Films that make you gush

Pan-dub

Yes! A title with class.

As discussed on HAA #10 we bloody love 'Sister Act 2: Back in the Habit'. Whether it is objectively a good film or not I have no idea because I'm blinded by love for it and all that it reminds me of. It's got me thinking:

What films do you love to the point of blindness to criticism?

I'm not talking films that people love because they are rubbish (see 'The Room'), I'm interested in films you adore and simply will not hear or accept any negativity about, regardless of perceived quality. 'Wild Wild West' to 'Showgirls' - I want to know.

For some reason, Rudyard Kipling's The Jungle Book. And funnily enough, this actually wasn't a film I grew up with, but one I re-discovered about fifteen years after first seeing it as kid.

I love Walt Disneys version of the Jungle Book. I love how sadistic yet refined Shehr Khan is. I live how Baghira and Baloo are possible Kipling and Disney allegories, the satire on imperialism. Finally I like how Disney pre-empted and reversed the White Fang cliche. Rather than a man sadly sending a tame animal into the wild the animals are tearfully sending a wild child into civilization. I have interpreted the ending as a retelling of the fall of Adam and Eve, or the loss of innocence with leaving nature or childhood ending and growing up. Either way I love it

other movies include

Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind

Castle in the Sky

My Neighbor Totoro

Kiki's Deliver Service

Porco Rosso

Princess Mononoke

Spirited Away

Howls moving Castle

Ponyo

Whisper of the Heart

Beauty and the Beast