Sign in to follow this  
slothian

Suggest future actors for the HAA! spotlight

On 12/7/2016 at 3:49 PM, You Know Who said:

Along with Sean Bean, there are other actors in less high-profile roles who might qualify:

-Michael York (though he's not had a major film role in a while)

-Alan Cumming (no, seriously)

-Michael Gambon

-John Hurt

-Toni Collette

-Naomi Campbell

Plus, you've done the Holy Trinity of Dames, but there's still Diana Rigg, Julie Andrews, and Angela Lansbury.

Second  for John Hurt. 

Ethan Hawke. I was originally gonna write an email about this, but I think Ian really needs to give this guy a fair shot -- if nothing else for his work with Richard Linklater (especially in Boyhood).

Thora Birch. An ideal ep could be Hocus Pocus, Ghost World (LOVE to hear your thoughts on that one) and American Beauty

Steve Guttenberg, and I'm not even joking. Between 1984 and 1987, he was in some of the highest grossing movies in each year, totaling $365,790,739.

Police Academy (1984): $81,198,894
Cocoon (1985): $76,113,124
Short Circuit (1986): $40,697,761
3 Men and a Baby (1987): $167,780,960

While that's not a huge span to cover, it is an impressive list of movies and speaks volumes about his ability to draw asses to seats.

On 19/09/2017 at 3:50 PM, The Master said:

Steve Guttenberg, and I'm not even joking. Between 1984 and 1987, he was in some of the highest grossing movies in each year, totaling $365,790,739.

Police Academy (1984): $81,198,894
Cocoon (1985): $76,113,124
Short Circuit (1986): $40,697,761
3 Men and a Baby (1987): $167,780,960

While that's not a huge span to cover, it is an impressive list of movies and speaks volumes about his ability to draw asses to seats.

Guttenberg is a great call. That guy was the other Tom Hanks for 5 years.

There's an alternate reality where Steve Guttenberg starred in Big and wound up with Tom Hanks' career.

For me, Guttenberg's appeal depends on how much you can stand his constant smirking. It's okay in small doses, but once you notice it, it gets tired.

Pandy & I can have the Guttenberg conversation when we record this weekend, but I guarantee that it will devolve into us singing the Stonecutters song.

There's a line at the beginning of The First Wives Club, "There are only three ages for women in Hollywood - Babe, District Attorney, and Driving Miss Daisy." It's a sad truth and the three female leads of the film have been working for years

Bette Midler - The woman just needs an Oscar and she'll EGOT. She nearly won an Oscar for her first role, The Rose, where she played a thinly veiled version of Janis Joplin. During the 80s, she became known for doing comedies, at one point playing one of two sets of twins in Big Business. Then there's that role she'll be known for for the rest of her life: Winnifred Sanderson in Hocus Pocus.

Goldie Hawn - Originally known for her role on Laugh-In, she rose to prominence for playing that sexy girl, winning an Oscar for Cactus Flower. She went onto play against type by starring in Private Benjamin which went onto be one of the biggest box office hits of it's year. While she did some great movies in the following years, the acclaim and the Box Office draw slowly fell away, though her last major role for years would be a bang, The Banger Sisters to be exact.

Diane Keaton - Look, if you're doing Diane Keaton, you have to do Annie Hall. Okay, now that that's out of the way, Diane Keaton is one of the greatest treasures of our time. She can do comedy (Baby Boom), she can do Drama (Reds), she can upstage MERYL!!! (Marvin's Room). She's still getting work (usually as The Mother) but one her most notable works in the last few years has been as a writer who has a bit of a sexual awakening with Jack Nicholson. (Something's Gotta Give)

Laurence Fishburne. He's had a pretty eclectic career, from Death Wish II to Pee Wee Herman to Boyz in the Hood and Higher Learning to the Matrix.

On 10/20/2016 at 11:57 PM, The Master said:

Please cover John Candy!

My suggestions:

• Uncle Buck
  • Splash
  • Planes, Trains & Automobiles
  • Cool Runnings

Thanks to The Black Dog for making me think about this.

Bumping this a year-plus later and adding a please to my request.

Joaquin Phoenix.

If only to wear out the ding every time Pandy says Joaquin Bottom!

BTW, if there a origin for that gag besides Pandy saying “Joaquin” as if he was saying “Wacking” and therefore a naughty pun?

On 06/01/2018 at 5:55 PM, SteveJRogers said:

BTW, if there a origin for that gag besides Pandy saying “Joaquin” as if he was saying “Wacking” and therefore a naughty pun?

It's a very, very funny name!

River Phoenix, please.

Stand By Me, Little Nikita, and My Own Private Idaho.

The star of half of Akira Kurosawa's films and the Clint Eastwood of Japan -- except better. In fact, his character in Yojimbo and Sanjuro was the inspiration for Eastwood's character in the Dollars trilogy.