The first movie you were too young to see

Missy

I'm stealing this topic from an episode of Tangential Deviations: What was the first movie you knew you were too young to see?

For me, it was The Toxic Avenger. At that point, I had seen hard-R movies with sex and violence, but The Toxic Avenger, which I think I saw around age seven or eight, downright shocked me. All these years later, I see that as a good thing, because, as a creator, it gave me permission to tell whatever story I could dream up. However, even as a child, I knew I had just watched something that I was so not ready for.

This is actually a tough question; as I'm sure I've mentioned, I was very sensitive as a kid, and I tended to overthink everything I saw in movies, making me upset very easily. However, the first movie I distinctly remember being forbidden from seeing/seeing anyway/immediately regretting was the first Rocky.

Dan, what about Rocky made you uneasy? The fight, I assume?

I assume so. It's been a while. But Stallone got the shit beat out of him in that flick, and Young Dan would have spent days empathizing with him, which is why Young Dan's Parents spent an awful lot of time vetting movies before Young Dan got to see them.

Definitely saw Jaws too young, the severed head floated behind me in my mind for weeks.

I remember seeing Street Fighter (12) when I was ten, nothing scared me in that.

Two years later just weeks shy of being the right age I left the cinema for a couple of minutes during the alien strangling Brent Spiner scene of Independence Day.

However in a sudden flash I know what it was. 1991, Robin Hood Prince of Thieves. Jesus, I'd seen Indiana Jones at that point but to an eight year old the limb severing, servant-blinding, Brian Blessed-burning romp was WAY past my prior experiences.

My brother and sister got to see Austin Powers 2 at the cinema. I did not.

I wouldn't necessarily call this is a movie I was too young to see, but either way I was practically raised on this movie. I watched it all the time when I was five, six, seven.

You and I have much in common. We are sexy bitches!

My uncle took me to see Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles at the cinema when I could only have been about 5, as i was a huge fan of the cartoon. It was just fun enough for me not to be too put off by Shredder and his demise, but the cartoon, it was not.

Otherwise, I was relatively shielded from watching films outside of their certification. My imagination did for me instead with the whole video cover of horror films thing.

I saw The Exorcist when I was 8. With my cousins, at my First Communion party.

We huddled together and prayed the Rosary over and over.

My mom had me watch The Exorcist when I was six or seven. This was exceptionally odd, because just a year or so prior she tried to shield me from First Blood. That said, if I were to guess, I'd say this happened around Halloween, and, knowing my love of horror movies, Mom probably wanted to scare me a little. However, the movie impressed me more than anything else; I was absolutely fascinated with the special effects.

Since then, I've come to the conclusion that the real reason The Exorcist didn't scare me is because I'm not Catholic. I've found more Catholics who are terrified of that movie than people of other faiths.