Episode 137

RSS

The Ice Warriors return, on a sinking submarine, and it's up to The Doctor to negotiate a peace between a lone Martian and scared Russian soldiers ("Cold War"). Then, The Doctor and Clara find themselves inside a haunted house ("Hide"). Also, there's more background noise (pardon that), and the guys discuss what it was like living through the Cold War (because they're old). [ 1:32:10 || 44.5 MB ]

To listen, click here: http://www.earth-2.net/podcasts/biggerontheinside/episodes/bigger_137.mp3

Re the emails.

The more I thought about it the more I think Pond makes sense. From Clara's perspective the Doctor is intrigued and provoked to action chiefly by mystery. Someone seeking him so actively and then providing a clue, or even half a clue is as likely to bring his attention as anything. Plus a pond in itself has potential, it's reflective, common, natural but also man made and certainly has potential for hidden depths. It's fortuitous that the word has meaning to him but in many ways you could see it as destiny at that point. The original word is certainly better bought out than Danger or Snowmen or anything obvious.

Re the Doctor using the promises of time and space to pick up chicks I'm suddenly wondering if Douglas Adams was spoofing Who with Zaphod Beeblebrox and his ship the Heart of Gold. Zaphod, former galactic president (just as the Doctor was president of the time lords) with two heads (two hearts) riding around the galaxy in his unpredictable ship that only takes him where he needs to go, has multiple interior desktop settings and is shaped like an innocuous earth object, in this case a shoe. He stops off on earth, picks up a girl and goes travelling for a bit.

And of course he real hero is the guy she left behind who later joins them, making Rory none other than Arthur Dent.

Re the Doctor using the promises of time and space to pick up chicks I'm suddenly wondering if Douglas Adams was spoofing Who with Zaphod Beeblebrox and his ship the Heart of Gold. Zaphod, former galactic president (just as the Doctor was president of the time lords) with two heads (two hearts) riding around the galaxy in his unpredictable ship that only takes him where he needs to go, has multiple interior desktop settings and is shaped like an innocuous earth object, in this case a shoe. He stops off on earth, picks up a girl and goes travelling for a bit.

He was. Per Adams, Ford Prefect was explicitly conceived as a takeoff on the Doctor, an alien with a weird alias, where the joke was that he was entirely uninterested in doing anything heroic or noble and tended to get overshadowed by his companion (i.e., Arthur). When Zaphod came along a couple of episodes into the show (which was written with no plan ahead of time and was entirely made up as Adams went along; he would write episode 3 with no idea what would happen in episode 4), he took up a lot of that same role.