Supergirl

JackFetch

I don't have much to say about "Myriad" aside from still really liking Laura Vandervoot as a supervillian and thinking she's the best of the show so far. It was straightforward and the character interaction was nice in that it was leagues better than LoT. The Harrison Ford reference was cute.

I honestly thought the way they "got rid" of Superman this time 'round was absolutely hilarious. I liked that they acknowledged he had to have bee called upon to help, and having the actors go all "Look! There he is! Wait, why is he ceasing to come towards us and landing in the city?" That cracked me up.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The ending with Siobhan was weird. When Cat says "I turned to someone who's been obsessively observing Kara for the past two years" and the camera reveals Wynn, my instinct reaction was to say out loud "Ewww!" And who the hell can track typing speed on a hard drive? Is that even a thing?

Yep, this actually happened. Creepy as hell. 

So the finale has aired and the first season of Supergirl has ended. Overall as a finale it felt more than an average episode of Supergirl than a big season finale. I feel as though the threat, while effective, didn't go beyond threats she's come up against in the past. It could've been better directed to make the whole thing feel more dire, more hopeless. It's not a fault with the script or the actors, but in terms of show presentation I wasn't feeling anything new.

Not to say it was bad, it was quite good. I kept comparing it to the Flash season 1 finale which ran circles over this one, which isn't fair. I just feel like they should've pushed the intensity a bit more. MM ripping Laura Vandervoot in half was awesome tho.

I think the finale encapsulates my feelings on the show/season overall in that it was enjoyable. I enjoyed it like I enjoyed watching this series. It never rose to the ranks of the Flash, but after the first few episodes I reached a point with the series where it was a pleasant viewing experience. I liked the characters, the acting was 75% top notch, and the action - while not shot the best (Melissa Benoist could never seem to throw a normal punch, she kept tossing out these straight armed haymakers which looked weak. Plus the flying - fighting wire effects were always bad) always felt like they were working within the realm of the characters. I never felt the fighting copped out because of the limits of a tv show, which was good.

Postscript:

I think my biggest problem of the show overall, right up to and including the finale, is the character of Alex. I don't know how much of it is a weakness of acting by Chyler Leigh or a weakness of writing, but I never feel that her relationship to Kara is as impactful to me the viewer as the show wants it to be. Not to keep comparing to the Flash but the relationship between Joe and Barry is almost effortless. It's logical in the confines of the program that it's that strong, but it's depicted in being incredibly strong by the material they give to the actors to work with to demonstrate it, and Gustin and Martin take that material and run with it. With Alex and Kara, I definitely know that they share a strong bond, but...IDK, it's just not that affecting to me. I feel they're going for a "Frozen-esque" vibe where their love is at the crux of the entire story, but her inclusion almost ruins stories wholesale. That deus ex machina of her flying into space with the kryptonian ship was laughable for several reasons, but the main problem for me is that it didn't feel like a big moment or an emotional moment. It came off as EXTREMELY silly and a way for the show to write itself out of a problem.

It's unfortunate. Wynn at the beginning was by far my most detested character, but he grew on me ever since the Toyman episode. I have to owe that to the development the writers gave him and that the actor is perfectly capable of showing off his range and making the character three dimensional. Alex is pretty two-dimensional in presentation and acting (although she can cry pretty effectively), so maybe that's my main hangup with her.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

He wouldn't do it. He's distanced himself from the spotlight for the past few years and even during the show he was a pretty reclusive guy who never went to conventions. I'll never forgive him for refusing to wear the costume in the series finale of Smallville.

He was very open and very up front about never, under any circumstances, wanting to wear the suit. He gave a lot of bullshit reasons about it being cursed or whatever (everyone else who'd ever worn it either died tragically or turned into Dean Cain) but he didn't want to be seen in it.

He was very open and very up front about never, under any circumstances, wanting to wear the suit. He gave a lot of bullshit reasons about it being cursed or whatever (everyone else who'd ever worn it either died tragically or turned into Dean Cain) but he didn't want to be seen in it.

Post of the Day! :bowdown:

The lengths they went to in that last episode to have Superman in the show without showing Welling in the costume were almost funny. You had tiny CGI Superman with Welling's face Photoshopped onto it, and EXTREME~! close-ups of Welling's face in flight with the suit out of camera. At least they got him to do the shirt opening.

wellingsuperman.jpg

The lengths they went to in that last episode to have Superman in the show without showing Welling in the costume were almost funny. You had tiny CGI Superman with Welling's face Photoshopped onto it, and EXTREME~! close-ups of Welling's face in flight with the suit out of camera. At least they got him to do the shirt opening.

wellingsuperman.jpg

Yeah OMG, that was so annoying. Moreso than the Pre-Crisis bullshit of him pushing all of Apokolips out of orbit to keep it from crashing into Earth, Luthor losing his memory of the entire series, the heinous ways they messed up the Fourth World characters (Green Arrow one-shots them all to death) or the unexplained reason why Pa Kent was visibly present as a friendly ghost, Welling's anti-costume shenanigans were the stupidest parts of the series finale.

On one hand, I respect the chutzpah of being on a Superman show and refusing to wear the costume. On the other hand, it's a Superman show, wear the damn costume.

Trust me, you sit through seasons of shit like this and that respect would evaporate.

God, Smallville sucked. I know you gotta throw an asterisk on there because Rosenbaum and Glover did the Lord's work, but goddamn.

My Thursday night ritual for years was pizza and Smallville, but that was largely on the basis of reveling in the cheese. (On both counts!) Eventually the show got so bad that I couldn't take it any more, and a lot of that was on the shoulders of Welling, who even on the extremely generous bell curve of "leading actors on CW series", was a terrible, wooden lead who never for one minute looked like he wanted to be on his own show.

(Actually, come to think of it, the list of live-action Superman portrayers is not a terribly impressive one. Christopher Reeve was a very talented, classically-trained Julliard graduate, but otherwise... yikes. George Reeves got by on personality, and Brandon Routh turned out to be fairly charming himself even if his movie didn't really let him showcase that, but the rest (Alyn, Cain, Welling, the two Superboys if you want to count them) were varying degrees of awful.

(Disclaimer: I have yet to see BvS, but Henry Cavill made virtually zero impression on me in Man of Steel, so I don't have much of an opinion on him.)

Quick non-sequitur, if I may: When I went to see Civil War, I saw a trailer for some CW-looking show that had Billy Zane in it, playing some shady smug guy. Between that and seeing The Phantom recently, I'm now convinced that he'd be an awesome live-action Lex Luthor. It's not gonna happen, of course, but a man can dream.

Smallville went from an interesting and (at the time) fresh spin on an/the iconic superhero origin story (first four seasons) to the most blatant case of creator favoritism ever when it became the Lana Lang Show, to getting back to being about Clark becoming a hero and introducing a glut of DC characters (The JSA, Legion of Super Heroes, Hawkman, the "Justice League", Zatanna, Booster Gold and Blue Beetle). But the presentation was always hit or miss. Fuck that black trenchcoat costume, although the jacket suit was interesting.

My Thursday night ritual for years was pizza and Smallville, but that was largely on the basis of reveling in the cheese. (On both counts!) Eventually the show got so bad that I couldn't take it any more, and a lot of that was on the shoulders of Welling, who even on the extremely generous bell curve of "leading actors on CW series", was a terrible, wooden lead who never for one minute looked like he wanted to be on his own show.

(Actually, come to think of it, the list of live-action Superman portrayers is not a terribly impressive one. Christopher Reeve was a very talented, classically-trained Julliard graduate, but otherwise... yikes. George Reeves got by on personality, and Brandon Routh turned out to be fairly charming himself even if his movie didn't really let him showcase that, but the rest (Alyn, Cain, Welling, the two Superboys if you want to count them) were varying degrees of awful.

(Disclaimer: I have yet to see BvS, but Henry Cavill made virtually zero impression on me in Man of Steel, so I don't have much of an opinion on him.)

It wasn't until after the show where I pondered on it, but Tom Welling really was a weak-ass lead. He had his moments, like whenever Red Kryptonite made him a dick, but for the most part he was terrible and uninterested in not being terrible. I will give him the episode where Clark meets his future self. Welling did sell the "classic" Clark Kent as Superman persona very well. So maybe he wasn't terrible exactly.

But Michael Rosembaum, John Glover, the Kents and I'll even say Erica Durance were the best parts of the show. Durance's Lois is actually my favorite live-action performance of the character. Allison Mack's Chole was great but served as the progenitor for the Felicity/Cisco/Wynn archetype which I currently decry.