Every comic you've read in 2015

Missy

Bunch of catchup here. Part one of many.

Bitch Planet 2 and 3: Issue 2 is more set up for the death matches, and world-building, but the real star is the interactions between the women. Things are moving forward, and it's definitely interesting to see where it'll go. Issue 3 is the background for one of the main characters, Penny Rolle. It's very rare that a comic makes me cry. But the combination of everything that happens in this issue and the stuff that it hits on is just an utter gut punch. I don't know if I'm going to have the energy to follow it on a monthly basis, but worst comes to worst I shift to trade, because this needs the support.

Casanova Acedia 1 Okay, first off: Fabio Moon and Gabriel Ba are absolutely killing it on the art here. No idea what's going on in the main story or the backup just yet, but honestly, that's kind of standard for the first issue of a Casanova series; the setup we are getting is enough to keep me interested, though.

Ody-C 2: Yeah, I have a feeling this is similar to taking an acid trip in monthly form. I'm cool with that. The best way I can describe this is basically Barbarella as an acid trip with the original dactyl hexameter intact. I'm still getting a feel for the world, but so far, I'm liking it.

WicDiv 7: Another issue that's building the arc's momentum, but damn, if it isn't amazingly done. More of Laura and Innana being in a buddy cop movie, we get to see more of what exactly is Woden's deal (and the deal with his Valkyries), and what I'm 99% sure is going to be setup for the end of this little arc, and that's all nice and well, but the meat of the issue for me is the night with Morrigan and Baphomet that we get. And this is now leading into something they've straight up described as crazy tomorrow, so we'll see how that goes. Still consistently good on a monthly level.

The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl 1 and 2: Another book very much in the vein of Ms. Marvel - a fun light hearted romp of a monthly book, with sarcastic little quips and annotations (but those are hard to read, even in the digital files). Not quite my thing artistically at times, but still nice.

Angela: Asgard's Assassin 2 and 3: Yeah, no idea what's going on here, but hey, Asgardians being ridiculous, awesome armor, good art, and oh hey, trans character and established lesbians!

Loki Agent of Asgard 10: Al Ewing follows through on the pain of Journey into Mystery and picks up threads that have been left hanging a few years. Art's a little eh, but the series finally seems to be coming into its own. The problem is that it took the better part of ten issues to get here.

Saga 25: Interesting follow up on where we are after the last gap, we've got two distinct groups now, and some interesting new threads, especially given previous dynamics. Bring it.

Ms Marvel 10 and 11: Great wrapup to the first year of issues, and I honestly love where things are wrapping up for now. Kamala's tackled her first big villain, she's starting to find her own feet, and we get the sense of the world starting to get larger for her. Sucks that it's happening as the MU is about to be effectively blasted to bits.

Darth Vader 1: *Imperial March intensifies* Good art, interesting first issue, interested to see where it goes.

Hawkeye 21: Fraction point blank said this was inspired by Rio Bravo. It shows. Oh god, it shows. Aja kicks all the asses on this. In conclusion:

george-michael.gif

Can't wait for next month!

Cowl vol 1: Unionized superheroes set in a Chicago that actually FEELS like Chicago? Okay, you've got my attention, book. Probably gonna pick up the next trade.

• Replies 686
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Flash Gordon #1-8, Christmas Special and Annual: Needed to read these before diving in to the new King series. FG picks up where the King's Watch series left off and keeps all of the fun. This is great comics. The Annual is awful. Just a bunch of gag stories. But the Christmas Special is fun and has a bunch of in continuity stories. Good fun.

Imperium #1: CRazy futuristic story featuring one of the first characters you see in the Valiant universe. Good stuff. Interested to see where it goes. I miss Doug Braithwaite's art!

Comics: 141

Graphic Novels: 10

Trade Paperbacks: 28

Omnibus: 2

Marvel Super-heroes Vol. 1 #13

Captain Marvel Vol. 1 #1, #8, #16-18

Ms. Marvel Vol. 1 #1

Avengers Vol. 1 #183-184

Avengers #197-200

Avengers Annual #10

Uncanny X-Men # 150, 158, 163-164, 171, 174

Quasar #33-34

Avengers Vol. 1 #350-351

Avengers Vol. 3 # 1-6

Iron Man Vol. 3 #7

Captain America Vol. 3 #8

Avengers #7

Iron Man Vol. 3 # 11-12

Avengers #16-18

Iron Man Vol. 3 #18-19, 23-25

Avengers Vol. 3 #26-27. 41-42, 47-48, 53-55, 70

Avengers Finale

House of M #1

Giant-Size Ms. Marvel #1

New Avengers #15

Ms. Marvel Vol. 2 #1-10

Mighty Avengers Vol. 2 #1-6

Ms. Marvel Vol. 2 #31-37

New Avengers Vol. 1 #50

Ms. Marvel # 41-50

Captain Marvel Vol. 7 #1-18

Avengers: The Enemy Within #1

Avengers Assemble #16-17

Captain Marvel Vol. 8 #1-Present

A + X Vol 1 6

To be discussed in an upcoming HG episode. You can probably guess what it's about.

Amazing Spider-Man: Brand New Day - Return of the Black Cat - Rereading these for whatever reason. And while I remembered pretty much everything that happens, I forgot about the time. Everything happens at a much different pace than it did in memory.

Still, as much as I thought OMD/BND was stupid in concept (and the execution of OMD was horrible), this is how I like my Spider-Man. Just reminds me so much of the initial Spider-Man comics I owned. All those Marvel Team-Ups and issues of Spectacular, with the being poor and romantically challenged, that I read 7500 times. These remind me of those and that is a good thing.

Comics: 38
Digital First Comics: 40
Graphic Novels: 1

Trades: 32 (193)(4)

King Flash Gordon #1: Ben Blacker and Ben Acker took over as writers here and...well, they're trying. It ain't very good.

King Jungle Jim #1: I knew these were going to be integrated but I didn't know Jim would be in the jungle of Arboria. I'll give it another issue. Its fun and I trust Paul Tobin.

King Phantom #1: This is the star. Even though it says it features Mandrake the Magician on the cover and it doesn't. Lothar is not the Phantom; he's only wearing the costume until he finds the guy who should. I love it, even though I think we all know how it's going to play out.

Rumble #1,2: Fun and weird.

Comics: 146

Graphic Novels: 10

Morale Stramiglia-Patricia Sex Reporter: Another sleazy euro erotic comic. This one ispretty great, Art is superb and the story feels like it should have been a Cinemax TV show, the female equivalent to the Red Shoe Diaries or something.

Morale Stramiglia-Pension Fiorita: Another one. This is goddamned awful.

Lady Death Apocalypse #1: This is the Boundless comic from Avatar (I think?). I',m not sure if Pulido has anything to do with this which is the same story with Dynamite's Chaos revival. This sucks. The first 20 odd pages are filling in Lady Death backstory, then the rest of the comic is lame. Bad.

Nameless #1: I love Burnham's art on a horror series. He was a sore thumb in Morrison's Batman run, but these two are killing it here. I'm sticking around for a little while I think. Not sure if I'll grab issues or wait on the trade, but it's pretty awesome.

Pandamonia #1: Not having good luck with the animorphic animal series lately. This is bad too.

Comics: 149

Graphic Novels: 12

Tales of the Batman: Len Wein - Got this with my Christmas money and read it over the course of the past two months. Fan-freaking-tastic. The description that keeps coming to mind is "the best episodes of Batman: The Animated Series never made(including a few that were!)" I've read a few of Wein's Batman stories before but now he's gone up to be one of my favorite writers.

And the artwork too. Neal Adams, Marshall Rogers, Walt Simonson, Irv Novick, Jim Aparo, John Byrne, Tom Mandrake, among others. Cannot beat that. The reproduction, coloring and paper quality were just top-notch.

Untold Legend of the Batman was one of the highlights of the book. While the mystery really leads nowhere, it was still a nice exploration of the Batman's history up to that point. The switch from Byrne to Aparo was noticeable but it didn't matter. The splash pages looked especially good in the big hardcover.

Wein's main run on Batman, with Irv Novick as the main illustrator, was really good. He got to play with all the major villains but also the goofier ones like the Calendar Man, Signalman and Crazy Quilt. (Then again in the 70s they might not have seemed all that silly) The two characters that defined this were Lucius Fox and Selina Kyle. I got really sad seeing how Selina's story unfolded, but I'm a big fan of Catwoman anyway.

So yes. Great book, much recommended.

Postal #1: Great beginning to a weird little series. A city of criminals and outcasts (weirdly, something I just started working on....) and the only good person is the severely autistic son of the mayor who has to solve a murder.

Rat God #1: Richard Corben killing it with a character who might as well be Lovecraft himself in the pretentious and ugly lead.

Return of the Living Deadpool #1: Every year or so I pick up a Deadpool comic and read it. Every year the same thing happens: it sucks.

Sensation Comics #22-26: Some good, some atrocious. Only the second two issue arc that I haven't liked was in this bundle, and a lame single issue as well. However, a really great two issue arc is here too. Overall, this series has been pretty great.

Sinergy #4: I think I'm kind of done with this one.

Star Wars #2: I think it looks pretty and is fun, but how many times can the rebels tussle with Vader himself before really fucking up the movie continuity? Two issues in a row.

Sundowners #6: Pretty solid. Not as good as prior issues, but solid.

The Chimera Brigade 2: Whoa. I understood a hell of a lot less of what was going on here than the previous volume, but this was still beautiful and fun to read.

Damnation of Charlie Wormwood #4: Good. Interesting to see where this goes.

The Empty #1: Awful fantasy series.

The Harvester #1: Movie fodder from Legendary comics.

Maxx: Maxximized #16: Completely Maxx-less featuring a tertiary character in a prison cell the whole time. Wonderful. Seriously.

Thor #4, 5: Man Thor shows up and it is glorious. Fun series so far.

Thor Annual #1: A GREAT story featuring future Thor, All-Father of Asgard and his triplet daughters and two jokey throwaway lame stories.

Uber #22: this is pretty much the fastest read in the entire series run so far. Crazy. This is such a dense historical book. Loving it.

Wolf Moon #3: Grotesque, ugly and mean. Beautiful.

Arkham Manor #5: The action starts in this issue and I lose interest. Oh well, one more to go.

Comics: 170

Graphic Novels: 13

Burning Fields #2: This one took a turn for not so interesting anymore.

Creature Cops #2: I think I'm out of this one too.

Curb Stomp #1: No more of this one for me, thanks.

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes #4: Man, am I just in a shitty mood to read comics tonight or what?

Danger Club #7: Whew! These past two issues are WAYYYY more esoteric and psychedelic than the first volume. I think I'll wait for the trade and consume it in one. Like mushrooms.

Dark Gods #4: Whoa! The strange modern mirror to God is Dead is very cool. I'm super-intrigued.

Comics: 176

Teen Titans Earth One - Similar in tone to the rest of the Earth One books, but is less grim about it and has brighter artwork. Not sure if I agree with the portrayal of Deathstroke, but the characterization overall is really good. I wanna see more of this Raven, she was a standout for me.

Hellboy: Seed of Destruction - Entertaining but I haven't gotten much of a sense of the characters yet. First real exposure to Mike Mignola's sequential art. For being just solid blocks of colors at some points, I thought the storytelling was great. Overall, I'm going to read some more Hellboy, but I'm not rushing.

Also I was browsing through the Len Wein book again, and I found what I think is the best Joker that Jim Aparo has ever drawn.

tumblr_inline_nktoxlKUL11r2izzz.jpg

Aparo was the best.

As far as Hellboy goes, it gets much better with the next volume. Mignola was new to writing and John Byrne did a lot of the writing on that first mini. As a result, you had story from someone who didn't really know the characters, but could pace comics really well.

Amazing Spider-Man: The Gauntlet - Grim Hunt - It did strike me until the last issue, but this is just Knightfall with Spider-Man. Just an observation. I really enjoyed what they did with Rhino here. I'll take a stab and say it is the best the character has ever been written. Also, I still not like Bachalo's art at all on this book. Does not fit.

Killer Queen: A Comic Anthology - 'Inspired' by the music of Queen. Each is only twelve pages and I have no idea what these were. Just reminds me of the Mitch Hedberg joke "Did you hear the story about that lady who drove her children into the river and they all drowned? Yes I did, and it inspired me to write a movie about a gorilla!".

Batman '66 - Got caught up on the last few. 1 of 2 things happened. Either these were just really fun stories OR these work better when read as individual issues rather than a collection. I am leaning toward the latter.

Comics: 42
Digital First Comics: 42

Trades: 38 (225)(4)

Darth Vader #2: More of the same. Not sure how much they can have Vader tangling with rebels before the plot of the original trilogy is obliterated.

EI8HT #1: I can't remember a single thing from this comic.

Epochalypse #4: Crazy time travel fun., Good stuff.

G.I.Joe Snake Eyes Agent of Cobra #2: Good times.

G.I.Joe Classics vol 1: The first 10 issues of the original Marvel run. For research considering I read the entire run last year.

Comics: 180

Trade Paperbacks: 29

God is Dead #29: Still great.

Ivar, Timewalker #2: Amazing. Love this series.

King-Mandrake the Magician #1: Nope. I'm out. Terrible art, jaunty story. Disappointment.

King-Prince Valiant #1: Ooh. Dis good.

Men of Wrath #5: Fuck. Nasty and mean-spirited. Love it. Ron Garney should draw everything.

Plunder #1: Interesting start. Not sure where it will go from here. I'll give it another issue.

Quantum and Woody Must Die! #1,2: Fun. Good stuff.

Rasputin #4,5: The right mix of historical, fantasy and psychedelia.

Rumble #3: Ehhh...not really feeling this. Love the visuals and the style. The story hasn't grabbed me yet, though.

Secret Identities #1: It's almost the rule to deconstruct the superhero these days. This is an example of it being done well.

Comics: 192

Trade Paperbacks: 29

Amazing Spider-Man: One Moment in Time - The Return of Anti-Venom - They spent the last 25 issues making Peter's life shit. So they take the next 30 to make it awesome. And while I think Spider-Man shouldn't be dark, these kinda missed the mark. It all felt a little light. And not a fan of Spidey being on the FF.

Trades: 44 (255)(4)

Moon KNight vol1: Declan Shalvey's art is brilliant and worth buying the book for. It's the first Warren Ellis book I've read in a long time, and it might be another long time. Nothing about this story that isn't covered in the first 8 pages of the first issue.

Suiciders #1: Interesting Vertigo Sci Fi series.

Black Hood #1: A lot like X obviously. More interestingly, we come at this from him being a normal cop first, Interesting. Great art.

Uncanny Avengers #1,2: I couldn't tell you what happened in these two issues if you put a gun to my head.

Comics: 196

Trade Paperbacks: 30

Ant-Man #3: oh man, Taskmaster fights Lang, who considers him his archnemesis even though Taskmaster doesn't really remember him. I love Taskmaster. It only makes this series better. The reason for the fight is even better.

Descender #1: No thanks. I like a lot of Lemire's stuff. Nguyen is a great artist. This is incomprehensible BS. So many modern sci fi comics are just plain "weird for weird's sake" and this is one of them.

GI Joe #6: So dang good.

God Is Dead #30: Still great. Can't believe this is bi-monthly.

Hell boy and the BPRD #4: The shit hits the fan. It took a little long, but I love Maleev's art, so the wait was worth it. Definitely better as a trade I imagine.

Hellbreak #1: Comes kind of close to soemthing I'm writing, but it's fun and crazy. Nothing to speak of story-wise really as it was a real introductory issue.

Howard the Duck #1: Fun, weird and great art. Not laugh out loud funny, but bizarre. I'm in for another issue.

Comics: 203

Imperium #2: Whoa! Major change from last issue. Solid story unfolding here. Great art. I'm along for the ride. Valiant is a publisher with more good series going than any other comics publisher right now. By a margin too.

Joe Frankenstein #1: This is the first comic I've bought with Chuck Dixon's name on it since he was an asshole to me as a kid. I didn't kickstart it for that reason, but I was interested in the book. It isn't good. It isn't terrible, it just isn't good.

Nameless #2: Ok, I'm out. This story doesn't feel like it has a clue where it's going. Sometimes Morrison's like that and you can trust him because his characters can be great. In this book, every character is a fucking cipher and when every character is a cipher, it doesn't work when they are put together. Shamefully bad writing.

Ninjak #1: Holy shit! Loved this!

Postal #2: Oh man...this will probably be a TV show in a couple years. It will be great too.

Princess Leia #1: This was good, but there has to be a breaking point with how much they are going to pit the rebels against Darth Vader in between the films to make the films stop making sense. There have been, what, five issues in this continuity so far and it's already off the rails.

Project Superpowers-Blackcross #1: Wow. I haven't read an Ellis book and enjoyed it in close to a decade. This one is superb. In fact, it feels like the good version of what Morrison is trying to do in Nameless. I'm along for the ride on this.

Rat God #2: Just going to admit that I don't have a fucking clue what is going on here. Maybe I'll drop it and grab the trade. Corben is great on art though.

Sensations Comics...#27: a good one.

Southern Cross #1: Tediously mediocre.

Star Wars #3: See what I said above.

Star Trek Planet of the Apes #3: This sucks. I'll say it. It's bad. But it's kind of fucking fun too.

Sundowners #7: This has one of the creepier moments I've read in comics in a long time.

TMNT: Mutanimals #1: These guys are a minor part of the regular TMNT series I take it who have their own mini. Damned if I don't love it! I might have to go back and read the IDW Turtle books.

The Damnation of Charlie Wormwood #5: Man, they're kind of trying to blow the story wide open now and I really enjoyed it more when it was small and intimate. Not something you see in comics much lately.

The Surface #1: I get it. They're doing amazing, transgressive things with the art form, but it isn't something that interests me.

Comics: 219

Batwing vol 1: Interesting story. Some of it is so very typical, but there is some other goodness here. Story went where I thought it would, but didn't go far enough. I'd be interested in a volume 2. Will there be one? I don't know.

Black Science vol 1: Woof. This is Remender wrangling a story simply so his artist can draw establishing shots that are ripoffs of Frank Frazetta paintings. Unfortunately, Frazetta this guy ain't.

Black Charity: a graphic novel akin to Charles Burns without the fantasy. I don;t know what the hell is really going on, but there's a really great 5 page sequence of a guy getting the shit kicked out of him and then pissed on. There's also some great dog shit revenge. Pretty sure there's no story though.

Comics: 219

Graphic Novels: 14

Trade Paperbacks: 32

Amazing Spider-Man: Spider-Island - Ends of the Earth - I like the characters. I like their progression and individual stories. The actual plots of the books, not so much. Felt like a holding pattern for three trades until Ends of the Earth. Which...

Amazing Spider-Man: No Turning Back - Dying Wish - should have been how the series ended. Finally back to where I left off two years ago, and kinda went out with a whimper. Like Ends of the Earth (#687) was the logical place to make the switch to Superior, but they wanted the nice clean (#700) ending. The next ten issues felt like the tying up of loose ends and nothing more.

I will admit knowing how things play out (at least in the headline sense) did color some enjoyment I would have had. Personal preference, but knowing how the story ends is kinda a killer for me.

Trades: 51 (301)(4)

The Multiversity Guidebook: the examples of heroes from all the different earths is cool, but it kind of sucks when you think that barely any of them will ever get any play in comics. Most of the ones that will receive comics will do so retroactively because of Red Son, etcetera. This "series" is at its best when it doesn't try and cover an overarching story. That's all the two stories in this book do and so, it sucks. This series has been a huge disappointment.

The Multiversity Mastermen: This, on the other hand, was great. A self-contained story without reaching toward any other Multiversity books. That's when this series works best. Jim Lee on art helps a lot. Nazi Superman is a great aesthetic and story device too.

Comics: 221

Trade Paperbacks: 32

Monster War #1-4: This is a Top Cow/Dynamite miniseries featuring Magdalena, Witchblade and Darkness teaming up with Lara Croft to battle Dracula, Mr. Hyde and Frankenstein's Monster. It sounds great. It isn't. Croft has no business being there and the story is so....ugh. No thank you.

Point of Impact: A pretty solid crime miniseries from Jay Faerber who usually write intimate superhero stuff. Sort of feels a little bit like a failed screenplay, but it's pretty fun regardless.

Bloodshot vol 5: Out of all the Valiant stuff this one feels the most like old school Valiant (next to the original Quantum and Woody team on that awful miniseries), but it's really fun. The Bart Sears artwork brought me back.

Comics: 225

Trade Paperbacks: 34

Spectacular Spider-Man (Vol. 2) - For the life of me, I cannot understand the need for this. Nothing is bad, and I love the poker issue. But having just read Amazing, nothing here is referenced, and in most cases, completely ignored. I think having multiple Spidey titles worked in the late 80s, but not now. Making Amazing be the only book (published a lot) made things better.

That's Because You're A Robot - I liked the title. So I read. And that was a waste. Art is not for me, but I don't see who the writing is for.

Comics: 70

Trades: 51 (301)(4)

Altered States Vampirella #1

Altered States Red Sonja #1: Both of these are terrible. What Ifs based in the Dynamited universe. Terrible, though.

Thor #6: Thor's search for who the new Thor is is pretty great, but the real star of this series thus far has to be Dario Agger, the Roxxon CEO villain. So awesome.

Uber #23: Insane. So good.

Wolf Moon #4: Crazy intense, great horror.

Shadowman vol 4: End of the main series, I guess. Kind of fizzled out a little bit.

Daredevil vol 2: Brilliance. Waid, Samnee et al will be considered the definitive team on this character for a very long time.

Clive Barker's Next testament vol 2: Ho. Lee. Shit.

Comics: 230

Trade Paperbacks: 37