Mr. Fantastic v The Thing

Missy

Who wins...?  

8 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Mr. Fantastic: Reed Richards is quite possibly the smartest man alive, and, given time, can invent just about any weapon / device to hold his foes at bay. When time is not on his side, however, Richards' superhuman stretching ability can save his hide in a pinch. While it might appear silly and useless on the surface, his malleable body can deflect / absorb bullets, missiles and even the strongest punches thrown by brawlers such as The Thing and even The Hulk. His gift is not limitless and does have its weaknesses — such as, he can only stretch so far and a solid blast / punch to the face can cause Dr. Richards to lose his concentration (and therefore shape).

A secondary power that is mostly forgotten is Reed's ability to change shape. While he can alter his physical form to compress himself into a dense ball for demolishing walls and rolling over enemies, Richards can also morph his appearance so as to impersonate just about anyone.

The Thing: Of all the members of the Fantastic Four, Ben has suffered the most — at least when it comes to his powers. Once a lady's man, Grimm often hides his brick-like face underneath fedoras and helmets, and shuns the world for fear of being shunned himself. And despite his rocky exterior, Ben is actually a very sweet, sensitive man that cares deeply for his friends and family. That, however, does not mean he'll refrain from using his vast strength to bash someone's face in or knock a building on top of their head.

Stretcho wraps himself around the ever loving blue eyed Thing's mouth and nose, cutting off Grimm's oxygen until he passes out. Game over.

What's to stop Ben from pounding on Reed as hard as he can? Mr. Fantastic can absorb some punishment, but, as the bio says, there is a limit to what he can withstand. As for The Thing punching his own face to get Reed off, well, I highly doubt Ben would seriously injure himself. After all, he's traded blows with the Hulk.

If F4 was written as a more "Adult" comic (like say, X-Men or the Ultimates) I definitely think the writers would play with the resentment Grimm has for Richards, if he can't blame him for getting transformed into the Thing, Richards can certainly be blamed for his failed attempts to transform the Thing back into a human.

I mean to say, Grimm has to bear at least a small sense of resentment for Richard's seemingly torturous half-transformations or temporary solutions. I really think Reed is the one person Grimm wouldn't hold back on. I don't think he'd hit Susan and Johnny's like a little brother, but Reed? I honestly think he'd try to dent him.

And really, I think he'd be successful. After fighting the Hulk or Juggernaut or whichever musclebound villains the F4 have fought (and there's gotta be at least a couple) he's got to have developed some precision. That precision would let him smoke Richards square in the jaw.

Also consider that Ben used to have very deep feelings for Sue. Though he's supposedly over her, there might be a small part of him that's jealous of Reed for having a happy marriage with a beautiful woman.

I'm liking the Thing. Basically, I can't think of a way that Mr. Fantastic can drop Ben. I think Ben's brute strength is going to be able to carry him through any efforts to tie him up or beat him down, and eventually, Ben's gonna catch Reed with a shot that knocks him out. Reed dominates the early rounds, but if Ben hits Reed square ONCE it's over. I've got enough faith in the Thing's ability to take a beating to say that he's gonna have enough time to throw a lucky punch.

That pretty much sums up my thoughts right there. Ben is a fighter, while Reed isn't. That's not meant to take anything away from Richards or his powers; it's just that Ben has been in some pretty wild brawls with the Hulk... and was able to walk away afterwards!