Every comic you've read in 2015

Missy

Nice. Evolutionary War is one of the omnibi I have that I haven't read yet. I read a couple of the annuals (part of the problem with that shit is that it was near impossible to find every part of those crossovers) but not the whole thing.

Same here. I had a couple of these issues back in the day, and maybe half of Atlantis Attacks the following summer, which was almost but not quite enough to piece the whole story together. It was a good idea and definitely laid the groundwork for how crossover events work today, but at the time we were still dependent on newsstand distribution, and maybe your corner store would have The New Mutants Annual that summer and maybe they wouldn't.

• Replies 686
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I had the Spider-Man parts of the Evolutionary War and Atlantis Attacks crossovers. I remember going thru so many quarter boxes looking for the other parts. Easy enough to find, but do I really want Silver Surfer Annual #1 or Marvel Team-Up #139 where Spider-Man and Nick Fury are fighting a robot.

And why is Alf Annual #1 part of Evolutionary War? How were there 50 issues of Alf? Why is there an issue of Alf that was pulled from stands? Why am I looking up Alf comics?

Chimera Brigade vol 3: another insane instalment of pulpy wartime goodness.

The Spire #1: Ugh...no thanks. So self-aware and snarky. Fuck I'm beginning to hate new comics...

Tomorrows #1: THIS. Finally, a great new sci fi book. It doesn't rewrite the book, but the idea is cool and it will probably catch. The art is amazing.

Uber #26: I can imagine that reading this series all in one go would be the most profound epic novel of alternate history ever written. Badass.

Ultimate End #2,3: Good, but they're going to play off Miles Morales as the big hero in issue four when he doesn't even appear in the two middle issues of the series? Weird. Anyway, this is the most I've liked of Bendis and Bagley in ages.

We Stand on Guard #1: Not as good as I'd hoped. I'll give it another issue.

Will Eisner's The Spirit #1: this is the new Dynamite series and it's awful. All of the terrible story turns of the original and none of the artistic innovation. Skip it.

X-Tinction Agenda #2: This story is awful Meandering and senseless. Like most of the other SW tie-ins I've dropped. The art is so fucking beautiful though. Not enough to keep reading unfortunately.

Comics: 840

Graphic Novels: 35

Trade Paperbacks: 79

Omnibus: 5

Also re: the Spire: really Des??)

Yup. Tiring.

Ant-Man Annual #1: I guess this ends Marvel's second best book. Sad to see it go. Refreshing and daring. Funny too.

Armor Wars #3: This one's really slowed down for me even though the plot has amped up. Weird.

Book of Death #1: Holy shit. This is dense. Not as good as the first issue of The Valiant, but I'm excited to see where it goes.

Captain Britain and the Mighty Defenders #1: Wow. Alan Davis on art for this one. That's nice to see. Awesome to see Faiza Hussain too. Missed her. Weird thing is is that this whole world seems like it's based on a What If The Other Guy in the Cave survived instead of Tony Stark? premise which is kind of lame.

Dark Horse Presents #12: Kill All Monsters has a badass new story (in color!) in this one which got me to read it. Awesome.

Dead Drop #3: So far the best issue of the bunch, but that doesn't say too much about it. This was a lot of fun though it has completely failed to live up to its premise.

Death Head #1: Interesting new horror comic.

Godzilla In Hell #1: Holy fuck this is beautiful. Completely silent and horrifically drawn. Amazing.

Guardians of Knowhere #1: it takes a long time to set the premise of the story up, but I kind of liked it.

Hail Hydra #1: I have no idea who Ian Rogers is, but this was also kind of fun.

Island #1: Oh fuck...how did this ever get published? The good stuff might be in the back, but this is the size of a small TPB and there is literally NOTHING worth reading in the first half. I would have been ashamed to publish this.

Justice League #42: I stand by the belief that you absolutely don't need to redesign Kirby's New Gods in any way, but I still really like this. Since the New 52 has begun, they've only really hinted at the Fourth World (Darkseid against the JL and Orion in Wonder Woman). It's nice to see them finally be delved into completely.

King-The Phantom #4: Pretty good. The flashback stuff is way funner than the modern day stuff.

Mad Max Fury Road- Max #1: This was pretty great, actually. Four double page spreads tell the story of society's downfall and the prior three movies in the series before getting to the main story. Easily the best of these prequel ones. Looking forward to the next issue.

Mercury Heat #1: Hmm...nope. Don't really like it. Gillen's killing it on Uber right now so I'll give this another issue.

Planet Hulk #3: So fun. So homoerotic. I want a Devil Dinosaur.

Robin Son of Batman #2: Wow, this is fun. Continues to be the best Damian story.

Secret Identities #6: still fucking great. It "concludes" next issue, so I'm not sure if that's the first arc or the series. I will be sad if it goes away.

Secret Wars Battleworlds #3: a real turd.

Siege #1: I wanted this to be a lot better than it was.

The Mantle #3: Okay, I'm officially not reading any more of this series.

The Maxx Maxximized #21: This is the issue written by Alan Moore and someone forgot to tell him that it's best not to have 1000 words per page of a comic book.. This was fucking awful.

Years of Future Past #2,3: I really enjoyed issue 2 and really didn't enjoy issue 3. Weird.

Comics: 864

THE ASTONISHING ANT-MAN #1
Nick Spencer (w) • Ramon Rosanas (a)
Cover by MARK BROOKS
HIP-HOP VARIANT BY MARK BROOKS
COSPLAY VARIANT COVER ALSO AVAILABLE
YOUNG VARIANT BY SKOTTIE YOUNG
KIRBY MONSTER VARIANT COVER BY TRADD MOORE
VARIANT COVER BY MIKE ALLRED
BLANK VARIANT ALSO AVAILABLE
Scott Lang was a down-on-his-luck, divorced ex-con -- until he stole renowned scientist and super hero Hank Pym’s size-altering technology in the hopes of saving his daughter’s life. Through that act of doing wrong for the right reasons, Scott inadvertently learned how to be a hero himself. With Pym’s blessing and his daughter Cassie at his side, he became... The Astonishing Ant-Man! But when a curveball upends Scott’s life, will he continue to be a hero, or will he return to his former life of crime?
32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99

Also re: the Spire: really Des??)

Yup. Tiring.

Island #1: Oh fuck...how did this ever get published? The good stuff might be in the back, but this is the size of a small TPB and there is literally NOTHING worth reading in the first half. I would have been ashamed to publish this.

I reiterate that we need to spend some time drunkenly but affectionately yelling at each other about comics.

See, I hated the cat mummy feature that made up the back half of Island, and was way more interested in Emma Rios' thing (I can take or leave the Multiple Warheads continuation).

CK44mZBWcAARF_m.jpg

Here we go, yo. Read from about Wednesday to Sunday, with a few not pictured here.

Wolf #1: Got this as a review copy a while back, can finally say something about it now that the review embargo is lifted. Taylor does a great job with this on the art. Oversized first issue. Here's the problem. It's overstuffed to all hell with storylines and it kind of feels like Kot is throwing shit at a wall and seeing what will stick. There's some real potential here, and it's clearly trying to be the new Hellblazer. The problem is Kot has pretty much come out and said issue 2 is gonna be all about periods, and the only female character so far that could apply to is a twelve year old girl, which, bro, I get that you're trying to prove your superfeminist card, but please do not.

Archie v Predator 4: I fucking love that this series is actually way more about Betty and Veronica than it is Archie. DeCampi perfectly sticks the landing here.

Loki: Agent of Asgard 16: For fuck's sake, why the hell didn't they just let Ewing off the hook sooner? Since about issue 10, this series has fucking sung. Also, all credit to Lee Garbit for giving us Freyja on horseback with sunglasses. Great penultimate issue, and can't wait to see how this wraps up.

Marvel Zombies 2: Si Spurrier does zombie Modok, more awesome Elsa, and some real fun zombie cameos. Just a fun read.

Captain America and the Mighty Avengers 9: Ewing does a hell of a wrapup issue focusing on the Mighty Avengers during the final incursion of Secret Wars 1.

The Nikopol Trilogy: Bilal's head trip of a masterpiece. Features Egyptian gods, a criminal awakened from suspended animation, overthrow of dictators, playing hockey for resources, random cherubs, and pretty much the crack that Bilal is well known for, absolutely gorgeous and brutal. You will probably not find this via... entirely legal means as the cheapest I've seen a used copy going for is $99.

Frankenstein Alive, Alive! #3: Best summed up as Steve Niles' Frankenstein fanfic with fucking amazingly detailed illustrations by Bernie Washington. Not that much of an idea of what's going on because it's the last issue, and half of it is taken up with an excerpt from the novel, but hey, if nothing else, it's real fucking pretty.

The Man with the Getaway Face: Darwyn Cooke adapts the Richard Stark crime novel. Real pretty and period accurate, as is anything done by Cooke in this genre. Great quick read.

Dark Knight, Dark City: Peter Milligan, with Kieron Dwyer on art, does a interlude story about Batman, Gotham's weird ass occult past, and the darkest interpretation of the Riddler that I've seen to date. Hell of a story, introduces more supernatural elements to the Bat mythos. Worth a read if you find it. (Specific floppy I had collected Batman 452 to 454 and Detective Comics 653, a random backup story by Milligan and Tom Mandrake about Batman seemingly losing his mind and revealing his identity to the Synaptic Kid, but lolnope Batman's brain.)

Hellboy Library Vols 2 to 5: First time actually sitting down and reading through the entirety of the Hellboy mythos. Or at least as close as I could get with what my friend has, lol. It's neat seeing the shift from Mignola on art to Fegredo, and the random arcs with Richard Corbin and occasionally some upstart kid named P Craig Russel are amazing to see in vol 4. Vols 5 and 3 are probably my favorite of the lot.

Ghost Rider omnibus: Specifically collects the '09 Jason Aaron run, aka the one where we get the twist about the Riders actually being agents of Heaven, and a whole shitton of historical Riders (including such awesome ones as a four armed Kali esque figure riding an elephant and Knuckles o'Shaughnessy). Lots of gun nuns and evil nurses, a random appearance by Damien Hellstrom and an antichrist unsubtlely named A Satan. Lots of cheesecake, as you might expect with gun nuns, nurses, and a girl raised in a convent. Tan Eng Huat, Richard Boschi, and Tony Moore are the primary artists on this run, and Boschi gets some of the most awesome bits (primarily splashes and flashbacks involving the Historical Riders). Fun run if you can find it for cheap, though.

Shamanism: Baranko does an alternate history, time unwriting/unravelling, trippy as fuck love story using various American Indian tribes. There's at least an attempt at accurate representation of the Indians, which isn't exactly fantastic at times, but it's better than a lot of the representation we get.

Madwoman of the Sacred Heart: Jodorowsky and Moebius team up for a trippy as fuck, comedic misadventure of a philosophy professor and the crazy ass shit he gets wrapped up in when his wife leaves him and he sleeps with one of his students. Goes from a French university all the way to a Latin American revolution with a hermaphroditic Christ figure and the rebirth of the middle aged man into a hot young man and oh also the son he gets on the student might also be a saint. Like ya do. Moebius does some neat stuff with the prof's appearance when he's clearly being an ass and when he's open to new stuff - see if you can catch it.

Monsters! And Other Stories: Collection of Gustavo Duarte's comics, which are entirely wordless, and you can still follow the thread of the narrative through three short stories. My favorite one is the last one, with the old man, his Crowley, and some kaiju.

Xombi: the Irving/Rozum run. Real fun, neat mythos, got scrapped after six issues so this is all we got. Had some real potential, but it just didn't happen.

Scalped: Rez Blues: Read the first three/four issues in this trade (the story about the old couple and Shunka); probably going to tackle the rest at some point. Liked what I was seeing.

Lumberjanes vol 1: Yes I have somehow not read this until now, shush. Pretty fucking adorable take on the idea of Girl Scout camp plus cryptids and a massive unfolding mystery. It's something I'll probably follow on the trade.

More catchup to come, etc etc etc.

The Nikopol Trilogy: Bilal's head trip of a masterpiece. Features Egyptian gods, a criminal awakened from suspended animation, overthrow of dictators, playing hockey for resources, random cherubs, and pretty much the crack that Bilal is well known for, absolutely gorgeous and brutal. You will probably not find this via... entirely legal means as the cheapest I've seen a used copy going for is $99.

That's good comics right there. Hard to find the English versions in print. They made a movie out of it too. Immortals (Immortel).

Bilal is probably my favorite living comic artist.

Did not know about the movie. Will have to keep that in mind for the future.

Catwoman: the Dark End of the Street: Brubaker does noir origin story with Catwoman and Darwyn Cooke and Mike Allred on art. YES.

Mystic: the Tenth Apprentice: From that miserably failed Crossgen reboot attempt that I want to say they were showing off at C2E2 back in... 2011? G Willow Wilson and David Lopez. Honestly, feels and looks like a Disney movie, if Marvel was looking for something to adapt for an animated film I'd point them this way. Ends way too soon but manages to wrap everything up neatly enough.

Murder Mysteries: P Craig Russell adapts a Gaiman short story about a murder case in Heaven. The original story was pretty neat, but P Craig does amazing things with the visuals here.

Miss: Better Living Through Crime: Humanoids comic about a team of a femme fatale and a Harlem gambler and pimp who respect each other, do crime back in the 20s, and god forbid, actually ends happily? Fucking sold!! Phillipe Thirault and Marc Riou and Mark Vigoroux.

Annotated Mantooth: early Fraction comic with Andy Kuhn on art. It's not real good, it's basically an attempt at James Bond about a gorilla and also drunk idk. But the annotations and the introduction letters are what saves it. It's $5 on Amazon, and worth that at least.

Fell: Warren Ellis and Ben Templesmith do a police crime comic about what's basically Gotham without Batman and no hope of ever getting better, from the POV of a new transfer to the force. Unrelentingly depressing, but fucking gorgeous. Collects the first 8 issues, there's a ninth out, and it's on indefinite hiatus, so this is all we're probably ever gonna get.

Last of the Independents: Kieron Dwyer and Matt Fraction do a crime comic about a heist that inadvertently turns into a gang war. Blend of the "last heist"/Western/Mice and Men. Good art, neat story, fun read if you can find it, but don't go out of your way to if you can't find it for under $10.

The Unwritten 9 to 11: So guess who just realized that this is the same team that did the original Lucifer run (SHUT UP). Vol 9 is a random crossover with Fables that I'm not that much of a fan of, but 10 and 11 get back on track with the story and hit the ending out of the park.

Sigil: Out of Time: Carey and Kirk on another abandoned Crossgen reboot attempt. Manages to wrap itself up neatly enough after being cancelled, it's real pretty, that's about all you can say for something of this length.

Starlight: Millar basically doing a "what if no one believed Flash Gordon and he got old and had to go back and save the planet again" story. Pretty solid on the story front. Goran Pavlov's work on the art is stunning, captures the aesthetic perfectly, and elevates the comic significantly.

Ignition City: Warren Ellis does dystopian steampunk murder mystery focusing on the daughter of a famous spacefarer and the shitty no mans land city where the washed up space farers all live. Fun, quick read.

The Marquis: Inferno: my introduction to Guy Davis. Suffers same face syndrome for some of the human characters, but that's because all the effort went into the creature design. There's one section of this that I posted on FB, and is one of the best transitions of black and white to color for emphasis that I have seen in a comic, ever.

The American Way: Wildstorm does the Avengers during the 60s, and things turn out about as well as you'd think they would, especially with civil rights as applied to the Captain America analogue and the heroes from the South. Also a good dose of government conspiracy and social tensions. Hell of a read, depressing as fuck, but worth it if you can find it.

Akira vol 2: it's a classic of manga/anime for a reason. Pretty sure this is the recent Kodansha edition. Shit continues to be/get fucked this issue.

Pixu: the Mark of Evil: Fabio Moon, Gabriel Ba, Becky Cloonan, and Vasilis Lolos collaborate on a two issue comic about the residents of a haunted house and how all of their lives intertwine. Unsettling and fucking beautiful.

Sacrifice: Sam Humphries and Dalton Rose do a time travel trippy as shit story in which the Aztecs fight back against the Spanish because a young Hispanic man with seizures travels back in time, introduces them to Joy Division, and also becomes a god. Man, I don't even know, it's trippy as shit and beautiful.

Liar's Kiss: Another neat little crime comic with a real good twist right at the end.

Tropic of the Sea: one of Satoshi Kon's early manga, about the relationship between a small traditional ocean town, developers, and what happens when you throw supernatural shit like a mermaid egg into the equation. Pretty rote, but well drawn and it's a neat story.

My Faith in Frankie: Mike Carey and Sonny Liew miniseries surrounding a girl navigating a jealous god, boys, and sinister otherworldly politics, good blend of comedy and actual danger. Pretty neat little mini, would make a cute movie.

Okay, I'm pretty sure that's everything for now.

THE ASTONISHING ANT-MAN #1

Nick Spencer (w) • Ramon Rosanas (a)

Cover by MARK BROOKS

HIP-HOP VARIANT BY MARK BROOKS

COSPLAY VARIANT COVER ALSO AVAILABLE

YOUNG VARIANT BY SKOTTIE YOUNG

KIRBY MONSTER VARIANT COVER BY TRADD MOORE

VARIANT COVER BY MIKE ALLRED

BLANK VARIANT ALSO AVAILABLE

Scott Lang was a down-on-his-luck, divorced ex-con -- until he stole renowned scientist and super hero Hank Pym’s size-altering technology in the hopes of saving his daughter’s life. Through that act of doing wrong for the right reasons, Scott inadvertently learned how to be a hero himself. With Pym’s blessing and his daughter Cassie at his side, he became... The Astonishing Ant-Man! But when a curveball upends Scott’s life, will he continue to be a hero, or will he return to his former life of crime?

32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99

Seems strange to me that they're just dumping the ending they've got, but I'm okay if it means the original team is coming back with Lang.

Caught up on some Crossed.

Crossed Badlands #71-80: this comprises two stories. One that picks up with a minor character from a Japanese storyline a few years back and another that tells a dual story of today and the original outbreak 75K years ago. Pure chilling stuff. Could have been the great ending to the series, but it's continuing on, so fuck it!

Crossed Annual 2014: good stuff. By that I mean, horrific stuff.

Crossed Psychopath #1-7: Another story about how the completely psychopathic get by in this world.. Pretty good. Totally more on the profane side. And in the Crossed world, that means some shit.

Comics: 882

Bombshells #1: Premise is that it's WWII, and the lady heroes are basically stepping it up while the men are on the war front. Yes, that preview that you saw puts Batwoman prior to Batman, and even undoes the idea that Batman even exists in this AU. Deal with it. Maggie and Kate front and center as a lesbian couple (MY GIRLS/LESBIANS), and Amanda Fucking Waller shows up right at the end. Sauvage does perfectly adorable artwork. It's $.99 over on Comixology. Just go get it.

2001: A Space Odyssey Treasury Edition: Kirby's adaptation of the Kubrick film. Kirby clearly loved the movie based on his work here. He is faithful to the film and yet adds some flair (the initial 7-8 pages with the aggressive ape makes him a complete character instead of just an ape that bashes another on the head) and his reading of the film is straight-forward and far better than a lot of film theory shit I've read about it. His 3 double page spreads of the psychedelic experience are an improvement on the film because they don't take that long to get through. Interesting read.

2001: A Space Odyssey #1-10: one of the weirdest series Marvel has ever published. The first six issues are different versions of 18 page remakes of the original film with different savage characters, paralleled with different modern-day/future characters all leading to a fetal space abby at the end. The seventh issue focuses on the fetal space baby. Issues 8-10 provide the origin for Machine Man (called Mister Machine, here).

Lobster Johnson -The Iron Prometheus #1-5: a wild hair reread. Fucking fun pulpy shit. Some great Yellow Scare villainy to coincide with the fear of Nazis. Good stuff. Jason Armstrong's art is a revelation.

Comics: 897

Graphic Novels: 36

Sex Criminals 11: ...this just didn't stick it for me. Maybe it's the long hiatus and not having read it since the beginning of the year. Gonna read the last two issues and see if that helps any.

Casanova Acedia 3: Ahahahahaha yup, I officially have no fuckdamn clue about what the shit is going on here anymore, but by god it's real fucking pretty and a hell of a ride. Hopefully issue 4 stays on track for next month. That'd be fantastic.

Batgirl 42: TBH, I don't really read this for the story. I read it for Babs Tarr's art, and she's really doing great, especially now that she's doing all of her own layouts. There's some shit with Gordon Batman and teaming up with her dad and LiveWire. I don't give a single shit about that. Though Alysia shows up, which is great, as I know that people were sad that she got thrown to the side.

Batgirl Annual 3: One overarching story, four artists linking it all together, well done all. Standouts are when she teams up with Batwoman (Ming Doyle forfuckingever), and goes to Gotham Academy (well done in how the style is executed in the context of what's going on). Also notable is LaFuente on the teamup with Spoiler, and of course the Grayson teamup, because of course she'd recognize dat ass anywhere.

Lazarus 18: Lazy. Lazy writing (you can do better than this Rucka, I fucking know you can!), and lazy art. Might switch to the trade on this.

Mythic 3: We're starting to get a better idea of what's going on, while still keeping the levity. Art is fantastic.

Southern Bastards 10: Okay then. We're just gonna keep focusing on the side characters until the daughter gets into town. Doesn't help that they chose the weakest character coming off of the pause for the trade.

1602: Witch Hunter Angela: 1602 Guardians. Yup. You heard me right. And Carnage. Hans is great on the art, Koh also does fantastic in the Gillen led flashback, and god fucking bless Bennett for the faerie and playwright stuff that gets woven in here. Great mini.

Black Widow 20: Nicely brings things full circle leading into Secret Wars 1. Bless, Noto, for the art here.

Thors 2: Yup, my theory about people showing up in the wake of Secret Wars 4 got proven here. Great interactions on that front, plus more awesome Thor noir. Continues to be one of the better minis out there for this event.

Power Up 1: Kate Leth and Matt Cummings do a take on the magical girl genre featuring, besides the 20 something slacker that you knew was gonna become a magical girl within the first page, a fish, a mom, and a construction worker. Good setup, cute art, let's see where the next few issues take this.

All New Hawkeye 4: Issue is dominated by Perez's watercolor carny flashback, with stuff going on in the present at the bottom of the pages, in a nice reversal of the typical setup. Still not sure what the hell is gonna happen to this in the wake of Secret Wars.

Starlord and Kitty Pryde 1: And again, explains where everyone scattered in Secret Wars 4 is gonna be showing up. Peter is singing Disney songs at the bar from Inhumans Rising, and we get a meetcute with a Kitty working for Valeria. Also Gambit and Drax with Elvis hair.

E is for Extinction 2: Again, continues the Morrison/Quietly run aesthetic, and the general crazy.

Material 3: Best described as a Lamborghini tire fire. Art keeps getting worse, Kot goes even further up his own ass, and I'm basically watching this to see whether or not this gets cancelled before it hits the hitachi vibrator/going down on a girl on her period issue that Kot has talked about. (Son, you need an editor to keep you in check.)