Every comic you've read in 2015

Missy

Jughead #1: Can't believe this is so bad when the Archie book is so good. The art is terrible and the story has some good parts, but is mostly mired in stupidity.

Masks 2 #7: This series is fucking crazy. not great, but good.

Midnighter #5: Oh God, this is good. Midnighter and Grayson fighting monsters? It's all I want in a comic.

Old Man Logan #5: Hrm...not sure.

Plutona #2: two issues in and not much has happened...so why do I like it so much?

Project Nemesis #1: Yeah, didn't grab me.

Rowan's Ruin #1: Maybe a haunted house story? Not sure, but I like it a lot.

Saints #1: another comic a lot like the stuff I write. I really dig this one.

Secret Wars #6: HOW LONG HAVE THEY BEEN DRAGGING THIS SHIT ON?

Iron Fist The Living Weapon vol 2: a bonkers ending to this series which is a wonderful singular work from an amazing artist that doesn't do enough comics work. Kaare Andrews is one of the best we've got.

Nailbiter vol 3: I would have very little trouble proclaiming this as perhaps the finest horror comic of my lifetime. I adore it more than anything else I'm reading. But only a little bit more than...

Birthright vol 2: by the same writer. Perhaps the finest fantasy comic ever made. Goddammit. So good.

Sunstone vol 3: This book is crazy hot. Not really in to lesbian stuff or BDSM but this is fucking hot. The character work is incredible and the art...it's Stjepan Sejic.

Legends of the Dark Knight Norm Breyfogle vol 1: one of the true modern masters of Batman finally gets his due. Unfortunately, the first third of this book is marred by terrible coloring reproduction problems. Not what I want in a book that bears a $58 cover price, that's for sure. That said, it has the Night People and Clayfaces stories that are amazing.

Comics: 1329
Graphic Novels: 52
Trade Paperbacks: 105
Omnibus: 14

• Replies 686
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Strange Tales, vol. 2 (1987) #1-4 - For a brief time, Marvel tried bringing back the split book of the Silver Age, relaunching Strange Tales with Cloak and Dagger and Doctor Strange. It is not successful. Cloak and Dagger is unmitigated garbage from Bill Mantlo, deep in the worst kind of grimdark territory. The art from Brett Blevins is a poor man's Ron Lim, and the entire exercise is ugly and pointless. Doctor Strange is marginally better; written by Peter Gillis, it's fairly typical rote Doctor Strange stuff, and dull more than outright bad. Huge waste of time.

Bombshells 3-13: Basically switches art styles for each issue, with a few mainstays (Marguerite S for the Kate Kane story most notably) for each heroine. Love the feel we've got going on here - Zatanna is a old school Hammer horror, Wonder Woman is a war movie, Kate Kane is a spy serial, Harley is a Looney Tunes, and man, I can't wait to see where all these go. Some are starting to converge, and some are going off very different ways. There's some pretty great cameos (Luthor! Jordan! the Batgirls!!). 

Dial H 1-23.5: Fuck, why didn't this series get more than it did?? Mieville doing superheroes, and as much as I don't like the artist for half the series, even in that back half Ponticelli gets it. Just a great fucking ride of a book. 

Impact Christmas Special: The Impact heroes save George Bush Sr. Yay.

The Crusaders #1-8: An arc of three terrible issues, followed by a pretty good issue, followed by another terrible three issue arc, followed by a weird last issue where one of the heroes died between the issues and his replcement shows up and is like "the old one is dead, I'm the new one! So what's going on? Oh, we're cancelled?" (it didn't actually happen exactly that way).

Crucible-Final Impact #1-6: The Impact universe ends with a sad whimper.

Starve #5: I like this, but I don't quite understand the world it exists in.

Survivor's Club #1: Fucking great. I loved this. I will be following this for sure.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #50: Whoa! Did not necessarily see that coming.

We Stand on Guard #4: Why am I reading this?

Comics: 1348
Trade Paperbacks: 105

Star Trek: TNG - Forgiveness - Set in a time frame that I am not all too familiar with, but could roll with it.  Felt like an episode.  But the lettering was all weird and it took a while to adjust.

Rocket Girl - Time travel is not really my bag.  Not bad and easy enough to follow, but none of the questions raised were ever answered.  That is poor writing for a mini.

Naja - It looked nice.  Solid to good story until the last issue info dump of a climax.  And the lettering.  I'm sure in print it would have been fine, but on my tablet it was almost impossible to read. 

Comics: 403
Digital First Comics: 65
Graphic Novels: 24
Trades: 143 (771)(4)(144)

The art from Brett Blevins is a poor man's Ron Lim,

Oh wow, those are two very diametrically opposed artists...I can't even picture it.

Captain America: Sam Wilson #1 (or is it Sam Wilson: Captain America #1?)

Right off the bat this is so much better than Rick Remender's comic from earlier last year, which actively aspired to be mediocre and treat the whole potential of a black Cap as a joke basically. Sam tries to be more relevant to the needs of the common man and ends up splitting his public association from SHIELD, fighting the Sons of the Serpent who were kidnapping Mexican immigrants coming across the border at the end. Written by Nick Spencer, It's more socially aware and honestly clunkier and not very subtle, but it's not unrealistic either. Spencer could go further into Sam's politics, and I understand why he probably won't. This book really demands being written by a black author, but for what it is it's a step in the right direction, with more stylistically engaging artwork by Daniel Acuna.

No Mercy vol 1: I get why people might like this, but I don't. The first issue is one of the most painful things I've ever had the displeasure of reading. Characters tweeting and taking selfies and communicating in emojis and bullshit like that makes me nauseous. It gets a little better after that, but nowhere near good enough to climb out of the shitter. Also, there's clearly a conspiracy thing going on here so you might want to actually introduce a little bit of mystery in the first volume. 

Ghosted vol1: Awesome. A really great heist book where the group has to steal a ghost. Pretty cool. Josh Williamson is a talented motherfucker, and I think this is the only time I've seen Goran Sudzuku's art. Great.

Daredevil: The Fall of Kingpin: clearly written before anyone though this would be collected in a single volume, but I like Chichester's run on DD. It's unnecessarily panned because all anyone thinks of is BMX Daredevil, and it's so much more than that. Lee Weeks on art helps a lot.

Hero Worship #1-6: an Avatar series "deconstructing superheroes" but it does it a lot better than most others.

Stitched #1-3: there were like 19 issues in this run, but I can't stand Garth Ennis. What a fucking hack.

Atomic Robo vol 1: not as funny as I remember, but a fun adventure book to say the least.

Comics: 1357
Trade Paperbacks: 109

(Slim pickings this week.)

Gotham Academy 11: Manages to deepen the plot while still keeping things relatively light. Good seeing Cheng again, Kreschl's doing well on the art.

/

8House: Yorris: Neat laying out of this nation's conceits, interested to see where the next bit goes. Includes a lot more about the concept work, definitely the first time I've seen one of these creators pimp their Patreon/etc in a book. 

Constantine the Hellblazer 5: Wraps up the first arc nicely, gives us a good foil for Constantine, it's not particularly stellar, but it'll do the job.

Sex Criminals 13: Like the introduction of an ace character and the exploration of what that means. Plus, funny Zdarksy and Fraction art jokes bc of the Harvey. Still, feels like it's getting back on track after last month, thank god. 

Southern Bastards 11: Real pretty, real nice one shot. That said, GET ON WITH IT, AARON AND LATOUR. 

Captain America: White 3: Wait is this just becoming Inglorious Basterds now

Edited by Venneh

Murder Book: an amazing collection of Ed Brisson's Canada-set crime stories illustrated by some amazing artists, including one of my new favorites, Jason Copland. If you find it, grab it.

Southern Bastards vol 2: Holy fuck. It takes real chops to build up someone as the biggest asshole in history in one volume and then to turn around and make him the greatest tragic hero in comics in the next. 

Comics: 1357
Graphic Novels: 54
Trade Paperbacks: 112

Star Wars: Princess Leia, #1-5: Taking place on the heels of A New Hope (it begins at the medal ceremony), Leia and a Rebel pilot (along with Artoo) go on a journey to gather together the remaining vestiges of Alderaanian society. It's a reasonably diverting five-issue mini. Written by Mark Waid, it's not terribly deep, but he gets the character down pretty well, as Leia alternates from iron confidence to total arrogance to utter confusion at the fact that her merely entering a room does not always cow people into reverence. He also manages to give Artoo a couple of badass moments, so there's that. The Dodsons handle art chores, and as usual, they draw pretty women and don't really add much else, although they get the look and feel of Star Wars fairly accurately. And I rarely notice this sort of thing, but Jordie Bellaire makes another case for being one of the best color artists working in comics. All in all, a pretty breezy five issues that pass quickly but entertain well enough.

C.O.W.L. vol 2: goddamn, this book is good. I hope they get around to doing a third volume. The union of superheroes in 1960s Chicago during a strike is such a brilliant high concept and Higgins and Siegel execute the story to PERFECTION. Rod Reis on art is brilliant as well.

Heavy Metal #276: I haven't really read much HM lately, but a lot of that has to do with the availability of European comics on their own as well as the issue I have with periodic storytelling. This issue has a few of those, but it also has the story and images from Jack Kirby and Barry Geller's Lords of Light (the ARGO drawings) and Geller's story behind it all, like he didn't even know that the CIA stole his screenplay and Jack's drawings to save the hostages. Crazy. There's also an insane Frezzatto graphic novel as well as some small chapters by Enki Bilal and JK Woodward. Not bad.

Comics: 1358
Graphic Novels: 54
Trade Paperbacks: 113

I'm generally enjoying the main Star Wars title (it's the first Star Wars comic I ever read that actually felt like Star Wars to me), but I agree that they need to come up with other antagonists in a big hurry. Hell, Vader didn't appear in the original 70s series for two years for that very reason.

I also leafed through a few mid-70s issues of Luke Cage, Power Man, which was a very fun book. The character is cranky as fuck, never seems to actually get paid, and has a general philosophy toward anything that enters his field of vision of "punch it in the face until it falls down and dies". Tony Isabella, comics' go-to when they needed a white guy to write for a black character, handles the scripting fairly well, although art from Ron Wilson and George Tuska was (wait for it) utterly ruined by inking from Vince Coletta.