The Flash

KnightWing

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 666
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This'll be my last season. The premiere to season four wasn't without its fun and charm, but when push comes to shove they've just given up on gripping storytelling wholesale for the sake of the status quo. It's the fourth season and I still really don't give a shit about Caitlin Snow beyond what Danielle Panabaker brings to the role, which often isn't much. And Cisco's back in full-on deus ex scientist mode, I'm beginning to think the Flash would've been a stronger series if those two weren't there to begin with. They aren't even Flash characters, and the West family is much more engaging than the season one cast's hi-jinks.

1 hour ago, Koete said:

During the season premiere, Caitlin says, supposedly threateningly, "don't make me frosty; you wouldn't like me when I'm frosty."

I think we can call time of death. 

The death of a character or the death of a series? Ice puns have been known to kill previous DC adaptations.

• 4 weeks later...
Spoiler

After a bunch of better than average episodes, it's good to be reminded that this show can find new ways to drop the ball. The Caitlyn side of the episode was good but the Barry side was blah. My main complaint came down to that cliffhanger. There are about a million holes in Devoe's entire plan to frame Barry. 1) Barry has no blood splatter on himself. 2) The guy was in a wheelchair. It's nowhere to be seen. So, did Barry lift the guy through the apartment building to his apartment to kill him? 3) An apartment that nice has cameras in the lobby. A good lawyer would subpoena for them right away. 4) Iris can testify they only received one knife as a gift. True, it might look like hearsay but it casts doubt. 5) There are no witnesses to the murder. The CCPD have no probably cause to arrest Barry outside of the restraining order and even then, why would Barry have set off his own alarm for the apartment. There's more than enough there to argue that the body was planted there.

So, yeah, an average episode that was brought lower by a plot twist that could be solved by watching a rerun of Law and Order.

I don't know how much more I can take of this show. Why is Iris the leader of Team Flash? Because they don't know what else to do with her? Barry couldn't phase through the field, until he could. Hey, actor getting probably the biggest role of your career, fuck you, we replaced you with a young handsome black guy halfway through your season. Dibney is the best reason to watch the show now and he barely does anything. 

• 3 months later...

Saw a lot of hype around the most recent episode, "Enter Flashtime," and damn that was good! It made me want to jump back in.

Question about something Jay said at the end:

Spoiler

He mentioned mentoring a new Flash on Earth-3, a female speedster. Who could this be? XS maybe?

• 4 months later...
On 12/6/2017 at 4:38 PM, dc20willsave said:
  Hide contents

After a bunch of better than average episodes, it's good to be reminded that this show can find new ways to drop the ball. The Caitlyn side of the episode was good but the Barry side was blah. My main complaint came down to that cliffhanger. There are about a million holes in Devoe's entire plan to frame Barry. 1) Barry has no blood splatter on himself. 2) The guy was in a wheelchair. It's nowhere to be seen. So, did Barry lift the guy through the apartment building to his apartment to kill him? 3) An apartment that nice has cameras in the lobby. A good lawyer would subpoena for them right away. 4) Iris can testify they only received one knife as a gift. True, it might look like hearsay but it casts doubt. 5) There are no witnesses to the murder. The CCPD have no probably cause to arrest Barry outside of the restraining order and even then, why would Barry have set off his own alarm for the apartment. There's more than enough there to argue that the body was planted there.

So, yeah, an average episode that was brought lower by a plot twist that could be solved by watching a rerun of Law and Order.

I'm playing catch-up and just finished this episode. I actually preferred the Flash scenes to the Caitlin stuff. I just don't buy a single scene of the characters propping up Caitlin, as she feels like a character constantly needing to be validated rather than the show actively doing it by things she does. WTF does the villain need to give her a pep talk? It's ridiculous.

But one thing I can say of the series is that Barry's growth as a hero has been gradual and fulfilling. For so long he needed the help of his cast to get him out of situations. This time he escaped in true Flash fashion, and that was pretty awesome. I was hoping that when he was falling he'd learn to whirlwind himself above the ground like Wally West did in JLU, but otherwise him going invisible was awesome. As for the cliffhanger, every point @dc20willsave made is correct, but I'm still gonna watch to see how things turn out.

• 2 weeks later...

Generally this season is a downgrade from even season 3, but "Enter Flashtime" is by far and away the best so far, and I can't imagine it not being the best of the year.

-Terrific acting from all the regulars, but specifically Grant Gustin, who's at his best when he plays desperate. The big scene between him and Iris (Candace Patton) was wonderful.

-The plot is an A-1 Flash plot. No CW drama, no lameass Thinker scheme of the week. It's an awesome conflict and the obstacles it takes to reach the conclusion were very good.

-Tom Cavanaugh plays more of the season 2 Harry who's frustrated and pissy when dealing with Jesse, which the season has been building up from the beginning.

-From the first shot, the direction is way better than the show on average has been in a long time.

This felt like season 1 to me, and I'm calling it the best episode this show has done in years.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I haven't watched the show since the CW Arroverse did Crisis, but here, now, at the end, it is nice to see Gustin make it to finishing things on his terms, and also that he seems to truly have enjoyed it.

Many times with the CW actors, you get the sense that they grow to absolutely loathe the show they're on (it can't even be called an "open secret" that the Riverdale leads have been sick and tired of being on their stupid show for at least 3 or 4 years now). Tom Welling these days is learning to appreciate his time on Smallville through his podcast with Michael Rosembaum, and I think Stephen Amell generally left Arrow having enjoyed it, although he literally said he stayed on one season too long because they paid him in gold. But Grant Gustin says he'd be happy to be The Flash again in anything and is happy to always be associated with him, even still loving wearing the suit. That's rare in these kinds of actors, but knowing what a lifelong Superman fan he is, I believe it.