Every Film You've Watched in 2015

dc20willsave

Skin Traffik: Ooh...someone's watched a lot of crime/action films and said "I can make one of those!" He must have pictures, because I have no idea how he landed the supporting cast that he did.

Feature Films: 172

Documentaries: 13

Short films: 8

Rewatches: 3

• Replies 948
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I started watching the second batch of ESPN's 30 for 30 documentaries.  Finished Broke, which I remember people going nuts over when it first aired.  And I spent the entire run time thinking about how poorly this documentary was edited rather than any information it was trying to convey.  That is the first time I have done that.

Race For Your Life, Charlie Brown: One of the four Peanuts films from the 70s and 80s. Of them, this is the one that I felt best used it's time. There are times that are off (they're at Summer camp yet it's snowing at two points) but I just use most of them to fuel my "Peanuts takes place in a post-apocalyptic world" theory.

Spectre: It felt a little too padded but I enjoyed it. More detailed thoughts in the thread.

Feature Films: 87
Direct to DVD: 5
Made-For-TV: 2

Repeats: 7
Riff-Trax Assisted: 12

Kill Bill vol. 1: Haven't seen it in years. And honestly, this movie is an event, and an event that I needed. 

Films Watched: 157

Repeats: 3

You know, I just watched this one for the first time and I wasn't blown away by it.  It really felt like Tarantino at his most self-indulgent and over-the-top, I know that's the point but I found it tiresome.  I enjoyed Part 2 more but all in all, they sit at the bottom of his body of work for me.

Your Vice is a Locked Room and Only I Have the Key: a giallo from 1972 from director Sergio Martino, who directed my favourite giallo, Torso. This one is not as good, but is a really interesting adaptation of Edgar Allan Poe's Black Cat. Also, the breathtaking Edwige Fenech is in it and it's glorious. Seriously she looked like this in 1972:

Your%2BVice%2Bis%2Ba%2BLocked%2BRoom%2B3

and yet still looked like this - in a still from the special features - 33 years later:

fenech.jpg

Yowza!

Feature Films: 174

Documentaries: 13

Short films: 8

Rewatches: 3

Fantastic Four (2015): See above.

What's good here: the casting is pretty strong. The body horror elements work really well.

What's not: nothing fucking happens in this movie. The accident that gives them their powers takes until the movie is almost halfway over. Then a lot more nothing goes on. Finally at the end there's a battle, and it's decent, but it's short. And Hollywood's complete lack of any idea of how to do Doctor Doom continues uninterrupted.

This wasn't nearly the horror show that merited the critical dogpile it got, but I'm still waiting for my good FF movie.

The critical dogpile started before they began principle photography and continued unabated and without merit. The movie never had a chance. It still manages to be the best FF movie (not taking into account the Surfer stuff from the last sequel), not that that's saying much.

I thought the first half was the better part, where there was just enough characterization to allow the actors to do some interesting stuff. Then the accident happens, and characterization just gets thrown out the window. Save that scene with Reed and Ben talking after he got captured, Johnny hugging Reed(even though he probably should have been mad at him first) and some of the horror involved with Doom, everything felt flat. And of course, except for Reed, the four don't really interact with each other all that much. I'll defend the movie more than most, but I really wish this cast was given something different. 

And wow, could the last scene have been any more like the end of Age of Ultron?

Edited by Davedevil

Silent Hill: Revelation: There are brief parts I liked (The giant mannequin spider for example) but then it turns into the worst kind of video game movie: The kind that seems like a video game and not the good kind. Also, it's obvious that the thing was made to cash in on the early days of the current 3-D craze.

D2: The Mighty Ducks: In some ways, I prefer the sequel. In most, there are huge problems, namely how a guy who barely lasted a season in the minors and coached a team for maybe half of a season ends up coaching a national team and gets to bring most of his old team. Most not including the ones who just disappear (including the brother of one of the kids) and then I forgot Guy was even a character in the first one. Also, in any other movie, these would be the bad guys and the team from Trinidad and Tobago would be the heroes.

Batman and Robin: I don't care how bad it is, I can always get enjoyment out of it.

Who Framed Roger Rabbit: Why do I not own a copy of this? It's almost perfect and one of the rare films that can combine hand-drawn animation and live-action acting effectively.

Feature Films: 91

D2: The Mighty Ducks: In some ways, I prefer the sequel. In most, there are huge problems, namely how a guy who barely lasted a season in the minors and coached a team for maybe half of a season ends up coaching a national team and gets to bring most of his old team. Most not including the ones who just disappear (including the brother of one of the kids) and then I forgot Guy was even a character in the first one. Also, in any other movie, these would be the bad guys and the team from Trinidad and Tobago would be the heroes.

Any movie that has the Icelandic Junior Goodwill Games Hockey Team in it cannot have any other villains.  You notice how you never saw their game with Trinidad & Tobago?  Too graphic for a Disney movie.

Any movie that has the Icelandic Junior Goodwill Games Hockey Team in it cannot have any other villains.  You notice how you never saw their game with Trinidad & Tobago?  Too graphic for a Disney movie.

I always preferred the Duck sequels to the original. Kenan Thompson>Danny Tamberelli

Punisher War Zone:

Re-watched this for the second time in my life for the purposes of a podcast (now on sale!). I liked it more than I did last time I saw it, but the cons equate the pros to my mind. I think a general rule for comic based films is to NOT DO comedic villains. Just don't LBJ can get bent.

T'was almost worth it for shots like this tho:

33-more-of-the-greatest-movie-punches-ev

Edited by Donomark

Hocus Pocus: Does not hold up all that well for me but still fun in spots. This is Bette Midler's movie and anytime it lingered on the kids for too long, I found myself yawning.

The Hunger Games: Can't remember if I've watched this yet this year but I don't think so and not looking through 33 pages to check. I still enjoy it. This is probably the most self-contained in the series and that is a high point but it does look a bit lower in budget as well. Jennifer Lawrence is awesome.

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire: I found myself liking it a lot more. It improves a fair deal of the faults of the first while still finding a couple of new ones. Still, a worthwhile watch. Jennifer Lawrence is still awesome.

The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 2: More detailed thoughts in the thread but it works. A very brutal film. Jennifer Lawrence will always be awesome.

Feature Films: 95