Every Film You've Watched in 2015

dc20willsave

• Replies 948
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Jodorowsky's Dune: This is a really good documentary, and it puts a lot of things into perspective. Would Jodorowsky's version of Dune have been better than Lynch's version? Who knows? But all I can really say is that this documentary was outstanding.

Films Watched: 84

Repeats: 1

The Death of "Superman Lives"; What Happened?: (none of that is a typo; that's the actual name of the movie, right down to the semi-colon.) Jon Schnepp, the Metalocalypse guy, put together this documentary about the failure of the fabled late-1990s event picture to launch. It's a fascinating behind-the-scenes that sheds a lot of light on the Hollywood studio system of the time, and has in depth interviews from pretty much every major player involved. Tim Burton clearly has no idea why anyone would want to talk to him about a movie he didn't make 15 years ago, and then proves why people want that when he gives passionate and detailed answers to every question thrown at him. Every writer (there were three drafts) has stories of the process; Colleen Atwood goes over the costume designs (the one we've seen online was a very early proof of concept); there's tons and tons and tons of concept artwork, all of which is gorgeous; and everyone, absolutely everyone, has a "Jon-Peters-is-a-crazed-preposterous-clown" story. Peters himself is interviewed, and at the very least proves to be an entertaining crazed preposterous clown. Kevin Smith comes in and tells the same "giant spider" story he's been dining out on for the past fifteen years, and adds virtually nothing else to the film but his name (as soon as the movie went into production, his script was thrown out on the basis of not being very good, and he had nothing at all to do with the actual production of the movie; even he, here, describes it as fanfic), but everyone else gives a lot of detailed, interesting insight into what it takes to navigate Hollywood and attempt to pull together a gigantic production that would have been among the most expensive movies ever made.

Also, we finally see the final Superman suit here for the first time, and it really wasn't bad.

I suspect it would have been an interesting movie I would have liked at the time but which didn't hold up well. However, I am kinda bummed that I live in a world where Christopher Walken never played Brainiac.

I suspect it would have been an interesting movie I would have liked at the time but which didn't hold up well. However, I am kinda bummed that I live in a world where Christopher Walken never played Brainiac.

I watched it on the plane trip back home from SDCC, an yeah THAT made me laugh out loud. The Walken-Brainiac head on spider-legs, fucking awesome.

Well, spider-Walkens are the fiercest killers in the animal kingdom.

:lol:

Yeah, I think the movie would have been weird and problematic as hell, but Walken as Brainiac could have legitimately been awesome. I think it was said best in the documentary when they said that no matter what, it would have been a really interesting movie.

Justice League Gods and Monsters: about as good as the mid-level pre New 52 animated films they put out. About as good as one of the multi-episode JLU arcs. Just nothing to really set it apart. Not as good as the introductory comic books.

Feature Films: 110

Documentaries: 7

Justice League Gods and Monsters: about as good as the mid-level pre New 52 animated films they put out. About as good as one of the multi-episode JLU arcs. Just nothing to really set it apart. Not as good as the introductory comic books.

Feature Films: 110

Shameless Plug:

http://thebatmanuniverse.net/justice-league-gods-and-monsters-9/

Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation

Had me glued to the screen for the entire run time; I didn't even want to leave to take a wee despite being desperate to go by the end, in case I missed something.

Never seen Rebecca Ferguson in anything before, but she was amazing here as Ilsa Faust.

Slow West: A western that I got taken to at our local indie cinema tonight., Ostensibly about this naive boy from Scotland who's come over to the West to find the girl he loves, but really about something else entirely. You knew things weren't going to end well, but they kind of did. Sort of.

Pixels: this was a lot of fun. More serious than I expected. Kevin James plays the President of the United States. That's a pretty crazy sentence to type. Davin LOVED it. More than Avengers 2 and Guardians of the Galaxy. I had a pretty amazing moment explaining who Max Headroom was to him.

Feature Films: 112

X-Men: Days of Future Past - The Rogue Cut: Turns out this wasn't just a matter of splicing Anna Paquin back into the movie. This version of the film is nearly twenty minutes longer, bringing it up to two and a half hours. This allows Singer to slow things down and get more into the details of the world, and to better explain exactly what the hell is going on here (for people who aren't familiar with the source material, this can actually be a very confusing movie; this cut is much, much clearer about the future awfulness, exactly how Kitty's plan works, and how the changes affect future events).

If you were wondering how much darker and grimmer the future scenes could get, the answer is tons. Tons more darker. The fights with the Sentinels are even more brutal than they were originally, and everything is terrible, all the time.

Rogue doesn't actually add anything. Her contributions are minimal and easily excised; she's here precisely because hey, wouldn't it be great to have Anna Paquin back so now we have all the original X-Men from the first movie here, but I can definitely understand the decision to cut her scenes. She doesn't even appear until nearly two hours in. If anything, her introduction serves Xavier, Magneto, and Iceman far more effectively. In fact, Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellen are given more to do in this cut, which is great to see, since they were so wasted originally.

All in all, it straddles a line between being a cleaner, superior cut of the film, and being far too long. Two and a half hours is an awful lot of X-Men movie. The original cut was pushing it in that respect. However, the storytelling in this cut is improved to the point that it pretty much counterbalances things.