• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I liked it a lot. Very fun. Benoist is hugely appealing and the show has a good sense of humor.

Having watched it again, I was a little taken aback by how clunky the script was. I still think it was fun, and it has tons of potential, but even for a pilot that was kind of rough.

So I quite liked it. Dan's right, the script is mega-clunky, but Benoist gave such an irresistible performance that she managed to salvage the weak writing. The fight scene effects I thought were very impressive, save for the last fight at the end.

I honestly find it funny that Jimmy has been cast and is being played so against type. Beyond the race thing, going from a nerdy short ginger guy to a hunky bald, black underwear model I find absolutely hilarious.

I'm not digging the guy who works at her job. For one thing I don't know why he needs to be there, but additionally

He can just "hack into the NCPD" like it's no problem? Is everyone Chole Sulivan now? And where the hell did he get a special polymer cape?

I wasn't big on it. They blew through way too much in the pilot. We meet this nerd trying to pick up Kara and then next we see him, we find out she trusts him enough to reveal her secret to him? Here's Kara's sister and guess what? She's part of a top secret anti-alien agency headed by bootleg Keith David. Oh, and there's a plan by Phantom Zone criminals to take over the world.  Just not a lot of thought into structure, plus the dialogue was pretty cliche and blunt. Melissa Benoist is overflowing with personality and the plane save still looks good, but they'd better hit the ground running with so much ground covered.

They'd better write out that nerd too.

I enjoyed that more than the Flash pilot, but this could be me knowing what to expect. It took The Flash a little while to really get good, and I have some confidence that Supergirl could surpass that a bit sooner. 

Melissa Benoist is on par with Grant Gustin as far as being watchable. In fact I think she's a little bit more natural than Gustin acting-wise. Except for the narration. Man, that needed some work.

Edited by Davedevil

Writing was generally better than the pilot. I have to say I love the status quo for this series. Superman, his role in Metropolis, and apparently his super villains are all well established and Kara's trying to stem comparisons to him. It's only a matter of time until they cast Superman for the show. I also like Jimmy a lot.

Apparently by this point he knows Clark's secret identity?

• 2 weeks later...

The Flash: builds in a time jump so that you don't have to worry about the learning curve for the supervillain of the week to learn to use their powers.

Supergirl: eh, fuck it. 

Kidding aside, the scene between Kara and Cat was great; Callista Flockhart is neck and neck with Melissa Benoist for why I'm watching this show. 

Edited by Koete

Playing catch-up and just finished the third episode. I'm officially liking this show, and although it's nowhere near Flash levels yet it's a bajillion times more competently written than Gotham, which admittedly isn't hard. 

I'm really liking Jimmy. Solid actor and good role for the series. Still kill that nerd guy tho