JackFetch

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah okay, whatever problems you have with Man of Steel (and you are perfectly owed to have many) Henry Cavill should be at the bottom of that list. His casting was dead-on and he did the best with what he was given.

Honestly before seeing the movie I'm going in thinking out of the Trinity he's by far the best cast.

Yeah okay, whatever problems you have with Man of Steel (and you are perfectly owed to have many) Henry Cavill should be at the bottom of that list. His casting was dead-on and he did the best with what he was given.

Honestly before seeing the movie I'm going in thinking out of the Trinity he's by far the best cast.

I will agree with you on Cavil's casting and doing the best he could. Whether he's the best cast will have to wait till we see how Affleck and Gadot do.

• 2 weeks later...

So while early Twitter buzz was expressively positive, the movie's taken a bludgeoning with most critics. General opinion mentions more endless violence, surface-level characterization and a particularly nasty portrayal of Batman. The acting has been hit or miss depending on which critic, and the one uniformly positive everyone seems to agree on is Gadot's Wonder Woman.

It has a much lower RT score than Man of Steel ever did, currently sitting at 40%. I know plenty of people do not take that as scripture, but I felt Man of Steel's RT score was entirely accurate. This will probably end up the same movie as MoS but vastly more interesting to watch with bad characterization to cackle at. S'what I'm expecting at this point anyway

It has a much lower RT score than Man of Steel ever did, currently sitting at 40%.

It's still a little early to be looking at the RT score; reviews are going to keep trickling in for a couple of days until it actually releases. That said, the reviews have been pretty consistent, in that this is turning out to be precisely the movie everyone thought it was going to be.

I still plan on seeing it, because it strikes me as something that should be viewed in a theater (if nothing else, Snyder's movies look great), but I can't say the early word is surprising me at all.

I agree, it's the best looking CBM I've ever seen. It's reported to be one of the most expensive movies ever made.

It might be better than current buzz. After all I liked Age of Ultron far more than most people said they did. But I also feel seduced by the last few trailers and promos. That "Do you bleed? You will" line was a red flag from the start.

I don't know how to say this, but I was bored through a lot of the movie. Great performances, but the first half is really slow and kind of a mess some of the time. I loved the end fight. Seeing WW set him up for Superman was awesome. I'm going to refer to Affleck Batman as Second Amendment Batman. He has guns coming out of his guns. The one scene that is driving me crazy was the Pa Kent hallucination. Why was that even there, and why does he look older than he did when he died in MOS?

Was it a perfect movie? No but I think it was pretty decent.

The Good

• Batman: For the most part, this is one of the better portrayals of Batman that I've seen. Sure, we get Martha Wayne getting shot.... again... but it works for the story because this is not an origin story. This is a Batman who has history. There's been a Joker, he's had advesaries. Affleck is almost on par with Christian Bale and he helps that he's more than just a force of Nature.
  • Wonder Woman: Oh god, yes! No matter what you feel about the rest of the movie, Gal Godot is fucking spectacular as Wonder Woman.
  • The Side-Characters: In particular, Holly Hunter, Laurence Fishburne, Jeremy Irons and Amy Adams. All four bring more than their fairshare to the film.
  • Addressing Ramifications: There are multiple times that the events of the Man of Steel are addressed. It's addressed that people died in Metropolis, the effects of Superman on a world that has never (publicly) seen a metahuman before is addressed.
  • Action: The Action scenes are probably the best part. This is coming from a guy who usually cares less about the action scenes of movies. The Batman vs Superman fight would have been the highpoint if it weren't for that fight between Wonder Woman, Batman, and Superman vs Doomsday.

The Bad

• Set-up: Meaning hey, someone decided to do way too much set-up for the Justice League movie in here. Seriously, it's nice to hint. It's another thing to include like five minutes in a movie that's a tad too long to it. I really dread finding out what got cut-out if they kept this fat.
  • Everyone's Psychic!: Or at least Lois Lane is. There are more than a couple of times that Lois acts on Out-of-character knowledge. It leads to some plotholes like, "Hey, I just threw this spear in the water. Better swim to get it for no good reason!" For that matter, we never find out how Clark knows that Bruce is Batman or Lex knows Clark is Superman.
  • Lots of Pointless Scenes: As much as I liked Holly Hunter's character, she was ultimately pointless to the movie. The world already distrusted Superman, the entire plotline with the Senate Hearings were pointless. It could have been easily trimmed. It pretty much comes down to them needing Superman out of the plot for five minutes. Along the same lines, the Batman Dream Sequences were beyond pointless. We get it, you fear Superfacist. You also apparently dream about random Flashes/People from the Fourth World. We don't care. Your motivations were pretty clear.

The Weird

• Lex Luthor: I really don't know. I liked Jessie Eisenberg's Lex but I never really bought anything resembling motivation for what he was doing outside of being psycotic. Seriously, if we had more than a second of exposition as to his motives, I could have bought him as out main villain. As is? Hopefully he was fun but never really a serious threat.
  • Doomsday: Aka, the elephant in the room. I have shared Mike's feelings on Doomsday being a plot device and boy howdy is he one. The fact that it's Kryptonian tech threatening the world again is hilarious. He serves his purpose, I just wish they had done a better job of bringing him into the story to do so.
  • Geography: Wait, is Gotham a suburb of Metropolis? Are they two cities that are embarrassing close to each other? What?

I don't think the founder of Earth-2 liked it very much, if this Tweet does indeed refer to BvS.

I'm hoping to see it soon. I turn into a pumpkin too early to do a midnight screening and I'm traveling this weekend.

Can someone tell me why they wrote Superman as a socially awkward guy that doesn't talk? Christopher Reeves Superman would smile and ask people how they are doing and basically be a likeable guy. He would even give some advice to people after saving them. This Superman walks around slowly and just stares at everyone.