Every Film You've Watched in 2015

dc20willsave

• Replies 948
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I actually wasn't a fan of the Rogue Cut at all. Most of it was extra unnecessary lines, and the Rogue scenes only make the movie more complicated. I actually thought the original cut was very tight and easily-understood, but the new cut almost lost me once or twice.

I really don't think the Rogue Cut is something that needed to happen, and it only lessens the movie as a whole. And this is coming from someone who thinks the theatrical versions of Lord of the Rings should be tossed into the fires of Mount Doom and only the extended cuts should ever be viewed.

I'm not going to argue the point too greatly - it's more a reflex whenever someone dares criticise two venerated knights of the realm! - but on one point:

They're pretty fucking old for a superhero movie.

Their scenes are set in the future, duh! :P

Howard the Duck: Is it bad? Why yes, yes it is but there's much worse.

Starship Troopers: This is a movie that confounds me. I am always torn if it's a bad movie that stumbled into clever satire or if it actually is good satire. There are times it gets really heavy handed but still, I never know what to think with this one.

Feature Films: 60

Direct to DVD: 2

Made-For-TV: 2

Repeats: 3

Riff-Trax Assisted: 1

Starship Troopers: This is a movie that confounds me. I am always torn if it's a bad movie that stumbled into clever satire or if it actually is good satire. There are times it gets really heavy handed but still, I never know what to think with this one.

It's decent satire and also a really fun B-movie.

It's kind of the Cabaret dilemma: Sally Bowles is supposed to not be a very good singer. That's why she's stuck in that crappy club. So you either cast a not-very-good singer, and you spend the entire show listening to mediocre performances, or you cast Liza Minnelli, and you spend the entire time wondering what the fuck she's doing in that terrible place. Verhoeven cast his gritty millitary space epic with vapid 90210 actors as a big part of the satire, and what we're stuck with is a lot of really terrible, wooden performances. Even NPH hadn't figured out how to be NPH yet at that point.

Don't get me wrong; I love Starship Troopers and think it's a lot smarter than people give it credit for. But intentionally casting bad actors gets you a lot of bad acting.

I feel like Starship Troopers is legitimately good because it does exactly what it's trying to do and is really entertaining along the way. If it were trying to be Schindler's List in space, then yeah, it would be a failure and a bad movie. But it's a cartoony satire/farce about space marines fighting giant bugs. I've always felt that the bad acting is part of what makes the movie so fun, and I don't think it's by accident.

And then we can also get into trying to define "bad" acting, but that's an endless vortex of of debate that ends with me INSISTING that everyone is wrong about Mark Hamill's brilliantly on-point performance in Star Wars.