The Flash

KnightWing

AWESOME!

It'd be too easy to write off everything seen here as "Earth-2;Doesn't count", especially with the tag line "Everything Will Change". While most of this stuff most likely is Earth-2 based like Barry and Iris, I'm really hoping a lot of this like Killer Frost will pop up in the Earth-One world.

• Replies 666
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Oh please, it's Kevin fucking Smith. He's not some brilliant, unknown artist that just needs his big break. He's been making movies since 1994 and has a fanbase that'll stick with him until he dies. There's more than enough material by him out there for me to make a call on if I care about what he has to say in 2016.  

Well when CW's masterwork, The Flash is single handedly ruined or even noticeably marked in any way by an established writer-director who has demonstrated not only competence for the craft but also a passion for the material, you can say "I told you so."  How about that?

I don't really care about about him doing The Flash because you're right, him directing an episode probably won't have any impact at all. I was responding to the idea that people disliking a guy who's had a twenty year career to inform their opinion of him are being unnecessarily hostile. 

Kevin Smith is hit/miss for me personally. I really like Clerks, quite like Chasing Amy and *used* to enjoy his Fatman on Batman podcast. On the other hand, his exuberance towards most things is sometimes stunningly childish and I'm really not a fan of 40+ man-children. Plus his Batman comics are the worst.

I think I like him more than dislike him, and I'm unsure of his directing style being recognizable. His scripting is another issue, but if he's just gonna direct an episode I'm fine with it.

In that he's not writing the episode, I mind it less and it's clearly worked to get the show a little extra attention.

But I'd be a lot more guarded if he were writing or guest-starring. Rightly or wrongly, Smith brings a LOT of baggage with him to a project, which could potentially overshadow said project. I like him well enough, although I doubt I'll ever watch Tusk, or revisit his movies on a consistent basis.

This was a very hit or miss episode for me. I really disliked the fact that after the last episode's teaser the overwhelming majority of last night's plot was Barry's angst over telling Patty. That could've held so much weight if this season didn't have him blithely reveal his ID to Linda Park or have Cisco numbnuts-ingly blow it to Kendra. It was a serious dearth of suspense, although I'm quite thankful that all the suffering lead to her leaving Central City at the end. Because while the character has been perfectly likable, her subplot was becoming one of the worst aspects of the show for me.

In fact, it's not the fault of Patty at all, it was Barry. I get his angst over Zoom, but he was acting the most ineffectual and amateur he's ever come off in the series so far. It's hard to see the Flash of the recent Arrow crossover with the Hawks, see how relatively badass he came off in that, then go to this episode where he seriously thought inviting Patty a to trap for a villain who MAKES EVERYONE SLOWER would be a healthy idea. I mean WHAT THE FUCK?! Grant Gustin makes the guy watchable so I'm never outright hating Barry, but the way he was written in this episode really made me dislike him.

I think it's clear by this point that Jay will get his speed back sooner or later. I'm not happy with how his character's been done, but at least when he is given attention they're hinting towards a return to glory.

Dave's totally right, the Fast and Furious scene with Wally was directly from Fan4stic. At first I thought they were going straight new 52 with Wally where he's apparently a juvie kid or something (?), but it worked out okay. I wasn't crazy about his stock resentment over Joe, but Keiynan Lonsdale put in a very solid performance. His anger was strong but subdued, and I despite it all I'm liking him as a character.

Tom Cavanaugh kind of saved this one for me. As did the end of episode teaser. I think it was a good episode overall, but I was hating the Barry/Patty plot. It just wasn't written well at all on the part of Barry.