The Flash

KnightWing

• Replies 666
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And if I go further back, I have his two episode stint on Popular where he steals every scene he's in. Every actor is allowed to have a dark spot in their career. We don't judge Meryl Streep's entire career for She-Devil or Mamma Mia.

Hang on, I'm just writing down your suggestions for Meryl Streep month on HAA!

Chris said on Facebook that this was bad, and I'll agree that the basic story and premise of Snart blackmailed to work with his dad was really dumb. Like, beneath the comics-level dumb. As far as conceits go, that's definitely up there for the worst.

The performances kept me entertained all the way through tho. Jesse L is great and Tom Cavanaugh rocks but I don't think I give enough credit to Grant Gustin. His energy and charm in the role keeps him from ever being boring, even if he's given rote material to work off of. He helped make this enjoyable for me. Jesse brought it as always, and the scene with him and Iris was very good. I'm still hoping this continues to give her more shit to do in the next episode tho, as that plotline was mostly used as a story for him over her.

Wentworth Miller was solid as usual, despite the contrived story for him in this. That scene between him and Barry at the end, when he says "Is that funny to you?" was (no pun intended) chilling. Goddamn is he fantastic.

I've got two complaints and they mostly pertain to this season so far as a recurring trend.

1: Give Jay his speed back. I don't get why they've not tried to do that, especially since Barry lost and regained his speed in season one. It's not fair that they've just accepted Jay can't regain his powers.

2: I like Team Flash but they've gotta start having Barry think his way through his problems on his own. It was too deus ex machina for Cisco to save him from getting shot by that Cold-Gun.

Overall I liked it sufficiently, but I worry that they've not thought the season through as well as they did last year. This one's feeling a bit "fly by the seat of one's pants".

With the first two episodes this season, I was disappointed; there was a sloppiness to the writing that the show was above by the end of the first season. This episode is where that sloppiness went from a side-effect of restructuring in the aftermath of season one to a problem with the show itself.  The Captain Cold storyline dealt with Snart Sr. in the most insipid way possible. He was an abusive, alcoholic piece of shit, and that's all you need. Cold even says that his father isn't a great criminal, so where the fuck did he get nanite bombs?  If you're going to bring the child abuse dimension into it, you gotta do a story that fits it, not some cartoon supervillain scheme. Cold killing his father should have been a moment that really had impact, but since we've already seen Barry kill two people this season, it's rendered meaningless.  

Then there's the two in the one-two punch of poor writing that is the episode: Iris' mother still being alive and Joe lying to Iris that she was dead all these years. Where on Earth did that come from? I'm not saying Joe should be perfect, but this is daytime soap opera to the nth degree. And then Iris is totally cool with it? What? No, bullshit. Maybe she'll flip out on Joe in the next episode, but right now this is just awful. One of the strengths of the first season was how it sped up character relationship arcs that most other shows dragged out, but this season is zipping through character beats so fast, it's hard to care about what the characters are going through. This is also borne out in the bluntness of Caitlin's interest in Jay and DCTV's latest attempt at recreating Felicity Smoak.

As always, I did enjoy the actors, from Wentworth Miller in the bar to Jesse L. Martin's "I'm out" when Patty started punning. The best acting was by Peyton List when she was describing Lisa's scars from her father. Up to this point, Lisa has been an entertaining but one note femme fatale. This was an opportunity to show a more human side to her, and Peyton List played it better than I honestly expected. But performances can only go so far. Last season, a lot was made about how the women on the show were let down, but so far this season, I think everyone is being let down.   

Yeah I can't disagree with any of that. Snart Sr. was a hideous waste of Michael Ironside, in what's probably his least dignified role I've ever seen him in. The conceit of "I've got a bomb in your head!" was so fucking bad I keep forgetting to ask how he managed to pull that off. His character was so badly written that his worst moments were all in exposition.

Biggest laugh for me though was too Joe's "Oh Hell No" when Patty came with the quips. That was awesome. So yeah, I'm not gonna disagree with a damn thing you're saying, but I do think the performances are edging it out a bit more for me. To me, the season premiere has been the least enjoyable, where it watched like second-rate Smallville with Barry's guilt and the lameness of Atom Smasher.

By far that was the best episode of the season thus far. The plots and subplots were all very tightly balanced, and the only major complaint I have is that, like last season's Firestorm episode, Flash was a supporting character in his own show. Candice Patton finally gets some meat to chew on, and though it's totally a Lana-esque subplot she did a great job, and was written very well I thought. And the ending was awesome!

If they don't give Iris something to do on the team I hope they kill her off. She is completely useless story-wise. She has no love angle with Barry anymore. Her fiance is dead. She contributes zero to the team as far as fighting metas. Her role right now is too stand around and look pretty while talking tough.

Best episode of the season so far. It's so great to have Tom Cavanagh back, especially when he's playing Earth-2 Wells differently than either version of the Earth-1 Wells. He's an arrogant prick that is going to mentor Barry with commands rather than understanding, which, in true Wells fashion, will be towards his own ends. The Caitlin/Jay storyline still feels forced, but I like the idea of Jay as a Flash who, without a support network, didn't become as fully realized a hero as he could have. Loved the scene with Joe immediately firing on Wells 2, the fight scenes with Dr. Light were good, and it's always cool to see Barry learn a new speed skill. The date with Patty was pretty stock until Patty revealed she knew Barry was blind; then it became sweet and endearing. Oh, and Cisco's "you're just a diiiiiiick" legit made me laugh. One thing that does annoy me in The Flash from time to time is that there'll be a clever beat one moment and something sloppy the next. Wells 2 kickstarting Cisco's power by recreating Wells 1 stabbing him was brilliant, but just prior to that, Dr. Light told her plan to replace Linda Park to a couple of witnesses. Those kind of bits aside, this is the episode that has felt closest to Season 1. 

Tom Cavanaugh comes back from the dead to bitch-slap the show out of it's coma, and as a result we get one of the BEST episodes of the series to date.

I LOVED this episode, from scene to scene. Everything Chris said, and more, everyone had a great moment. Joe was hardly in it, but the scene of him firing on Wells, Barry using classic Flash speed to catch the bullets and Wells just being a COCK about it precipitated the tone for the rest of the episode. I can't believe how much Cavanaugh made everything awesome, even Teddy Sears who can be a bit wooden at the best of times. This was a great use of Jay, and should lead to a pretty interesting arc for him. I quite liked Barry and Patty's date. It was straight-up hi-jinks, but in a fun and endearing way with Gustin being given a chance to be wacky and playful. It also wasn't filler, and served the story in a surprisingly effective way. I loved that they brought Linda back and the twist of her being Earth-2 Dr. Light who is a villain but neither Arthur Light nor Kimiyo Hoshi was a great twist for fans. Like Chris said, it's cool seeing Flash develop a new power, especially one that I forgot Wells did in season one. We also get introduced to Kendra/Hawkgirl whom I'm very interested in seeing more of for a variety of selfish reasons.

And I have to say, he's easily the show's biggest punching bag and deservedly so at times but this episode brought me to the point where I truly enjoy Cisco. I just about did in season one, but with the right amount of deft writing he can be brilliantly played by Carlos Valdes. He was a blast all throughout this.

I really did love everything in this episode, from the Aquaman reference to the Jay and Wells fist-fight (where Barry just stands back and lets it happen for a few seconds), to Joe giving Iris a gun which comes in handy later, to Flash's great quips in every scene he was in. This is the best episode since the season one finale and now one of my favorites of the series. IDK who the two writers are or where they came from, but they've gotta be more regular for the remainder of this season.

Edited by Donomark

The two writers have contributed quite a few good episodes before, though not together. Both parts of the Arrow-Flash crossover, Fallout, Rogue Time and Grodd Lives. One of them also cowrote the Atom episode of The Flash, but I'll try to overlook that.

Edited by Davedevil

I can understand the jokey stuff in the abstract "heightened comedy before things get serious" sense, but yeah, it got to be a bit much with the fake fight between Linda and Barry.

But Zoom though. The reveal of him before he abducts Linda, throwing Barry's lightning back at him, showing the people Flash's broken body...classic supervillain stuff. Also, there are nods to two possible identities for Zoom in here. The most obvious is when Barry talks about a darkness inside him, which could have consumed an Earth-2 Barry. However, there's also Zoom lording his victory over the Flash to Iris and the police department, which could point to Earth-1 Eddie back from the dead. 

Between his actions at the top of last week's episode and the end of this week's episode, Jesse L. Martin is (still) my new GOD.

HOLY FUCK, that was some straight BANE shit Zoom was pulling last night. He's immediately proven to be the hardest dude the show's ever seen. So glad all the "You can't stop Zoom, he'll kill you" stuff from Jay wasn't just talk, they seriously proved how up against the wall Flash is against him.

One quick thing I appreciated was Barry's initiative in fighting Zoom at the end. He tried the lightning attack unprovoked, and it was his idea to take out Zoom's speed by fighting in mid-air. The consistent drawback to the series has been Cisco and Caitlin (and Wells/Thawne) telling him how to use his powers, so it was cool to see Cisco and Caitlin play catch-up to what Barry was doing for a change. Hope to see more of that.