Land of the Dead

This is an interesting take on the zombie genre. The zombie/human war is over and the zombies have won. The movie is about one of many cities the humans have secured and walled off to protect themselves. The city, Fiddler's Green, is mostly surrounded by a river. An electrified fence around the rest of the city keeps the zombies at bay.

What is interesting is that the zombies, rather than being mindless killing machines, are starting to develop some primitive skills. They can communicate and are learning to use tools. Some of them even learn to fire guns. (This will be familiar to those who have seen George Romero's Day of the Dead)

The city becomes a trap when the zombies figure out how they can cross the river. They jump in and walk across the bottom into the city. Now the security features designed to keep zombies out have trapped the humans in, and it is not pretty.

The main villains, once again, are not the undead, but evil humans. Instead of banding together for the common good against an enemy that threatens to wipe out humanity, selfish, greedy elitists exploit those less fortunate while they live in luxury.

Romero's fourth film evolves the series well. Now that zombies (who feel no pain and can only be killed by a massive head injury) are starting to gain some intelligence, what hope is there for a devastated world ruled by the undead? Or does zombie intelligence lead to the possibility that the living and the undead may coexist? The door is open for more sequels, as the humans try to rebuild a shattered world.

Final grade: B+

:yes:

I saw it the day of its release, and meant to write a review... but oh well. Hopefully I'll be able to post one next week.

That said, I truly enjoyed LotD and actually felt sorry for the zombies on more than one occasion, which is more than I can say for most of the humans.