "Jason Peter Todd" will elicit shrugs from 99.999% of the audience without any context. "Richard John Grayson" will get a not-zero amount of people to go, "Oh, damn," because there

is some degree of recognition there. It's a trailer. It's designed to get attention, and Jason's name won't add to that.

That, the Under the Red Hood movie (which a surprising number of people have seen, especially because of Netflix), and the fact that Batman comic storylines have been heavily promoted in popular media. Maybe ten years ago Jason Todd was a comics-fans-only thing, but now he's got some recognition. Heck, he's actually gotten more recognition in the mainstream lately than Dick Grayson has.

I'm not saying it wouldn't be awesome to have Dick in the movie (or one later on) as Nightwing. And we don't know that it isn't going to happen. However, a gravestone that says "Jason Peter Todd" will elicit shrugs from 99.999% of the audience without any context. "Richard John Grayson" will get a not-zero amount of people to go, "Oh, damn," because there

is some degree of recognition there. It's a trailer. It's designed to get attention, and Jason's name won't add to that.

It would not be awesome. Remember Frank Miller's biggest fan is making these movies. Ask yourself what Frank Miller thinks of Dick Grayson

I think the idea of Jason Todd is a lot more public now more than ever than it was a decade ago (Ironically when he came back) that I don't think his inclusion would be outside the realm of reality. It's comparable to how Bucky's been done in the MCU to be sure, but also it seems these movies are going for a bit of a more closely tied relation to the comics than they've done before. The simplest thing in the world would be to not include a Robin at all, but the invoking of Jason Todd with the case, adding to the fact that this movie has its grip on Dark Knight Returns' dick makes me think that eyes are on a potential Nightwing/Red Hood casting down the road. Because with Marvel's inclusion of Falcon and Winter Solider, the idea of a universe building is being shown directly at Marvel. I would imagine from their perspective killing two birds with one stone so to speak by potentially having a Nightwing somewhere around and possibly setting up a Red Hood has more mileage on it than just briefly referencing a Robin who died a while back so some people wouldn't get confused. I think sometimes mainstream audiences' attention spans aren't given their due. It's not all that complicated if it follows DKR's backstory and keeps it with Dick and Jason.

Additionally, the one thing they've yet to do in the movies is actually showcase the Bat-Family (sans Batman and Robin). That's one of the biggest draws to the Batman franchise in the comics, and it's a path a new set of movies could follow. There's only so many times you can wrap a Batman movie's plot around a woman brainwashing him to give up being Batman while a guy ransacks the city.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...