Episode 134

RSS

After Dan casually makes a reference to the worst anime of all time, the show spirals out of control, leading to a curse-filled tirade, an appearance by Shana, and talk of the Power Rangers. On the topic of Doctor Who, a revenge-seeking cyborg hunts down his maker ("A Town Called Mercy"), and alien-cubes pave the way for a very slow (and confusing) invasion ("The Power of Three"). Also: Lionel makes a special cameo, a listener nearly owes Mike a new keyboard, Rule 34, there's not a lot of love for Amy Pond, and in no way do the hosts hint at their next project. Nope. Not at all. [ 1:24:55 || 41.0 MB ]

To listen, click here: http://www.earth-2.net/podcasts/biggerontheinside/episodes/bigger_134.mp3

Great episode as ever guys.

I'm in the middle of a Farscape rewatch at the minute to the mention of the show was timely. I really really wish that The Power of Three was Amy and Rory's last story. It would have made so much sense. Everything was set up for Amy and Rory to decide that they wanted to settle down and live normal lives. It would have made the Doctor a sort of Puff the Magic Dragon figure being crestfallen that they had grown up and didn't need him anymore. Instead they fall back on the tired old New Who trope of the companions being ripped from the Doctor's in an episode that ended with a lot of histrionic old bollocks.

Incidentally if you are looking for an antidote to Yu-Gi-Oh I strongly recommend Yu-Gi-Oh The Abridged Series. My old flatmate was a little obsessed with the original show so I had to endure it on a regular basis. Discovering the Abridged Series was a breath of fresh air as it lovingly mocks it and is extremely funny.

As someone who still watches Yu-gi-oh on an occasional basis, the original series looks like a fucking Monet compared to some of the later seasons. I'm just going to repeat a meme: Card Games on Motorcycles. Also, when I read the episode description and Sailor Moon briefly got mentioned, I was almost sure that was what you were going to dub the worst anime ever and was about ready to go into defensive mode. Thankfully, not necessary.

Now that your con is over Dan, when you were on the canon panel did anyone bring up Teen Titans and what was the consensus?

I love the idea of a Dalek Prime minister just because it implies elections, with candidates holding rallies and kissing gestating clone creatures. And terms in office. And political memoirs. And political wings which mean there's actually more hardcore right wing Daleks or better, left wing liberal Daleks. Love to see the hairs breadth difference between their manifestos.

Mike you're a terrible nerd and having watched every episode of Doctor Who in no way diminishes you having not watched 5-6 other comparatively tiny shows. Damn, I guess only Dan can judge you. Farscape really is worth it though, just as a show that's the opposite of Star Trek, especially Voyager.

Now that your con is over Dan, when you were on the canon panel did anyone bring up Teen Titans and what was the consensus?

:yes:

I love the idea of a Dalek Prime minister just because it implies elections, with candidates holding rallies and kissing gestating clone creatures. And terms in office. And political memoirs. And political wings which mean there's actually more hardcore right wing Daleks or better, left wing liberal Daleks. Love to see the hairs breadth difference between their manifestos.

I think it went something like this:

The conservatives said, "It's pronounced, 'EX-TER-MI-NATE! EX-TER-MI-NATE! EX-TER-MI-NATE!'"

While the liberals noted, "No! It's, 'EX-TER-MIN-ATE! EX-TER-MIN-ATE! EX-TER-MIN-ATE!'"

And that's how the Dalek Civil War began.

Mike you're a terrible nerd and having watched every episode of Doctor Who in no way diminishes you having not watched 5-6 other comparatively tiny shows. Damn, I guess only Dan can judge you. Farscape really is worth it though, just as a show that's the opposite of Star Trek, especially Voyager.

Since this recording, I've tried watching the first episode of Farscape, but it looks so cheap. And so 90s. I'll try to stick with it, but it's rough going at the moment.

Re Farscape I prefer to think of it as a Stargate-type budget show that's doing some amazing stuff. No other scifi show has ever has puppet/animatronic characters that actually work for the show like Rigel and the Pilot. Mostly though it's good for its sense of humour and willingness to explore weird stuff that no one else would touch at the time.

Besides, you just finished watching WHO and you think Farscape looks cheap? It's got Jim Henson production design, it blows away all but the last couple of seasons of Dr Who.