Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

JackFetch

My thoughts:

Pros-

-I thought it was the most beautiful superhero film ever made. It just looked fucking gorgeous. Nothing new for Snyder, but this is a highlight.

-Wonder Woman is fucking amazing.

-They went a long way to redeeming Superman subtly without shoving it in our faces.

-Ben Affleck might be my favorite cinematic Batman.

-I LOVED Eisenberg as Luthor. Loved him. One of my favorite parts of the film. Just crazy. Supersmart and crazy.

-Doomsday looked cool. Davin said (when the bones protruded out) "This is MY Doomsday!" That was hilarious.

-

the fucking coffin...holy shit

-Amazing display of superpowers. Loved it.

-The Flash cameo felt like the most comic book thing I've ever seen on the bigscreen.

Cons-

-Choppy. Some scenes appeared slapdash in how they were assembled.

-Felt weird that things didn't get worse for Superman PR-wise after

he flew into the hearing and the bomb went off.

-Too much in the way of nightmares/visions. It muddied the story direction.

-I understand why they had Batman lead Doomsday back into Metropolis (because a side quest of Batman driving to retrieve the weapon would have diverted form the main action AND had him save another woman in Superman's life) but it felt stupid.

Big moment for future DC films: When Luthor is

talking about the bell ringing and says "ding ding ding" at the end, he's talking about a Mother Box, right?

Overall: Easily the most ambitious superhero film ever made, even more than Watchmen. It fumbled a little, but I liked it more than all of the Marvel films except one or two.

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's not Catwoman level bad. It's not Daredevil bad. Or Green Lantern bad.

It's more that its disappointing. And not good.

And this is coming from someone who found things to like about the FF movie.

I've said this further up the thread but I only went to see it for Wonder Woman and Batfleck. There, I was not disappointed.

I had a huge fucking bunch of problems with this film, but I don't even think it's as bad as it's been savaged. It's Fantastic Four all over again. Yeah, it's bad, but critics and nerds love to dogpile on these movies when they're disappointing. 

Nerds (by which I'm not referring to the people on this forum) hate ambition and divergences from what they've built up the superheroes to be, even if the divergence is true to the characters. There isn't anything wrong with the core of what Fantastic Four and BvS wanted to do, the problem is that the execution fell short for both. 

Edited by Koete

Nerds (by which I'm not referring to the people on this forum) hate ambition and divergences from what they've built up the superheroes to be, even if the divergence is true to the characters. There isn't anything wrong with the core of what Fantastic Four and BvS wanted to do, the problem is that the execution fell short for both. 

I am 100% in agreement.

One thing I will agree with that I neglected to mention on CBFR is that I do think there's been a conspiratorial bias against the film. Stuff like the historic second week drop is one thing, but the constant probing and analyzing to when the movie will fail at whatever type of category is pretty bad. However you feel about the movie, I can't remember a previous CBF being treated like that with such bated breath as to when it will fail to make back it's moolah.

A big part of the dog pile on Fantastic Four was the utter glee people took in how hard it tanked financially. 

Which, when you think about it, is really odd. I have to assume that the said same people were rubbing themselves when the Golden Raspberries awarded it Worst Picture.

Well, that's fandom. It's not enough that Civil War has phenomenal word-of-mouth and will likely do really well; BvS also has to do poorly. ("Poorly" in this case meaning "profitable but maybe won't break $1B worldwide".) Because Marvel rules and DC is teh suck. Or something. 

I'll take an ambitious failure every time over polished mediocrity.

A-fucking-men. I go to the movies to be entertained and maybe get moved emotionally on some level. I would easily go and watch this again. It has more rewatchability than Dark Knight Rises. 

I heard people say they tried to cram too many characters in. What a load of bullshit;  computer files and security footage was a great way to soft intro characters. 

I'll take an ambitious failure every time over polished mediocrity.

A-fucking-men. I go to the movies to be entertained and maybe get moved emotionally on some level. I would easily go and watch this again. It has more rewatchability than Dark Knight Rises. 

I heard people say they tried to cram too many characters in. What a load of bullshit;  computer files and security footage was a great way to soft intro characters. 

I feel you.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Anybody check out the Ultimate Cut yet? It probably won't change people's minds, but it at least gives some characters more screentime (Lois and Lex certainly benefit), defines motivations better and adds some bits of characterization through small lines and moments(That shot of Martha waving to Batman warmed my heart).